Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default June 26, 2005 JMRC launch at MIS

Man, was it hot! We've been enduring 90+ temps and high humidity for over a week now. It was slightly cooler yesterday, but not much. JMRC had their usual first class operatoin going on with an air-conditioned trailer to use when you needed an escape from the heat and a new hot dog stand.

I flew my Qmodeling MRS Vega on a AT E28-4 RMS and it totally kicked! I missed on the launch photo (**** chuff faked me out!), but the flight was straight and true. I recovered on a 20" nylon chute with a spill hole, but it still drifted sideways, hit on a pod and snapped a fin in half from tip to root. I flew my Big Blue Bird Zero (4" dia) on a RMS H238-S and it was a perfect flight. At apogee it lays over on it's side and ejects. The lower part comes down on twin 36" chutes and the upper part on a 28". That H238 really gets it moving. Also flown was my Estes DOM Mako, Cox Shuttle America, Thoy Tavia, Holverson Silverhawk, and my Sky Dart. The Sky Dart and Silverhawk turned in some great times. Not surprising from the heat coming off the field! The photos are up in my gallery .

Buzz

Last edited by Eagle3 : 06-27-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Hey, you forgot to take a launch pic of that LTV Scout sitting on the pad!

I can't believe you got that good of performance on an H238 with that huge BBZ rocket. I'm going to dig up my ill-fated L1 attempt video from a couple years ago for you guys to look at. That was an H238T in a 3" Yank Enterprises IRIS that "had" a beautiful finish on it. I swear there was something wrong with the motor. It had no "ooomph" at all.

Nice pic of the Goblin ejection. Check out the WOOSH website. I have another cool ejection photo on the homepage.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Hey, you forgot to take a launch pic of that LTV Scout sitting on the pad!

I can't believe you got that good of performance on an H238 with that huge BBZ rocket. I'm going to dig up my ill-fated L1 attempt video from a couple years ago for you guys to look at. That was an H238T in a 3" Yank Enterprises IRIS that "had" a beautiful finish on it. I swear there was something wrong with the motor. It had no "ooomph" at all.

Nice pic of the Goblin ejection. Check out the WOOSH website. I have another cool ejection photo on the homepage.

Thanks! A little history on the BBBZ. With the exception of the fins and launch lugs it's made completely of reject THOY parts. I worked for Rich Rau one summer back in 91~92 and he was a sticklerfor parts being as perfect as possible. Any part with a belmish was set aside. So, body tubes, couplers, nose cone, motor tube and rings all have slight blemishes... most you can't even see. The fins are 1/4" balsa TTW and laminated with card stock. I also built an ejection baffle in it. Fully loaded with chutes and motor it tips the scales at 4.8lbs. It gets from 0 to 500' in an instant, but once that motor quits it's like she deploys speed brakes. *LOL* I figure it's all of the surface drag. I used it for my L1 cert and I've flown it a few times since. Aways on the H238 since it's the beefiest motor I can use with my hardware. The part I love most is it's a huge model that doesn't go out of site. You get to plainly see the entire flight. Steve Kristal commented that it's like a Estes flight... but a lot bigger!

I'd have to say something must have been wrong with your H238. It's shouldn't have had any problem with that 3" Iris. How heavy was it?

The LTV Scout was a Sandman prototype. It flew really well, but I think I was prepping a model at the time of launch and couldn't get the camera around in time.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I'd have to say something must have been wrong with your H238. It's shouldn't have had any problem with that 3" Iris. How heavy was it?

I just posted some pics and a video from my L1 attempt.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-28-2005, 05:29 PM
BAR Crazy about der GOBLIN

Send a message via AIM to Thor

Wonder what happened to the Goblin upscale that never left the launch pad? I sure hope my Goblin does better than that. I am beginning to wonder if the midpower engine will lift it. It is around 12 ounces at present. I found some Loc rockets that run on Ds and Es that weigh around 14 ounces so there is hope.