Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Rocket Launcher Extraordinaire

Question Hobby knife blades??

When cutting fins from balsa stock, how many knife blades do you use? One blade per fin, one per blade for two fins and so on? Just a I was wondering what other people do question.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Old Submariner

Hi Chief. I make my blades last A LOT longer by ensuring that I have a cutting mat under the balsa sheet while I cut it. If your #11 blade is nice and sharp, you shouldn't have to press vary hard. Even with a cutting mat the point can break off quite easily.

I probably get about 30 long cuts from a fresh blade if I'm careful. Fewer cuts if it's cross-grain.

Keep the bubble!

Jeff

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Paper Rocketeer

You might also give Testors Model Master blades a try (I've only found them at Hobby Town - HL an Michaels doesn't carry them). They are made from surgical steel, which holds an edge longer and the tip seems to be a bit tougher. However, they are pretty pricey, so it is kind if a trade-off (XActos cheaper but don't last as long).

Greg
Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Rocket Launcher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Hi Chief. I make my blades last A LOT longer by ensuring that I have a cutting mat under the balsa sheet while I cut it. If your #11 blade is nice and sharp, you shouldn't have to press vary hard. Even with a cutting mat the point can break off quite easily.

I probably get about 30 long cuts from a fresh blade if I'm careful. Fewer cuts if it's cross-grain.

Keep the bubble!

Jeff

I have cutting mats. I think my problem is that I push too hard. Sometimes I will here it trying to split. Especially when cutting with the grain. I will try lightening my touch. I will try and let the blade to all the work. Thanks for the tip.

Preston
Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Dazed and Confused

I keep a couple of knives handy. I start with a fresh blade on one knife for delicate cuts. After it loses that perfect edge, it gets used for less delicate things and the other knife with a fresh blade takes over the delicate work. That said, I can cut balsa with a fairly dull blade. The secret has already been revealed....many passes with a very light touch, regardless of the sharpness. I seldom use a new blade for balsa. Hard balsa requires more patience regardless of how new the blade is. In fact, I think I'm wasting that perfect edge on hard balsa when a used blade will do just fine. A broken tip doesn't bother me when cutting balsa, but I like that perfect tip on my sharp knife.

With the two knife philosophy, I can keep a blade around for a long time. I've been known to hit a dull blade on some fine grit sandpaper on occasion, but most of the time I just swap in a new blade. I use bulk #11 blades I got from Tower Hobbies years ago when they were on sale.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Master Modeler

When I'm cutting straight cuts in balsa, I don't use my hobby knife that much anymore. I use single edge razor blades.

I find them sharper and they last longer. When the edge you are using gets dull, you just turn it around for a fresh sharp edge which you can't do with hobby blades.

I bought a pack of 100 from Tower Hobbies a few years back and it will be a few years before I need to buy more. A bonus is the 100 pack is about 2/3's the cost of 100 pack of #11 hobby blades.
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 10-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Master Modeler

Not sure about the endurance of a single blade. Generally I use a #11 surgical blade on a scalpel handle. I also start cross grain cuts closer to the edge of the stock with a single edge blade to stop splitting at the end off the cut. All I do know is that I usually buy 100 count boxes of blades and wrestle with the waste of only using the first 1/8th inch of each.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 10-09-2011, 05:34 PM
BAR

I can usually get several builds out of a single blade, using it for everything from cutting balsa to tubes to cardstock parts, trimming plastic flashing/parting lines, etc.

I've never broken the tip off an X-acto blade either (I generally use the slightly cheaper red-package (can't recall the name ATM) blades from Hobby Lobby).

A blade is like sandpaper-- don't press too hard-- let the blade do the work!

I've gone through a blade doing my BT-80 Saturn V-- the greebles made out of bamboo were pretty hard on the blade-- bamboo is VERY hard wood, and I had to 'whittle' the ends of the greebles down to near the point I wanted, and then sand them smooth-- sanding took FOREVER to try to take a cylinder down to a point! I made a lot of the smaller flat detail parts out of basswood since it's harder than balsa and has much tighter grain, making nicer detail parts, but this is a little harder on the blade too.

I try to keep new blades for cardstock parts, as they're the most sensitive to having a sharp blade to do a good job. Balsa, being soft, and sanded to final size/shape anyway, can use a pretty dull blade with no ill effects other than taking longer to cut the parts...

Later! OL JR
Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Flying since 1977

You should be able to get several builds (balsa) with an X-Acto blade. If you are using basswood, spruce, or model aircraft plywood (1/64" to 1/16"), the blades will need to be changed more often. Unless you are using 1/32" balsa, you should not try cut through the sheet with one run down the edge. Just my two cents. YMMV.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 10-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I can usually get several builds out of a single blade, using it for everything from cutting balsa to tubes to cardstock parts, trimming plastic flashing/parting lines, etc.

I've never broken the tip off an X-acto blade either (I generally use the slightly cheaper red-package (can't recall the name ATM) blades from Hobby Lobby).

A blade is like sandpaper-- don't press too hard-- let the blade do the work!

I've gone through a blade doing my BT-80 Saturn V-- the greebles made out of bamboo were pretty hard on the blade-- bamboo is VERY hard wood, and I had to 'whittle' the ends of the greebles down to near the point I wanted, and then sand them smooth-- sanding took FOREVER to try to take a cylinder down to a point! I made a lot of the smaller flat detail parts out of basswood since it's harder than balsa and has much tighter grain, making nicer detail parts, but this is a little harder on the blade too.

I try to keep new blades for cardstock parts, as they're the most sensitive to having a sharp blade to do a good job. Balsa, being soft, and sanded to final size/shape anyway, can use a pretty dull blade with no ill effects other than taking longer to cut the parts...

Later! OL JR

I like to learn a new word every day. I had to look up "greebles".

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078