Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2022, 10:40 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Still belong to the AMA but never joined NAR.
I just don't see a good value at all in NAR membership and it's rules are far too restrictive.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-07-2022, 12:50 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Still belong to the AMA but never joined NAR.
I just don't see a good value at all in NAR membership and it's rules are far too restrictive.

EXACTLY... plus it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive for what you get now... I used to be a member when I was a teenager and it was like $20 bucks or something, but quit when I went through the typical hiatus from rocketry til middle age. When I got back into rocketry, I did a NAR membership for awhile just to get the magazine, and then they made the insurance mandatory and the price went through the roof, so I quit again. Just too d@mn much money for what you get. The "insurance" doesn't cover ANYTHING until basically every other kind of insurance you have has paid and played out, ie household liability riders and such anyway, so its basically worthless IMHO. Don't need all the stupid rules and regs, particularly the really IGNORANT stuff like the old motors stuff. I can fly safely using the MRSC without having NAR looking over my shoulder. Was (and still am) offering my farms to Old Rocketeers NAR club if they want, and will fly with them, but haven't heard anything from Dave Montgomery in quite a while, so not sure if they're still going or not. They get the NAR insurance automatically as a registered NAR section. Not interested in HPR or in hosting HPR on the farms, as I've seen too much stupid sh!t done at HPR meets and read and seen too much that's happened at various HPR meets. Always amuses me that the HPR guys can blow several hundred bucks on a single launch, but gripe to no end about having to burn 3/4 of a tank of gas and an hour or two drive to go to HPR field in some remote area to fly... LOL Oh well, poor things.

Anyway, I see the nonsense is only worse-- that whole lifetime member thing... GEEZ, Daddy Warbucks must have the first card on that one LOL Oh well...

Later! OL J R
Old 10-07-2022, 02:14 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I LIKE what you call the "Stupid" stuff done at HPR launches.
They still feature a bit of "outlaw" flavor which I like.
I'm in favor of the No human Harm=NO FOUL philosophy

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-08-2022, 08:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
EXACTLY... plus it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive for what you get now... I used to be a member when I was a teenager and it was like $20 bucks or something, but quit when I went through the typical hiatus from rocketry til middle age. When I got back into rocketry, I did a NAR membership for awhile just to get the magazine, and then they made the insurance mandatory and the price went through the roof, so I quit again. Just too d@mn much money for what you get. The "insurance" doesn't cover ANYTHING until basically every other kind of insurance you have has paid and played out, ie household liability riders and such anyway, so its basically worthless IMHO. Don't need all the stupid rules and regs, particularly the really IGNORANT stuff like the old motors stuff. I can fly safely using the MRSC without having NAR looking over my shoulder. Was (and still am) offering my farms to Old Rocketeers NAR club if they want, and will fly with them, but haven't heard anything from Dave Montgomery in quite a while, so not sure if they're still going or not. They get the NAR insurance automatically as a registered NAR section. Not interested in HPR or in hosting HPR on the farms, as I've seen too much stupid sh!t done at HPR meets and read and seen too much that's happened at various HPR meets. Always amuses me that the HPR guys can blow several hundred bucks on a single launch, but gripe to no end about having to burn 3/4 of a tank of gas and an hour or two drive to go to HPR field in some remote area to fly... LOL Oh well, poor things.

Anyway, I see the nonsense is only worse-- that whole lifetime member thing... GEEZ, Daddy Warbucks must have the first card on that one LOL Oh well...

Later! OL J R

Hey Jeff:

I thought the land there in Needville went up for sale (or was sold) and that's why the Old Rocketeers was folded by yours truly. So, based on what I'm reading above, that site is still available? Let me know, I'm still involved with the TARC yearly and most of the teams I've mentored or observed have looked forward to doing their practice and qualifying flights there whenever it's convenient for all of us. Plus I know some of us would love to have a nice location for sport launches. I'm looking at possibly retiring from the school district as soon as this coming end of the school year (depends on several factors) and in the process of revamping my workspace at my house.

Dave
Old 10-09-2022, 10:39 AM
7/21/61

For those of you who never launch with others and have your own places to launch, NAR or Tripoli mambership and insurance may not be useful.

But the other 99% of us who don't have access to private or personally owned launch sites really need that insurance. Virtually any landowner who will allow NAR or Tripoli to launch on their property REQUIRES proof of insurance. Making that available to all of us is really important. And the insurance is the primary driver of membership cost.

Not to mention all the other absolutely necessary things NAR and Tripoli do, like represent us with NFPA, FAA, DOT, etc.

There are multiple reasons why NAR and Tripoli membership numbers are at all-time highs. If it doesn't apply to your unusual particular circumstance, that's fine. But at least acknowledge that for the average person who wants to fly model or high power rockets, these organizations provide a very real benefit.

Steve