Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2021, 10:33 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Very Interesting.
Thanks for the info !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-28-2021, 04:11 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
After the 2/60 issue of AM there are NO more MMI Ads.

I found some other time points for the info you supplied.

The 001 and 001-A(one and the same) kits were the Original long MMI kits that had the 1 piece launch rod in it.

SO many were bend during transportation by the USPS, that it caused a rift between college buddies GHS and Richard Keller.

001C Contained only an Aerobee-Hi kit, launcher and 2 piece launch rod. No Motors.

Take a look at that Arcon photo: it shows the some of the same info on it as your top flyer.
With all the above I would date the store banner as sometime after the late Summer of 1959 or the Fall of 1959. Especially after 7/30/59...... So August/September 1959 at the earliest

I have seen MMI ads in Boys Life up through at least 1964 showing absolutely no advancement in the line. Here's one from May 1962.

Now I've read the second post about the lawsuits. Excellent stuff. I too, knew about the OC/Estes lawsuit, but didn't know it turned on the parachute protector! Wild! And yea, it never made sense to me how he could patent the motor. I guess he couldn't patent the system as a whole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MMI ad boys life may 62.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  48.6 KB  

Last edited by Royatl : 05-28-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:39 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Here's a link to Stine's own document about the time.

http://stage.soarrocketry.org/wp-co...tine_Memoir.pdf

The glaring embellishment in this is the saw about Vern showing up on MMI's doorstep saying "I don't know who's making your motors now, but I can make them cheaper and better", rather than MMI seeking a new manufacturer and finding Vern through the Denver phone directory and Vern's parents.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:55 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

I would have thought that the delay grain and ejection charge for the parachute was novel and patentable.

No?
Old 12-07-2022, 03:50 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I would have thought that the delay grain and ejection charge for the parachute was novel and patentable.

No?

Delay Grains for skyrockets were an interga part of the skyrocket pyrotechnic motor.

the only difference between a black powder skyrocket motor and our model rocket motors is that the motor and delay train are made from the same ingredients, ie Black Powder.

Orville Carlisle used a separate and distinct delay train that was made from different ingredients. It still could have been BP, but the formula slightly altered. Sometimes the delay in skyrockets was a simple blackmatch fuse . And if you look at Orvillse Carlisle's patent you will see that initially he used a fuse for the delay and it ignited the burst/ejection charge.

Irv Wait is his initial Enegjet Composite motor used this exact same technique , a fuse, as a time delay and ignitor for the ejection charge.

this as, GHS said, was just a new manifestation of an existing delay train.

Same for the ejection charge. In Pyrotechnics for centuries these were called Burst Charges. Burst charges in fireworks "eject" the various fireworks components like comets,stars,etc.

Orvillse Carlisle used the burst charge as an ejection charge. And Skyrockets with parachutes utilized this burst charge to eject the parachute. Again a new manifestation of an existing idea.

So there wasn't anything about the Carlisle model rocket motor that was novel or unknown in 1954 about his design.

Orvillse Carlisle never patented a model rocket motor. That fact alone tells you something.

But Vern Estes did patent a model rocket motor design.

Finally in the pyrotechnic field there is a Black powder device called a wheel driver or just driver. These were end-burning BP motors that were doped with various ingredients like aluminum, iron oxide,etc to give off sparkly tails. They were used primarily on Firewoirks rotating wheels with the motors providing the impetus for the wheels to rotate.