Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger
And a follow up question is what would you recommend if I may not have access to a "higher power" launch system capable of reliable ignition of a cluster system.

We spent a while discussing launch systems with some ummph! in this thread: Launch System Power

Mostly we discussed power sources. But once you have a power source the rest is simple. There are wiring diagrams of launch controllers in the older catalogs (scans available at ninfinger.org), try 1969 Estes, e.g.. The wiring diagram is helpful both for building your own from scratch, or for modifying an existing system to use the higher capacity power source.

Of course, if you still have an old Estes launch controller from 35 years ago, chances are it has two battery clips which you can easily connect to any of the convenient and cheap 12V sources which are available today. You know, the red one, with one cable going to the launch pad with microclips on the ends, and one cable trailing out behind to a car or lantern battery with big alligator clips on it.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Craftsman

Thanks for pointing me to the power thread, Jeff.
While my question really was "one engine or four?" I take one answer to it is "get a good launch system!"

Yes, I once had the Estes launch system which hooked to an automobile battery, but I did not take it with me when I left home and it is long gone.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger
Thanks for pointing me to the power thread, Jeff.
While my question really was "one engine or four?" I take one answer to it is "get a good launch system!"

Yes, I once had the Estes launch system which hooked to an automobile battery, but I did not take it with me when I left home and it is long gone.

It's not very hard to make the Estes controllers into something worth having... I've done a pair of them myself. The newer ones with the glued together casings would be a bit harder, but should still be doable with some ingenuity and forethought.

If you want to know more, just ask, and I can post some pictures... OL JR
Old 10-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Craftsman

After several years of putting off the decision, I have started my Saturn IB, opting for the 4 motor configuration (mainly because I now have a Saturn V in my "to build" collection which will be a single motor configuration). I know that Semroc list only C6-5 as rocommended engines. Older Estes catalogues list A8-3 and B6-4 as possible engines. Does anyone have experience using B engines in the Semroc model?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Flying since 1977

I would think that it would get to about 300 feet on a B6 cluster. You will need to weigh your finished model before deciding which motors to use. YMMV.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373