Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

You know what's more fun then an F100 to a D20 is a C6-3, C6-3, C6-7 minimum diameter. Piston launched.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Apparantly there were at least two types of boosters for the DART. Here is a picture of both. One is labeled SPECIAL Purpose Rocket Thruster and the other (bagged) one is just an F-100-0 with the letters RX1 hand writtten with a pen on the motor. This bag is unopened so I know it cave from FSI that way. Th opened one also had the thn tube glued into the top (to hold the Dart) but I had cut it off long ago thinking to fly this as a plugged motor. Both motors have the top end rounded.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 043.JPG (508.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 045.JPG (528.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

F100-0SE May 88
SE stands for Special Effects.
FSI was the supplier for the vast majority of simulated RPG's and missiles in movies for decades.

Jerry

Incidentally, clicking on attachments on this site used to open them in a new window, but now no longer. That's strange. Fixed.

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 01-31-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM
The_Ripper

Two more images for Bill of my clone RX-1 Booster with the Dart. These were built with Semroc parts. I'm posting again from my iPad & still haven't been home yet to get the dimensions off my PC as to what I used for the booster length here.

I built this specifically to use the free decal offer Phred had to beta test the new FSI line of decals when he first added those to the Excelsior line. He requested images of the build with decals and these two images were sent to him.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  66.3 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 01-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis
Apparantly there were at least two types of boosters for the DART. Here is a picture of both. One is labeled SPECIAL Purpose Rocket Thruster and the other (bagged) one is just an F-100-0 with the letters RX1 hand writtten with a pen on the motor. This bag is unopened so I know it cave from FSI that way. Th opened one also had the thn tube glued into the top (to hold the Dart) but I had cut it off long ago thinking to fly this as a plugged motor. Both motors have the top end rounded.
Mike

Mike,

Cool images & glad you posted these for reference. Regarding your bagged RX-1 from July 1984, I have personally never seen a booster with the tube coupler configuration. I recall flying Mach-1 Dart with the RX-1 about half a dozen times. All of my boosters were early versions of the RX-1 same as I described earlier. Although I do not have the mfg date of the motors, my Polaroid photos referenced in the link I provided are dated. The yellow Dart with purple RX-1 was flown in June 1978. The two in the closet photo were 1978-1979. One was flown & Dart damaged. The lift off shot image was a flight made on 5-1-88. I purchased all of the systems between 1977 & 1979 before I layed low in rocketry when I went to college late in 1979.

I assume your system mfg 6 years later than mine we're to improve the original design although i can't figure why the coupler was necessary. The D20 in my systems recessed about an inch into the top of the booster and was a snug firm fit. Perhaps the coupler allowed FSI to not have to bore as deep and as close to the top of the grain as with the earlier design?

It is interesting to see this as I have heard others mention that their booster had a coupler, same as yours.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I have an original FSI Dart and am cloning a sacrificial Dart to fly on a Estes E9 or E12, and I'd like to build a booster to go with both. Does anyone have a booster that they could measure know of someplace that has the specs? Short of that, I'm planning to fake it.

Bill,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with this ... hope I didn't delay your build any

It seems that since I got an iPad for Christmas I don't seem to be turning on my PC at home much anymore and haven't been much in the RockSim program lately.

I found three old files on my PC ... two I last saved on 5/10/2005 and the most recent using SEMROC equivalent tubing I last saved on 1/4/2009. It's been a while since I've cloned one of these but certainly looking forward to the new Estes motors to revisit the designs.

The booster length I used for the one that I posted pictures of in this thread I have a note in my RockSim file that for the SEMROC ST-7100 tube I used for the booster I cut to 6.10" long (just a little over the 150mm that Chas mentioned in his post). I made the motor mount tube that I centered inside the ST-7100 just a little longer than that so I could round a little on the front side between the inner motor mount tube and the outer ST-7100 with glue to create the rounded end that FSI used on the Thruster F100-0 motors. You can see this if you look close at the pictures. I built it up with a small bead of epoxy. Come to think of it epoxy clay would probably work well to form that.

I remember the Dart you picked up. I saw that on eBay. Isn't that the one that came from the teachers collection at a school or something?

SAM# 0052

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
BP Mafia

Not a problem. I finished the Dart, but like everything else I've built since October, it's sitting nekkid waiting for the weather to allow me some painting time. I actually did have a day last week when it got up close to 70, but the backlog is such that all I was able to do was get the FSI Maverick sprayed with a base coat of yellow, the Agressor DF-15B resprayed to cover the damage caused when I added nose weight, and the FSI Echo-1 sprayed with a primer coat. The next day it started raining and the temps took a nose dive. Just when B6-4 Field was about flyable, too.
I was looking for the actual FSI Dart tonight. I was going to post a side by side pic of the original and my clone because I think the original is shorter, likely due to some flight damage. Can't seem to figure out where I've got it stashed.
Thanks for the info. This one isn't going to be a B6-4 Field bird anyway, so I've got some time before I have to think about getting things in RTF shape. I'm dying to get to the big field, but life and the weather have been dealing me lousy hands since November, and I don't see my shadow. (Or is it that I see my shadow? I can never keep that straight. )

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper