Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Master Modeler

John, I noticed that your JT-80C is also cut rough like mine in both my kits. I am only currious, did Estes cut there own tubes? Mine look pretty bad, heck I think I could have done a better job. I am only wondering because it seems it would have taken a long time to cut a bunch of these tubes by hand. I thought Estes ordered there tubes pre-cut from a dealer.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:51 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
John, I noticed that your JT-80C is also cut rough like mine in both my kits. I am only currious, did Estes cut there own tubes? Mine look pretty bad, heck I think I could have done a better job. I am only wondering because it seems it would have taken a long time to cut a bunch of these tubes by hand. I thought Estes ordered there tubes pre-cut from a dealer.

Hi;

I think my photo makes the edges look worse than they are, most likely because of the depth of field. My part appears to have the same factory edge that most Estes tubes have, so I'm pretty sure it was cut by their tube vendor. Estes outsourced tubes after just a couple of years of operation, it seems.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 03-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I think my photo makes the edges look worse than they are, most likely because of the depth of field. .
That's my take, too.

I have a couple of these at the house, one left over from my Super Big Bertha interpretation

I thought they were kinda wimpy, but, since these were intended to be mated permanently to both tubes, they don't need to be very long nor any stronger than the tubes being joined. So I concluded they are in fact up to the task (when used with perfectly square cut tubes as is generally the case with Estes).

BUT, since we all like to break our SBB's, Comanches, et al, in the middle, then an aftermarket coupler is a must. As a result, I have these leftovers. One of these days, I need to put all my undersized/leftover motor tubes, parachutes and shock cords on Ebay along with my 21mm FSI parts

Doug
Old 05-31-2020, 03:11 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Question Estes Star Rider 2010 decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor

Resurrecting another ancient thread (it's what I do, apparently):

Has anybody redrawn the Estes Star Rider #2010 decals?

If so, can you point me to a link? Thanks in advance.
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 05-31-2020, 03:54 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Default Estes Star Rider 2010

Sorry, another nitpicking update on this archaic thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
Over at JimZ, there's a note that says:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est2010.txt

"The ring fins on the Star Rider are BT-80 24mm long, and the [BT-50] body tube is 350 mm long."

[SNIP]The Kevin Johnson "Star Rider" review on EMRR used the stock Nemesis 12.7" BT-50.
https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes...in-johnson.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I have an unopened kit and I measured the tube [and] it is indeed 12.7" long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
...the BT-50L entry in the 1974 Parts Catalog is indeed correct, and as Gordon has already reported, the airframe tubes I measured in the approximately half-dozen Star Rider kits I examined for the Tube Reference all fell within the variance I discussed in the Appendix of the Tube Reference document. As Craig mentions, the BT-50L is notorious for being cut at slightly different lengths. 12.7" (12-11/16") is as good a nominal measurement as any.
Given these “...two original kit data points,” per original poster EV:

12.7" = 323 mm, instead of 350 mm as noted on the original Estes instruction sheet.

Anal retentive? Sure. To a former TV news reporter? No. A minor detail, yes, but now my brain can stop spinning.

Moving on,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014

Last edited by Tau Zero : 05-31-2020 at 04:16 PM.