Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default AVI Astroport body tubes

I was browsing through the old plans yesterday and thought AVI's Star Warrior might be a neat rocket to build, but I am not sure if their body tube sizes correspond to anything being made today, ie T25, T19, T15, T24 coupler. Are the numbers the outside diameter of the tubes?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison Alum
I was browsing through the old plans yesterday and thought AVI's Star Warrior might be a neat rocket to build, but I am not sure if their body tube sizes correspond to anything being made today, ie T25, T19, T15, T24 coupler. Are the numbers the outside diameter of the tubes?

The numbers correspond to tube diameters in millimeters. Their tube wall thickness was .5mm. I only recall the T15, T20, T25, and T30 size tubes. I don't recall a T19.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks.
The T19 is their engine tube, not a body tube, which was what made me think they were using the diameter for the designations.
Thanks again.
John
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison Alum

According to this AVI catalog page, AVI used MPC parts. As I understand it, present-day Quest also uses MPC dimensions. Thus, this Quest tube table should be of some help in ascertaining dimensions from the AVI callouts.

FWIW, if you wanted to simply build a reasonable facsimile, Estes and Centuri dimensioned tubes might be more readily available. Some quick and dirty crosses are as follows. (Just in case, for more info, the Estes and Centuri tube dimensions are on the same page with the Quest parts linked above.) These are not exact crosses, but are within a millimeter or so.

T25 : Estes BT-50
T19 : Estes BT-20
T15 : Estes BT-5

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your quick response.
John
Old 10-14-2012, 04:03 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
According to this AVI catalog page, AVI used MPC parts. As I understand it, present-day Quest also uses MPC dimensions. Thus, this Quest tube table should be of some help in ascertaining dimensions from the AVI callouts.

FWIW, if you wanted to simply build a reasonable facsimile, Estes and Centuri dimensioned tubes might be more readily available. Some quick and dirty crosses are as follows. (Just in case, for more info, the Estes and Centuri tube dimensions are on the same page with the Quest parts linked above.) These are not exact crosses, but are within a millimeter or so.

T25 : Estes BT-50
T19 : Estes BT-20
T15 : Estes BT-5

Doug

Good info. I thought someone already built one of these, but it was the Canaroc Orbitron http://www.oldrocketplans.com/canar...K-9/canDK-9.htm I was thinking of, so I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Just ordered some supplies from BMS. I plan on going with a 24mm motor mount, so I am using the thick walled tubing and also using 1/8 basswood for the fins instead of 3/32 balsa. The nose cone will probably end up being the Sprite nosecone. History says this may take a while, but I will post some pictures here and there when I get something accomplished worth looking at. Not sure what the original decals look like, but that just means that it will be an empty canvas to paint as I see fit.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Parts from Balsa Machine came in Thursday and I finally got a chance to go to the post office and pick them up today. Will post the build on a different thread, but it may take a while. i am also gathering parts for an Estes Solar Sailer. so I may do that one first.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Junior Rocketeer

I've been looking for the decal scans for the Star Warrior for some time. I scratch built a close clone out of tubes I had lying around and it's a great flyer just needs to be dressed up.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I havent found any decals, either, but was going to dress it up some with some of the techniques I saw on bradycross' Fly me post on TRF. If that is your Star Warrior on rocketreviews, it is really nice looking. I saw it when I first started looking into making a clone.