Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Unless the motor is hanging out the back the extra mass is near the CG. A 24mm G would make the rocket MORE STABLE.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Anybody used an E-12 in a SatV? How would one change the build (mine is not started yet...)to be able to use one?

This is how I tested one of the first E12 motors two years ago. I installed it in a stock motor mount of the latestes release of the Saturn V. Wraped a couple layers of tape around it and the engine hook so it would not eject out and flew it. I didn't add any nose weight to the model. It flew higher and straighter then it could ever do on a D12 motor.

Apart from changing the standard engine hook to the longer E engine hook and moving the engine block further into the motor mount, I don't believe any additional nose weight will be needed, but a little clay up front wouldn't hurt either.

John Boren
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
This is how I tested one of the first E12 motors two years ago. I installed it in a stock motor mount of the latestes release of the Saturn V. Wraped a couple layers of tape around it and the engine hook so it would not eject out and flew it. I didn't add any nose weight to the model. It flew higher and straighter then it could ever do on a D12 motor.

Apart from changing the standard engine hook to the longer E engine hook and moving the engine block further into the motor mount, I don't believe any additional nose weight will be needed, but a little clay up front wouldn't hurt either.

John Boren
Thank you, Mr Boren. I appreciate the information!

Curtis
Old 07-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
That's really great and important news. How has it performed in a range of wind conditions? How much wind is okay?

I used to fly a LOT of SVs, and I had a 2 cluster mount and a three cluster mount that itself was inserted into the motor mount tube and extended out the rear. I always used the Centuri clear plastic fin add-ons and a tower free nose cone on flight.

Jerry
Old 07-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
How has it performed in a range of wind conditions? How much wind is okay?

I'll let all of you guys out there to do the testing on the Saturn V in countless wind conditions and report back to us.

I don't have that much time since I'm busy designing the next rocket kit that I hope people will buy.

John Boren

Last edited by JumpJet : 07-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.