Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2022, 10:42 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
My Pinball and Arcade machines all WORK and provide entertainment.
They have also went up in value.
You can't touch any decent modern (1980's +) popular pinball machine for under $2500 now.
New pinball machines cost $7500+ now.

I will reiterate my previous statement. Catalogs are advertising. Maybe worth a few bucks due to nostalgia value but not the insanity of hundreds of $$.

Like we have discussed before: people spend money on what makes them happy. What is 'happy' for one, may not be 'happy' for another. I'm not going to second-guess on that account.

The catalogs people do buy do not instantly turn into 'zero' value. They are still worth something on the open market. I have spent some decent change on the rare, early year Centuri catalogs, like the first year '62 catalog and the '63. Those almost NEVER come up. I could sell them if I wanted and get a decent return on them, because I got both of those in a 'batch' of catalogs, along with a '63 and '64 Estes catalogs and a couple other early 60s catalogs (a Coaster and another which I forget). Not going to sell any of them, but all together they'd return more than what I paid for them.

People spend tens of thousands on brand-new cars and loose a huge amount in depreciation the very first year...or almost as soon as they drive them off the lot. Huge loss. But people do it all the time. But, it is their money and THEY decide what to to do with it. If it makes them happy, then hey, I say go for it.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-23-2022, 11:09 AM
Where'd it go?

Earl,

Exactly right. I have a few '60s-'70s Estes catalogs. They're memories...
I think maybe the highest paid was ~ $15 or so.

My favorite is the Estes 691 with the "yellow pages." Those pages are a
goldmine of info; my favorite drawing therein is the glob of paint
heading towards the model.

Bob

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 043

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154

A&P# 42x xx xxxx.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:13 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have several old Estes/Centuri catalogs as well.
I just won't spend big buxx for them. My favorite is probably the 1971 Estes catalog.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-23-2022, 12:18 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
I have several old Estes/Centuri catalogs as well.
I just won't spend big buxx for them. My favorite is probably the 1971 Estes catalog.

Agree the 1971 is a great catalog. I also favor the 1972 "landscape format" catalog and the 1976 "space shuttle" edition. Wouldn't pay big buxx for them either. I look at them on Sven's Ninfinger site more than I ever look at the originals in my collection.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 09-23-2022, 01:28 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

People spend their money on what makes them happy (at least their disposable income).
Personally, I never got spending big money on jewelry - after all diamonds are just rocks (granted, rare rocks, but rocks none the less), and jewelry doesn't actually do anything. Yet there is a massive industry built around diamonds and jewelry, and if I want to make my wife happy around Christmas, jewelry is a guaranteed hit.
I recently saw an ad for the slimmest watch ever - something like 1.5mm thick. It was about $2 million Two million dollars for a freaking watch that won't keep time any better than my $20 Timex!!! But you know what - there are people out there with lots of money who consider that watch desirable and will be willing to pay that - if for no other reason than to be the only guy at the club who's got one. Years ago I was at the Italian Gran Prix with a tour group - intersting group with a few filthy rich types, several like me that this was a special vacation, and a couple young guys that had pinched pennies for years to save up to go. There was one filthy rich guy (rather a jerk, but that's another story) who had a fancy new multifunction Rolex - he asked me how to work it because he couldn't figure it out (I couldn't make sense of it either). Think of that for a minute - this guy was so rich he willingly spent 5 figures on a watch that he didn't know how to work
It's their money - they should be allowed to spend it on what they want.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:38 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
It's their money - they should be allowed to spend it on what they want.

Who is not "allowing" anyone to do anything here?
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 09-23-2022, 02:34 PM

The most expensive jewelry I ever spent money on is an 18k 27-jewel- movement Rolex Datejust as a divorce present to myself. The ex-wife asked how much $$ it was the first time she saw it. I told her to Google it.
I like high-end watches but have no affinity to spending money on rocks either.
Some people find buying a Rolex is frivolous, but they last forever and the price of 18k always goes up over time.
Tune-ups on a Rolex cost more than what most people spend buying a watch ($500-ish), but they never require a battery.

Old 09-24-2022, 01:32 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
The most expensive jewelry I ever spent money on is an 18k 27-jewel- movement Rolex Datejust as a divorce present to myself. The ex-wife asked how much $$ it was the first time she saw it. I told her to Google it.
Some people find buying a Rolex is frivolous, but they last forever and the price of 18k always goes up over time.
Tune-ups on a Rolex cost more than what most people spend buying a watch ($500-ish), but they never require a battery.

So, you admit spending as much money on a watch as many people spend on a car - but still criticize how other people spend their money.
In 1972, I was in Switzerland and bought a nice watch - a Tissot for ~$50 (big money in those days - especially for a teenager). It quit working within two months (after I'd returned to the US) - it took another month to get it fixed since they had to send it back to Switzerland.
I'm hard on watches - I wear my watch pretty much whatever I'm doing short of going in the water - and they get banged around (I broke the crystal on that Tissot when it got hit by a raquetball racquet - the pain of having it fixed was a lot less than the pain I would have suffered if that racquet had hit my wrist). My current Timex just shrugs it off - it's eight years old, keeps time within a few seconds per year and works perfectly (I'm on the third watch band though).
Old 09-24-2022, 01:38 PM
Certified Rocket Nut

Quote:

I totally agree. I hope to own one of those bad boys someday, then pass it down to my son.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:55 PM

Thinking about purchasing a Rolex Submariner.
The only place I don't wear my Rolex is on resort trips to Playa Mujeres/Playa Del Carmen Mexico. There I wear a cheap Seiko divers watch. No need to target yourself for crime.