Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Craftsman

Do you think that this ASJ Insulation tape https://www.mcmaster.com/76755a67 is the same stuff Enerjet and Centuri made the shock cord mounts from? Should I buy some and see if my K40 laser cutter can handle it?
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 01-20-2020, 07:44 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1
Do you think that this ASJ Insulation tape https://www.mcmaster.com/76755a67 is the same stuff Enerjet and Centuri made the shock cord mounts from? Should I buy some and see if my K40 laser cutter can handle it?

Go for it!
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-20-2020, 07:50 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1

Could be; I wish they had a better photo of the material itself. That on the web page does not really show enough detail of the material to verify.

And the material Centuri used varied a bit over the years also. Sometimes, the foil layer was the prominent layer visible and other times the material seemed to be predominated by the paper layer. But in each case it was a mixture of foil, paper, and filaments of what appeared to be Fiberglas threads or nylon threads.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-22-2020, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
But in each case it was a mixture of foil, paper, and filaments of what appeared to be Fiberglas threads or nylon threads.

Earl

Hello, Earl !

I have long-suspected that the material that Centuri used was either some sort of heavy-duty packing / strapping tape . . . OR some type of HVAC Duct tape.

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  117.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1b.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  179.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1c.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  97.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1d.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  87.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1e.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  113.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1f.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  145.3 KB  
Old 01-22-2020, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Could be; I wish they had a better photo of the material itself. That on the web page does not really show enough detail of the material to verify.

Earl

Earl,

"Adapt & Overcome" . . . One must be resourceful, because "Failure Is Not An Option" !

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Venture+...f=bl_dp_s_web_0

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Venture+...ef=nb_sb_noss_2

https://www.amazon.com/Venture-Tape...5KQ/ref=sr_1_12

https://www.amazon.com/FSK-Foil-Scr...BSM/ref=sr_1_10

One example of a SIMILAR product . . .

Dave F.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:04 PM
Apollo Nut

The Nashua tape roll photo you attached looks pretty close to the material used for the late 70s Centuri SCFs.

As commented, the material Centuri used over the years changed somewhat. Even the shape of the SCF itself changed some too.

The very first version of the their SCF was a little shorter and a bit wider. These first versions had a top metallic surface with somewhat tight filament lines running through it. These were first used starting sometime in the summer of 1970, best I’ve been able to pinpoint.

By about ‘72, the design had been lengthened a bit and made somewhat more narrow. I think this was done to make it a bit easier to get into smaller body tubes. The material used was a bit different too. The top layer is more of a whitish, paper-like covering, but has a foil layer underneath. The filament lines are there too, and maybe a bit more dense.

By the late 70s, the shape is the same longer, narrower design, but the material is once again a top shiny metallic layer, but the filaments are wider spaced, much like the Nashua tape roll in the large image you attached.

I’ll attach a photo of the three in just a moment.

Earl

...and here's the photo. From left to right: first version, 1970; second version, circa 1972; third version, circa late 70s (didn't have one handy outside the package). The filaments in the paper covered middle version are hard to see, but are maybe a bit more dense than the first version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri SCFs--3533 copy.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  1.41 MB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-22-2020, 08:30 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:

[…]

And the material Centuri used varied a bit over the years also. Sometimes, the foil layer was the prominent layer visible and other times the material seemed to be predominated by the paper layer. But in each case it was a mixture of foil, paper, and filaments of what appeared to be Fiberglas threads or nylon threads.

Earl

That reminds me. When I was building HPR rockets, I’d use a patch of fiberglass drywall cloth, covering a Kevlar loop, with the knot poking out the aft end of the patch. I’d then flood the patch with epoxy. From there I’d affix my replaceable shock cordto the exposed loop. Those never came off. One roll from Home Depot was probably enough for 500 rocket or more.

If anyone wants a piece to sample, I could send you one. My roll is only about 1/2 gone. Most was used to repair long cracks in walls ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp