Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Default Scorpion 2 stage fin cans

I know this has been mentioned / debated before, but I've been wanting to build this for a while and wanted to make certain ....

question is - what fin units are actually correct for this bird ? ( # 1333, I think ) .

I remember the vintage ones we had - for CERTAIN had ORANGE cans, and have always thought they were Challenger 1 cans ( diamond airfoil ) ,

However, it was mentioned here :

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ght=writer+cone

that they were the 'tapered' version ( currently in use ) , and possibly the first use of that can .

can someone with an original kit , builtup or sealed, confirm this ?

thanks a million .

~ AL

ps: any decals ? Phred ?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Old-Timer

Default Re: Scorpion 2-stager

This kit utilizes the current fin can from the 'Skywriter' kit. Yes, the original PFU's were orange colored, but since this bird gets painted anyway, the color of the plastic doesn't matter...

If there's any other specific questions, I can try to field them. I flew this baby in the past year. Just wish I could get B6-0 engines in the three-packs...

The decals that I had in the pile were given away to a buddy with the components for a kit.

Sorry!
N.A.R. #26298 L1
Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM

Glen,

thanks for the info , it's one that I;ve been unsure on the fincan use for a long time, and although I'm not that anal that I would not use the current cans ( if wrong), I do have a
junkbox Challenger 1, plus one spare can , that I could make it ' correct'' if need be - however, knowing I can use the Skywriter cans ( I have 5-6 of those from kits I bought for the cones , then I can save the other fin unit for a Kadet clone or something.

Bummer on the decals, would have grabbed those, but hope they went on a nice builtup ... been waiting semi-patiently for someone to draw these / offer them up - was just last year, iirc, that a scanned set finally turned up on YORP , prior to that it was one of the 'holy grails'.

Will have to start on this this week sometime, I have the short booster tube cut, main tube is just an 18" piece, so since I know what cans to use .....

~ AL
Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM

Default PS - what DID use the Challenger cans ?

the next question of course = what birds DID use the 'diamond airfoil' cans then ?

Challenger 1 of course.

Kadet used the same 2 piece cone and fin can.

not sure on others ... Star Trek ?, Star Wars Torpedo ? ( my bro had one, but don;t recall the details, would love to pick one up or clone it if anyone has a wrap to scan , DUNE ?

according to Craig's notes on the expanded kit list on YORP, the 'Star Trek' is listed as 'possible first use of this can ', of which I would have to say the Challenger should have been first ? or concurrent release ?
of is it first use of the revised can ?

I believe the Dune plans , as posted, show the 2 piece cone and - therefor - the diamond fin can. but who knows what was actually used.

comments appreciated.

~ AL
Old 10-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

The Star Trek rocket used the same fin can and nose cone unit except that it was yellow plastic instead of green. I've got an original Challenger 1 and the fin can and nosecone from a Star Trek rocket that I painted in a feeble attempt to make a Challenger 1 clone. It doesn't look right painted.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:37 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
...according to Craig's notes on the expanded kit list on YORP, the 'Star Trek' is listed as 'possible first use of this can ', of which I would have to say the Challenger should have been first ? or concurrent release ?
of is it first use of the revised can ?

~ AL

The Star Trek Starter Set actually pre-dates the Challenger-1 by one calendar year. The Star Trek Starter Set, #1418, shows up in the 1976 catalog on pages 4&5, while the Challenger-1 Starter Set, #1416, doesn't show up until 1977 on the same pages.

The reality is probably that they were both planned for at the same time, since they are identical except for the body wrap and plastic color (and box art...). But from the catalog perspective, the ST set was released first, likely to try and milk the last remaining drops of blood out of the animated series which was still showing around that time. The show had already gone OOP before Estes got the set out of the factory...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Master Modeler

After seeing this thread I dug out my old Scorpion booster - the sustainer was lost long ago - and compared it to the Skywriter. Sure enough, the fin cans are identical, with no diamond shape (see pic).

I would really love to clone this one, as it is my 2nd favorite 2 stager (my fav is the Centuri Stiletto), but I can't print white with my laser, and the decals are loaded with white
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ScorpionBooster.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  49.4 KB  
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
After seeing this thread I dug out my old Scorpion booster - the sustainer was lost long ago - and compared it to the Skywriter. Sure enough, the fin cans are identical, with no diamond shape (see pic).

I would really love to clone this one, as it is my 2nd favorite 2 stager (my fav is the Centuri Stiletto), but I can't print white with my laser, and the decals are loaded with white

Did the kit have a true waterslide, or was it a full / partial body wrap of sticky paper?

Could you possibly do a "reverse" decal, where you print a solid block of black (or red, matching the color of the model) onto a white sheet, carefully not printing anything where the white lettering is supposed to go?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Master Modeler

The decals were waterslide - Ye Olde Rocket Plans has the instructions and a scan of the decals (which need a little cleaning up).

Your idea has possibilities Craig - I'll have to think about it...

Of course, it would be nice if I could persuade Phred or someone to gen up a set on one of those miraculous ALPS printers
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Of course, it would be nice if I could persuade Phred or someone to gen up a set on one of those miraculous ALPS printers

Keep begging for decals, someone might listen , lol

( maybe now Phred has his Hen Grenade done )

~ AL