Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2021, 10:04 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

I updated the starter kit list adding the #1781 Little Red Max Starter Outfit. Thanks to Jeff Jenkins (Faithwalker) for the info.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-07-2021, 11:39 AM
Sometimes collector

Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2021, 12:15 PM
Craftsman

I am waiting for the new catalog to come out to make the next major revisions.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:45 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I updated the starter kit list adding the #1781 Little Red Max Starter Outfit. Thanks to Jeff Jenkins (Faithwalker) for the info.

What, pray tell, was the "Little Red Max Starter Outfit?" Is it in any catalog?
Old 02-07-2021, 02:49 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
What, pray tell, was the "Little Red Max Starter Outfit?" Is it in any catalog?

Here's info and pics Jeff sent me of this rare starter outfit.

Attached are photos of the Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781 that I have. I purchased this set on eBay on September 11, 2017. The Porta-Pad that was supposed to be included in the Starter Outfit was missing when I acquired the set. The side panel photos are in black and white, so I’m not sure if the Porta-Pad included was the chrome Citation Star Port Launch Pad or the traditional orange plastic Porta-Pad. The black and white photos show it as a light color, so it may have even been a yellow Porta-Pad, like some of the earlier ones.

Beside checking with the folks at Estes Industries, I plan to do a posting on YORF to see if anyone else has any additional knowledge of this Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781. From all the clues that I have, including the version of the Alpha Mini-Book of Model Rocketry that shows current kits at that time, and the item number scheme, this set appears to have been issued in 1981 or possibly 1982, but most likely 1981, to be a companion to the Estes Deluxe Big Red Max Flying Model Rocketry Outfit #1403, which had the Big Foot Launch Control System.

I do have some additional images also attached from an unopened Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781 that was sold on eBay by Christian Hanawalt on April 30, 2017. I’m not sure who purchased it, but I have Christian Hanawalt’s contact information because I have purchased several other vintage model rocketry items that he was selling from his father’s estate in the past, so I may try to contact him to see if he remembers and is willing to put me in touch with the winning bidder. I will let you know the results of my research.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Little Red Max-3.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  78.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes_Little_Red_Max_Starter_Outfit_1781_box_leftside_view.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  106.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes_Little_Red_Max_Starter_Outfit_1781_box_rightside_view.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  111.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes_Little_Red_Max_Starter_Outfit_1781_boxtop_view.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  74.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes_Little_Red_Max_Starter_Outfit_1781_boxtop_view2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  83.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes_Little_Red_Max_Starter_Outfit_1781_contents_view.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  135.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Little Red Max eBay item.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  233.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Little Red Max.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  94.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Little Red Max-2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  80.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes_Little_Red_Max_Starter_Outfit_1781_box_end_view.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  88.6 KB  

Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-07-2021, 03:38 PM
Model Rocket Fanatic

Back in 2013 on that other forum, there was some discussion about a starter outfit #1778 called the Long John Silver starter set. They couldn't figure out the year of release, until someone noticed that one of the images had a 1978 catalog in it. Onto this starter outfit #1781 (only 3 outfits later). If you look at the side of the box with engine recommendations, it lists both the B8-5 and B14-5. The B14-5's last appearance was in the 1979 catalog. The B8-5's first appearance is in the 1980 catalog. Thus we can assume this starter set was probably a late 1979 set. The 17xx sets in those days were specially made for retailers like ToysRUs, thus never in a catalog.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:44 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofireball
Back in 2013 on that other forum, there was some discussion about a starter outfit #1778 called the Long John Silver starter set. They couldn't figure out the year of release, until someone noticed that one of the images had a 1978 catalog in it. Onto this starter outfit #1781 (only 3 outfits later). If you look at the side of the box with engine recommendations, it lists both the B8-5 and B14-5. The B14-5's last appearance was in the 1979 catalog. The B8-5's first appearance is in the 1980 catalog. Thus we can assume this starter set was probably a late 1979 set. The 17xx sets in those days were specially made for retailers like ToysRUs, thus never in a catalog.

I don't have release dates for the Long John Silver nor the BBZ set in the list. What dates do you recommend I enter for the three sets?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Model Rocket Fanatic

If someone has that Estes pamphlet "Discover Model Rocketry" that has the Maxi Alpha III on the cover (as shown in one of the images), there should be a picture on the back with whatever was the current catalog of the time. That is how to figure it out.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:30 PM
Master Modeler

<confused> This looks like a standard Red Max... What’s “little” about it?

Quote:

Attached are photos of the Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781 that I have. I purchased this set on eBay on September 11, 2017. The Porta-Pad that was supposed to be included in the Starter Outfit was missing when I acquired the set. The side panel photos are in black and white, so I’m not sure if the Porta-Pad included was the chrome Citation Star Port Launch Pad or the traditional orange plastic Porta-Pad. The black and white photos show it as a light color, so it may have even been a yellow Porta-Pad, like some of the earlier ones.

Beside checking with the folks at Estes Industries, I plan to do a posting on YORF to see if anyone else has any additional knowledge of this Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781. From all the clues that I have, including the version of the Alpha Mini-Book of Model Rocketry that shows current kits at that time, and the item number scheme, this set appears to have been issued in 1981 or possibly 1982, but most likely 1981, to be a companion to the Estes Deluxe Big Red Max Flying Model Rocketry Outfit #1403, which had the Big Foot Launch Control System.

I do have some additional images also attached from an unopened Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781 that was sold on eBay by Christian Hanawalt on April 30, 2017. I’m not sure who purchased it, but I have Christian Hanawalt’s contact information because I have purchased several other vintage model rocketry items that he was selling from his father’s estate in the past, so I may try to contact him to see if he remembers and is willing to put me in touch with the winning bidder. I will let you know the results of my research.
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 02-08-2021, 12:21 AM
Craftsman

Default Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Now that the Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781 is literally out of the bag and into the box (pun intended), I do have what I believe is a very logical explanation of it and very good reasons for dating this non-catalog listed Estes Little Red Max Starter Outfit #1781 issuance to 1981. I am still in the process of collecting facts, but there are some very distinguishing clues that I have discovered in addition to the input that I have received so far. Please bear with me a little longer until my research is more complete and I will attempt to explain all that I have discovered about it.

If anyone has any additional knowledge of the Estes Little Red Max Flying Model Rocket Starter Outfit #1781, you are welcome to share it.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

Last edited by Faithwalker : 02-08-2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Add title.