Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2021, 06:28 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

I saw Ken Brown fly that at a NARAM around 1993 or so. Really neat.

One thing though, with the rigid "chute", and not a lot of tailweight when deployed, it tended to slowly tumble back and forth, not staying upright as you would expect. Well, at least that flight came donw that way (plenty slow enough not to cause damage or get damaged).

IIRC, someone said he got the unbrellas from a Dollar Tree (not very big, IIRC. Maybe meant for kids?). Of course this being nearly 30 years later, not likely Dollar Tree has them since the manufacturer's price would be a lot higher now. (Anytime you see something neat at Dollar Tree, get it now or don't complain when they no longer have it).
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 11-13-2021, 09:28 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
It looks like from the catalog, deployment was with a burn string. Images are from the QCR website which is still up.

Hi 5x7,
What is the QCR website address that you are using? Can't find the one you are seeing.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Old 11-14-2021, 12:25 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
I think this is it Jeff,
http://www.qcrhobbies.com/sport.html

Yes that is it.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:43 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
I think this is it Jeff,
http://www.qcrhobbies.com/sport.html

Thanks, Dan.

The website provided contact information, but no response so far. The phone number and the contact email are both out of service. Looks like Ken Brown, who started the Qualified Competition Rockets (QCR) company, passed away in 2015: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obi...h-brown-6273509

Not sure whether Ken's family are keeping the business and the website going or not.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Old 11-14-2021, 05:56 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebZee
I've acquired a QCR Mary Poppins Bumbershoot rocket (QCR kit 530) from a former rocketeer, and am wondering if anyone has a copy of the instructions to help guide me in some repair work on it. It's a kit that, from what I could find, was released back in 1996, and uses an automatic-opening umbrella for a recovery method (umbrella unfurls at the top of the rocket, and while furled, acts as the "nosecone" when launched). I've launched it twice since I got it, and it's a fun flier, but some of the construction uses masking tape which is showing signs of age, and I'm wondering if there are other aspects of the construction that need some "refurbishing". Hoping a copy of the instructions might guide me in assessing the "innards".

I found an old thread from 2012 regarding it (https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...8&page=1&pp=10), but haven't located a copy of the instructions or plans anywhere (it sounds like folks on the aforementioned thread may have exchanged some copies).

Anyone have a copy of the instructions for this kit that they can send me?

Hi DebZee,
It sounds very interesting, would you be able to post some photos of your flown rocket, maybe showing what it looks like ready for flight, and how it looks with the umbrella deployed/unfurled, and some close ups of the assembly that holds it furled, and how the umbrella undercarriage is attached to the body tube and other details?
What size motor did you use and is it complicated to prep for flight?
Thanks!

Push the button Max!

"Dad" - Official light turner off-er

All is Two (Twoism) Genesis 1:1, Isaiah 40:26, 42:5
Old 01-05-2022, 12:17 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Thanks, Dan.

The website provided contact information, but no response so far. The phone number and the contact email are both out of service. Looks like Ken Brown, who started the Qualified Competition Rockets (QCR) company, passed away in 2015: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obi...h-brown-6273509

Not sure whether Ken's family are keeping the business and the website going or not.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

I was able to verify that Kevin Brown, Ken Brown's son, is the one keeping the QCR website http://www.qcrhobbies.com/sport.html going. Kevin called me and said that he still has model rocketry items left from his dad's QCR business and he is occasionally selling some of his dad's model rocketry items. Kevin is keeping the website going as a remembrance of his dad.

On the QCR Bumper Shoot/Bumbershoot kit #530, he mentioned that his dad flew one of those at a demo launch in Washington, D.C. and a politician (not sure which one) was there. The Bumbershoot went unstable and Ken was told that he could not sell that kit anymore. So, now, Kevin said he did not feel comfortable sharing those plans because of that incident.

The anniversary of Ken Brown's passing is approaching. Ken Brown passed away on January 8, 2015. He was 90 years old.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Old 01-05-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
On the QCR Bumper Shoot/Bumbershoot kit #530, he mentioned that his dad flew one of those at a demo launch in Washington, D.C. and a politician (not sure which one) was there. The Bumbershoot went unstable and Ken was told that he could not sell that kit anymore. So, now, Kevin said he did not feel comfortable sharing those plans because of that incident.

Fricking bizarre. WHO would have the authority to tell him he could not sell that kit anymore, based on one bad flight????

Because there are a crapload of kits thru the years that woulda been banned. Like the original Estes R2D2 model, and the original Estes NASA shuttle kit, that sometimes veered off and crashed.

Also the beloved Mars Lander, went unstable A LOT.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
Old 01-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Sometimes collector

I would love to replace some of the QCR models I have flown away or crashed. I think I met Ken at a RAMTEC in the 90s. I have more than 50 flights with QCR kits, some with the hand carved nosecones.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:58 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
Fricking bizarre. WHO would have the authority to tell him he could not sell that kit anymore, based on one bad flight????

Because there are a crapload of kits thru the years that woulda been banned. Like the original Estes R2D2 model, and the original Estes NASA shuttle kit, that sometimes veered off and crashed.

Also the beloved Mars Lander, went unstable A LOT.

Yeah, I thought that was bizarre also. Just relaying the story that I was told by Ken's son, Kevin. Maybe the difference maker was the politician, whoever it was. Kevin may have more details, but that is all he told me so far. I've left him a voicemail message. Perhaps I can find out more information if he calls me back. I'm still hoping to persuade him to share the Mary Poppins Bumbershoot instructions.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

Last edited by Faithwalker : 01-05-2022 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I thought that was bizarre also. Just relaying the story that I was told by Ken's son, Kevin. Maybe the difference maker was the politician, whoever it was. Kevin may have more details, but that is all he told me so far. I've left him a voicemail message. Perhaps I can find out more information if he calls me back. I'm still hoping to persuade him to share the Mary Poppins Bumbershoot instructions.

May be a matter of misunderstanding. I could see the club saying “Don’t fly that at a DEMO anymore”. And/or Ken deciding not to kit it anymore, for his own personal choice. But Kevin may not have heard the story correctly.

Because if it is true, anyone officially ordering him to stop selling the kit, would be WAY out of bounds. I do not care who the heck they are.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe: