Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Master Modeler

If my wood towers turn out as good as Jeff's I'll be happy.

The Dremel-assisted technique takes practice. In terms of true-to-roundness and smoothness, it definitely beats the hand-scraped technique.

Pretty much 1/4 of each dowel has to be trimmed off; the tips tend to taper in and the base tapers out. But this leaves enough dowel for the main struts, which is just fine.

After two or three tries I got the hang of turning out dowels tolerably close to .052" (as measured by the Semroc feeler gauge).

About a third of the sticks broke off and flew away . . . for the most part when trying to make the .041" dowels. The thinner diameter is much harder to achieve. In the five tries that did not break I got a few "close enoughs," one two-skinny, and one right on the ball.

You can see some of the final results on the Flickr page.

SO . . .

Any suggestions on how to handle the tank fairing?
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Old Submariner

The way I did the tank fairing on my first build was to first make a couple of duplicates of the fairing to be used and then use the duplicates for practice.

To me, it turned out acceptable--but far from perfect.

Hence:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  saturn1b (6).JPG
Views: 172
Size:  132.4 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The Dremel-assisted technique takes practice. In terms of true-to-roundness and smoothness, it definitely beats the hand-scraped technique.

Pretty much 1/4 of each dowel has to be trimmed off; the tips tend to taper in and the base tapers out. But this leaves enough dowel for the main struts, which is just fine.

As my Dremel is not variable speed, I chose to do it by hand. I held a sanding block, the old fashioned wooden kind, with 150 grit paper on it in one hand and used my thumb to hold the dowel against the paper while twirling it with the other. I had one break and that piece is still bouncing around somewhere; I never found it. It is repetitive work, though. Sand a little, test it with the gauge, repeat.

If I had a better Dremel, I would think that trapping the dowel between two sanding blocks will yield a more uniform result.

Quote:
Any suggestions on how to handle the tank fairing?

Don't fear the FnF.

If I were to reengineer this kit, I would use a single cone and bevel the lower ends of the tank tubes to fit it.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Master Modeler

Well, the trickiest part of this re-build so far is putting together those little V-shaped cross-braces. Even with tweezers it is hard to line things up. I am going to try this:

Pin down the full-length dowel, with the end at the point of the printed V.

Cut down the end to make an angled matching surface.

Pin down another dowel at the appropriate angle; cut its tip and glue it to the first dowel.

When the joint is dry, make the cuts at the "top" of the V.

Repeat.

What kind of glue, and glue technique, have folks used on the fairing?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Well, the trickiest part of this re-build so far is putting together those little V-shaped cross-braces. Even with tweezers it is hard to line things up. I am going to try this:

Pin down the full-length dowel, with the end at the point of the printed V.

Cut down the end to make an angled matching surface.

Pin down another dowel at the appropriate angle; cut its tip and glue it to the first dowel.

When the joint is dry, make the cuts at the "top" of the V.

Repeat.

What kind of glue, and glue technique, have folks used on the fairing?

Have you considered building the tower with plastic rod instead of the wood dowels? You can get the rod already in the proper diameters and glue them together with CA. This might save the step of trying to get the dowels sanded round and in the proper diameters.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Master Modeler

I'm still working on cutting and gluing together tower struts. I've gotten pretty good at lathing out .041" (more or less) dowels with my Dremel. The hard part is laying out and gluing together such little pieces. I'm working on three towers at once, so the work seems to go on forever.

I ran into one really major annoying hitch. I finally got the tank fairing glued on. Not a perfect job, but with some filling and sanding it won't be too bad.

The problem is, the triangular bits have a slight concave curve to them as they go from the tail ring to the between-tank valley . . . while the root edge of the fin that fits over them is flat.

In other words, there will be a gap between the fin and the fairing. I believe the Semroc version got around this by putting a triangular balsa bit behind the rectangular "petal."

Any suggestions? Maybe glue some tissue or cardstock over the gap?