Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 AM
SAM 0371

Steve-

Very sorry to hear about your father.

On the other side of that, it is so good that you guys were on good terms.

Jason
Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

My sincerest condolences on your loss
Old 08-09-2014, 11:09 AM
The_Ripper

Thanks for all the kind words my friends here at YORF posted to this thread.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Thanks for all the kind words my friends here at YORF posted to this thread.

Good to see you back here Steve. Hope all is going as well as can be expected.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-20-2019, 08:19 AM
The_Ripper

This timeline of this thread doesn't flow very well .....

I started this thread July 6th 2007 as the July 20th anniversary was approaching which always lead to discussions with my dad about his involvement with the Apollo projects when he worked at the Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans with The Boeing Company working on the S-IC and also a summer when we lived near the Saturn V S-IC Static Test Facility at Marshall Space Flight Center.
He gave me some of his memorabilia in 2007 that we was very proud of.

I didn't post again to this thread until 7-18-2014 the day he passed away. As the July 20th anniversary was approaching the 45 year mark we again had discussions about how he contributed to making history.

Now today five years later, I post again on this most special day .....
When my brother and sister and law were cleaning out my dads house after his passing a few more items were found in the old house that I posted images for below. There was a letter that accompanied that commemorative medallion in my first post when that medallion was given to him. I scanned a picture of that letter last night with the medallion and posted it here.

Also, there is an Apollo 11 sticker still stuck to a page signed by the general manager of the launch vehicle branch at Boeing. Hard to get a good scan of it with my iPad and the edges have yellowed over the years and don't look that bad in person. The sticker is pristine.

There was also a thick sheet with sketches of the Apollo 11 astronauts and their signatures also found with the two other items pictured.

I am sure he would have shared this with me in 2007 and probably lost track over the years as to where he put these things. As Jerry mentioned in post #20 the preservation of history is the most important thing and the reason for my post today. I had never seen these things before and preserving them on Scott's forum, well ..... what better place to put something like this!

Five years later and I still really miss my dad and thank all of you for your condolences in 2014. He was a really special guy. I still remember 50 years ago sitting on the sofa with him as an 8 year old kid waiting to see the excitement of the Apollo 11 mission as it unfolded. Those of us that were old enough to remember the mission and experience it first hand know it really was something special, something to remember, and most of all something to be proud of as human beings and most certainly as Americans to have accomplished this.

HULU just added the NASA channel to my line up so I have some specials I have set on my DVR for later today.

I hope all of my friends on the forum have a great day today and share in the excitement of this wonderful anniversary!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Scan Jul 19, 2019 at 9.49 PM.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  1.11 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scan Jul 19, 2019 at 9.49 PM-1.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  651.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scan Jul 19, 2019 at 9.53 PM.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  1.27 MB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Apollo Nut

Steve-

Thanks for posting these very special momentos from your father for all of us to see. Bitter sweet times for you, I'm sure. But you have some wonderful memories of him and of those days.

It is also good to see you post here again...it seems as if it has been some time since I've seen you post here.

Today is a very memorable day for all of us who can remember this day 50 years ago. I was just shy of my seventh birthday at the time, but recall the night of July 20, 1969 very vividly. It, and the events surrounding Apollo 11, is what got me started in all this 'space and rocket stuff' and I haven't lost interest since.

One of my very vivid memories that night 50 years ago as we gathered around the TV waiting (and waiting...and waiting, so it seemed) for the astronauts to appear was asking my Mom over and over again "Is THIS it??!!", only to be told "No, it's still just a simulation". And not really knowing completely what a 'simulation' was, but understanding that the real thing was not yet happening. Finally, I recall that black and white image appearing on TV and that for the first few seconds or so the image was upside down.

I lost my Mom a little over two years ago after a long battle with Lewy Body Dementia (the same Robin Williams had) and watched what it did to her. It tore my heart out.

But today I think of her and other dear family and friends who were around 50 years ago and even just five years ago during the 45th anniversary, and try to smile and rejoice in the achievement all those many years ago. I know they would want me to remember the good times. The times when we all soared.

Your Dad's work and achievements helped us all soar that day 50 years ago, and today we salute all who made it possible.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 07-20-2019 at 06:15 PM.