Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 AM
Avid Builder

Default M2F2 Space Camel boost glider

Picked this up on eBay a while back. Never heard of this company or this kit before, so it intrigued me. This is the 18mm version, apparently they also had a 24mm version as well.
Foam core poster board construction. Instructions were vague in some spots, and some small items were not supplied. But I muddled through.
Just need to trim for flight and she goes up at the next launch. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  0514190640.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  1,013.4 KB  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 AM
Dazed and Confused

It used to be advertised in Sport Rocketry back in the 90's and maybe early 2000's, IIRC. Has a glide profile somewhere between the space shuttle and a brick. Foamboard is heavy. If it was Depron, it might work a little better.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Craftsman

Default Foamboard LPR Gliders

Yea, Ive been making gliders with foamboard type products for around 40 years myself. And, once I saw the first NAR mag ad for the M2F2, I *knew* that was going to be a clunker on a c motor - especially with standard foamboard!

Nowadays, you'll find GOBS of lighter foamy fare locally. Shoot, even the office places are selling thinner/lighter stuff than the 'old stuff'.

Now, here's what you oughta do here - make a copy of this using Adams Readiboard, obtained from Dollar Tree. You get the straightest, back of the carton sheet, and THIS is half the weight of the 'old stuff'.

As far as Depron goes, that's discontinued, or rather, no longer imported. If you can get your grubby mitts on some 1/8" of THIS, then you'd REALLY have a good sport glider. I myself have a cross between this and the Cosmos Mariner, made with Depron on a cardstock BT55 frame, that boosts and glides pretty darned well for a C motor.

Biggest issue with ANYTHING made of ANY foamboard product is warpage. *Every* single ply constructed glider WILL warp, at least some, over time. Wouldnt be suprised if your old Space Camel main sheet is affected thus.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:51 AM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
Biggest issue with ANYTHING made of ANY foamboard product is warpage. *Every* single ply constructed glider WILL warp, at least some, over time. Wouldnt be suprised if your old Space Camel main sheet is affected thus.

Yeah, the sheet was cupped. When I glued the overlays on I pressed it under some heavy weight to dry. The warpage cancelled each other out. For the fuselage boom I clamped it to an angle tool then glued it to the body. Filleted and let it dry before unclamping. Everything looks straight now. Hopefully with the elevators at full up and glider properly trimmed I'll get a decent glide from it. We shall see. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

If you consider a glide slightly above a MANHOLE COVER, you could call it "decent".

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Mad for modrocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
Yea, Ive been making gliders with foamboard type products for around 40 years myself. And, once I saw the first NAR mag ad for the M2F2, I *knew* that was going to be a clunker on a c motor - especially with standard foamboard!

Nowadays, you'll find GOBS of lighter foamy fare locally. Shoot, even the office places are selling thinner/lighter stuff than the 'old stuff'.

Now, here's what you oughta do here - make a copy of this using Adams Readiboard, obtained from Dollar Tree. You get the straightest, back of the carton sheet, and THIS is half the weight of the 'old stuff'.

As far as Depron goes, that's discontinued, or rather, no longer imported. If you can get your grubby mitts on some 1/8" of THIS, then you'd REALLY have a good sport glider. I myself have a cross between this and the Cosmos Mariner, made with Depron on a cardstock BT55 frame, that boosts and glides pretty darned well for a C motor.

As as an old BAR who's become fascinated with gliders, I was hoping you'd share some of foam glider plans if you had them, and your build and design techniques/tips. I'd enjoy resurrecting some of your unique "AstronMiike" designs and I'm sure others would be too. Maybe in a separate thread?

“Minds are like parachutes--they only function when open”. —Thomas Dewar
Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Old BAR

Make sure it's a bit nose heavy with the spent engine in place. If it glides perfectly straight, use a piece of tape folded over itself sticking up from one of the elevons to get a slow turn. My upscale Orbital Transport glider sailed a half mile straight as an arrow. Looong walk.

I've not seen your model before.

Allen
Old 08-14-2019, 02:37 PM
Craftsman

If you want to do RC these that I make have a more lifting body appearance and have a pretty good glide for a foamie.

https://dynasoarrocketry.com/?page_id=3540

Can be had in one of three body styles. They are 9mm depron, around 23" wingspan, 32" length.

For 24mm E-6 motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LiftingbodyTrio-1024x536.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  73.3 KB  
Old 08-15-2019, 05:33 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Who makes that 24mm E6 motor?
Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Craftsman

Aerotech, I carry both a reload and a single-use version of that motor I'm pretty much the only person that has any stock of the single use plugged motors as they are a custom order. I also cannot be beat on the reload casing price as I bulk pre order those as well.

Dynasoarrocketry.com

Last edited by burkefj : 08-15-2019 at 05:04 PM.