Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2022, 09:26 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default All Talk and No Action?

Guys,

Is anybody actually building anything?

Post after post of dubious information on unlikely scale projects. Is anybody actually putting glue to kraft paper and building something?

Posted below are pictures of my Bad Boy Rocketry Sport Scale Javelin anti-tank missile. From the same people who brought you the rocket with fins patterned after the girl on mudflaps comes this Russia v. Ukraine item. There are two Javelins in this war: one is the American anti-tank weapon subject of this kit and the other is a British anti-aircraft missile. Both have been supplied to the Ukrainians in relatively large numbers.

The kit itself is a little pricey but the profits are being donated to Ukrainian charities. You get twelve ply fins, a BT-80 tube and nose cone, ply rings and a 29mm mount. The instruction need to be read through twice but the whole thing goes together well. You need parachute and elastic and a fair amount of nose weight. First picture shows the kit box contents. Second picture shows the wraps for cutting the tube for the through the wall fins. I'll post more pictures as we go along.

Post your present scale project. Pics or it didn't happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Jav3.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  861.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Jav4.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  691.3 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 08-30-2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:38 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Guys,

Post after post of dubious information on unlikely scale projects. Is anybody actually putting glue to kraft paper and building something?

Posted below are pictures of my Bad Boy Rocketry Sport Scale Javelin anti-tank missile. From the same people who brought you the rocket with fins patterned after the girl on mudflaps comes this Russia v. Ukraine item. There are two Javelins in this war: one is the American anti-tank weapon subject of this kit and the other is a British anti-aircraft missile. Both have been supplied to the Ukrainians in relatively large numbers.

The kit itself is a little pricey but the profits are being donated to Ukrainian charities. You get twelve ply fins, a BT-80 tube and nose cone, ply rings and a 29mm mount. The instruction need to be read through twice but the whole thing goes together well. You need parachute and elastic and a fair amount of nose weight. First picture shows the kit box contents. Second picture shows the wraps for cutting the tube for the through the wall fins. I'll post more pictures as we go along.

I just posted about my Maxi Honest John yesterday. I’m incredibly butthurt!

Cool Javelin!

I am building a Super Scamp, I’ll add that tonight or tomorrow. It’s not scale though, although it is an upscale!

Teaser of the decals I did for a friend’s 3” Scamp attached. (Mine will be BT-60.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  E4B4FBF5-81DA-4E7C-9AB2-3E7FDE6E2879.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  1.62 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-30-2022, 11:09 PM
Master Modeler

I just finished a Super Orbital Transport (and put a test flight on a C11-3 on it this afternoon). I also just finished an Apogee Research Express and retrofit a Lexan vertical fin to my Dynasorrocketry Klingon Battle Cruiser. Both were also test flown this afternoon and will be going with me to Sod Blaster IV in Pasco, WA over Labor Day weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_5876.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  1.92 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_5872.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  1.85 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_5885.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  1.87 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-30-2022, 11:28 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Bernard,

I’ve mostly flown my standard OT on a B6 motor, so the orbiter gets kicked off low enough to see it well by onlookers. Does the C11-3 perform similarly in the Super OT?

A D12 just feels to me like it would really put it up too high to get a good view of orbiter separation.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-31-2022, 12:16 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Bernard,

I’ve mostly flown my standard OT on a B6 motor, so the orbiter gets kicked off low enough to see it well by onlookers. Does the C11-3 perform similarly in the Super OT?

A D12 just feels to me like it would really put it up too high to get a good view of orbiter separation.

Well, here's the flight data: https://flightsketch.com/flights/3725/ At least it got the full 3 second delay. 169 feet is all it did. I figured the "800 feet" one the box was laughable. Based on what I saw today, I expect it'll struggle to get to 400 feet on a D12-5.

It actually went perfectly straight up (I had it canted away from the wind just a touch and with the glider on the downwind side) and backslid a bit before ejection/glider release. The glider did a half circle and pointed itself into the wind and just sort of sank slowly down without penetrating the wind much (~5-7 mph wind). I may put just a touch more clay in the nose of the glider before flying it again in Pasco. It will certainly get a D12-5 there.

I've never had an original OT, so can't really say. I've seen a few fly, but didn't know what they had in them for power.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-31-2022, 07:01 AM
BP Mafia

I apparently returned to the pupal state after racking up flight #2000 back in April. Since then I haven't touched any of my building supplies except to move them off of the first floor to less conspicuous places in the house. My wife is thrilled. I had a mild heat stroke while golfing a couple of months back and I've never really recovered my desire to stomp around in the sun chasing my rockets.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-31-2022, 07:34 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.

<snip>

You know that we have a bunch of armchair rocketeers here. It's kind of like some old mens' bullpen where they really don't do anything anymore except sit around and b.s. about this or that thing.

I just built and flew an Estes (Centuri) Long Tom and Newway N20 Demon. In a 2-stage configuration, the Long Tom needs a C6-0. B6-0 is just too wimpy. I started building the Semroc MX-774 and Orion. Trying to put a BMS Gold Medalist launch tower back together, which is proving to be a bit of a bear. I have an bunch of FAI airframes on the bench being built assembly line style. I was hoping to get those done in time to do some test-flying for Muncie this coming weekend, but that's not happening.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 08-31-2022, 10:45 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I apparently returned to the pupal state after racking up flight #2000 back in April. Since then I haven't touched any of my building supplies except to move them off of the first floor to less conspicuous places in the house. My wife is thrilled. I had a mild heat stroke while golfing a couple of months back and I've never really recovered my desire to stomp around in the sun chasing my rockets.

I thought your appearances here had been a bit thin the past few months. I hope the impacts of the heat stress issue are short and you can return to building and flying soon.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-31-2022, 10:59 AM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

I’m 3D printing and building 12 crayon rockets and putting together a private friends rocket launch myself
=======================
Old 08-31-2022, 03:17 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I had a mild heat stroke while golfing a couple of months back and I've never really recovered my desire to stomp around in the sun chasing my rockets.

That explains you lack of posts in the "Fails!" thread.