Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillie
I have switched to pledge and love it, easy to use and super shine. I had one instance where the actual pledge coat cracked all over like a desert, but was still smooth to the touch and it did not affect the base color. I think the gloss paint still needed to dry longer.

The Saturn V had a matte finish to it, so if you are going to apply a matte clear as I am than pledge is not gonna work.

Yeah, that gloss might should have dried a bit longer. You can use a bit of ammonia to cut that cracked finish and remove it and then reapply.

As to your wanting to be 'scale' with a matte finish: true she had a flat finish, but if you're going to do a lot of launching, that flat finish is gonna show every single sooty fingerprint you even breathe on it. Quite difficult to clean it all off, whereas it's much easier to clean if it were a gloss. Gloss=not scale but easier it maintain and a must for applying decals; flat=scale but a PIA to keep looking nice and must apply over the decals.

Whatever you prefer will work, though! As long as YOU are happy with it!

Allen
Old 05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Yeah, that gloss might should have dried a bit longer. You can use a bit of ammonia to cut that cracked finish and remove it and then reapply.

As to your wanting to be 'scale' with a matte finish: true she had a flat finish, but if you're going to do a lot of launching, that flat finish is gonna show every single sooty fingerprint you even breathe on it. Quite difficult to clean it all off, whereas it's much easier to clean if it were a gloss. Gloss=not scale but easier it maintain and a must for applying decals; flat=scale but a PIA to keep looking nice and must apply over the decals.

Whatever you prefer will work, though! As long as YOU are happy with it!

Allen

You have a good point about keeping the finish clean. The only flat paint i have used previous have been olive drab so I havent noticed so much but the white would get dirty easily.

What do you think about a satin finish as a compromise, do they clean up easily?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:30 AM
Old BAR

I have never used a satin finish before, but it might be just the compromise you are looking for. One thing to remember though, is you will need a gloss finish for the decals to work properly, anyway. THEN, you can flatten it or satinize it as you prefer. Just use a clear that will not harm the decals...

Hope this helps!

Allen