Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketaholic
I have that model rocket built and ready to fly. Do you remember which motor worked the best for it?

I have to replace the rubber/elastic line in order for the wings to deploy, but other than that it is operational.

The rocketaholic

Unless you want to lose it, I would use a B6-2. I waved bye-bye to mine back in 1988 after several flights when I put a C6 in it. It went waaaaaaaayyyy up, circled twice, and then was caught by the wind and flew straight until it was out of sight.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Launching since 1970.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...82/82est48.html

Motors are listed on the catalog page.

C motors will make the rocket go higher than the B motors.

Luckily the B8-5 no longer exists, so you will not make the mistake of using a B motor with an excessively long delay time. Most boost-gliders are much happier with short delay times. 2 seconds for a B, 3 seconds for a C.

Use of a 4 foot long steel launch rod will also help with a nice straight boost.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketaholic
I have that model rocket built and ready to fly. Do you remember which motor worked the best for it?

I have to replace the rubber/elastic line in order for the wings to deploy, but other than that it is operational.

The rocketaholic
Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The B8-5 was a good motor for the proper applications, and I agree with Shreadvector that it was NOT good for the Soaring Eagle....wayyyy too long delay.
One thing I never did understand is why Estes did not offer this one as a B8-3; Centuri did (was Estes produced), but ONLY for one measly production year. Estes never offered the B8-3.
The B8-0 and B8-7 were offered by both companies, but only for one year.
The only B8 that had a reasonable production life was the B8-5; I wish that one still existed and they had dumped the BOOORRRRINNNGGG B6-4 instead.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

I'd be doggone happy to get a B8-0 and a C5-0 again. Not to mention a B14

Joe W
Old 06-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Rocketaholic

Default The Soaring Eagle is ready to fly

I kept the model rocket "The Soaring Eagle" in a dry climate. I still have the spare wing material, but the orginal still works fine. I used a little corn starch on the wing area, and that has helped through the years.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:39 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Default Soaring Eagle on Ebay

Revisit your past. Soaring Eagle kit up for auction on Ebay right now.........................

http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-1373-Soar...1QQcmdZViewItem

Joe

PS.............not sure if the above is a direct link to the auction. You may have to do a copy/paste to your browser window.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Revisit your past. Soaring Eagle kit up for auction on Ebay right now.........................

http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-1373-Soar...1QQcmdZViewItem

Joe

PS.............not sure if the above is a direct link to the auction. You may have to do a copy/paste to your browser window.

As much as I loved that model, that's a bit rich for me. If nobody bids on it and I can get it for not much more than they're askng for as a starting bid, but I'm not a type that feels the need to pay a fortune for something just because it's still around (like the Saturn V models I've read about on these forums that apparently go for hudreds of dollars, I just don't need another one that bad, even if I lost my current one). No offense meant to any collectors out there who do though.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:05 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhug
As much as I loved that model, that's a bit rich for me. If nobody bids on it and I can get it for not much more than they're askng for as a starting bid, but I'm not a type that feels the need to pay a fortune for something just because it's still around (like the Saturn V models I've read about on these forums that apparently go for hudreds of dollars, I just don't need another one that bad, even if I lost my current one). No offense meant to any collectors out there who do though.

Yeah, that would be a deal at the opening bid price. I'll keep my hands off of it and throw my weekly bid elsewhere. (Having owned one in the past beats always been curious about it in my book.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Bummer! I just did a ebay search of my own for Estes rockets and the first one on the list is the Star Speeder that also had that was in the same catalog as the Soaring Eagle. But it's up to $37 which is too rich for me.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:31 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhug
Bummer! I just did a ebay search of my own for Estes rockets and the first one on the list is the Star Speeder that also had that was in the same catalog as the Soaring Eagle. But it's up to $37 which is too rich for me.

That one should be fairly easy to clone.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper