Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2020, 12:06 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3Excalibur
This particular seller seems to have an extremely high opinion of his OOP rockets.

Shanghai Dragon CHANG ZHENG 2 (CZ-2E) 189.00
Mini Rocs (MPC) Delta Katt 70.00
Mini Rocks (MCP) Astrobbe D 90.00

All way overpriced from my perspective. Then again, I don't 'collect'. I 'buy to build'. Different market.

2 of these 3 kits are not so rare: the Chang Zheng 2 was still on the shelf at the museum of science last year.
the mini roc Delta Katt was just on Ebay for less than $30.00
the inflation price for the Astro bee D is about $39.00 ( I bought one for $20.00 in 1991)
I would not pay these prices for any of the above kits, but back in the day I would of had built any of one of them.

These Kits are not even in the same league as the Hen Grade.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:55 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

OVERPRICED and not to mention all 3 of those are real TURDS.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-03-2021, 01:21 PM
Apollo Nut

This particular item is not exactly a 'deal' per se, but it is interesting to see that the prior Estes 1/100 scale Saturn 1b still seems to be attracting high bids. This one at $127 and not done yet. I thought the market for this Saturn 1b might drop considerably since the latest re-issue, but maybe not completely.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-2048...AAOSwxstgOow P

The above seller does have a host of Estes and Centuri kits listed though that some here might find interesting.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
This particular item is not exactly a 'deal' per se, but it is interesting to see that the prior Estes 1/100 scale Saturn 1b still seems to be attracting high bids. This one at $127 and not done yet. I thought the market for this Saturn 1b might drop considerably since the latest re-issue, but maybe not completely.

The above seller does have a host of Estes and Centuri kits listed though that some here might find interesting.

Earl

Yeah, and he's getting some really good prices too!
Old 03-03-2021, 04:22 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:

Earl

Only goes to continue to show,,, Everything is collectible to someone, to some degree !
Keep and treat everything you have as such.......
Old 03-04-2021, 08:22 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Only goes to continue to show,,, Everything is collectible to someone, to some degree !
Keep and treat everything you have as such.......

I, too, thought the #2048 would drop in price commanded, based on the new Saturn 1B.

The high price on ebay for this kit was $471! And the mean price was $188. (Numbers from Gerry Fortin site). I had 3 boxed until last year. I gave one to a friend for Christmas, I built one, and I still have one in the box. My built kit is just awaiting really nice weather so I can paint it.

The old kit is pretty nice, it does have an injection molded fuel tank shroud, but the new release has molded plastic fins and SLA (LEM shroud). Building 8 tiny vacuformed fins on the old kit is really fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  9FAACA1F-F7A9-4E7E-9307-1F93C4DCC2EF.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  266.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2031A60E-F72C-45B6-B564-B62E122EB5A5.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  262.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FF755CC5-44C8-43B6-83F0-790E223E9FBF.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  317.7 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-04-2021, 08:29 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I, too, thought the #2048 would drop in price commanded, based on the new Saturn 1B.

The high price on ebay for this kit was $471! I had 3 boxed until last year. I gave one to a friend for Christmas, I built one, and I still have one in the box. My built kit is just awaiting really nice weather so I can paint it.

The old kit is pretty nice, it does have an injection molded fuel tank shroud, but the new release has molded plastic fins and SLA (LEM shroud). Building 8 tiny vacuformed fins on the old kit is really fun!

That prior Estes 1b is almost a complete copy of the original Centuri 1b. They changed a few little things...they made the tank shroud a bit more robust and the capsule and tower come from the Estes capsule/tower mold versus the Centuri capsule/tower mold. The Centuri tower was a bit better, though the capsules between the two were very similar. Centuri had the metallic foil wrap for the SM details; Estes had you just paint the entire SM silver.

Otherwise, the tubes, wraps, hollow vacuform fins, etc are exactly the same between the two. Yes, the eight two-part fins were ‘fun’!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-05-2021, 08:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
That prior Estes 1b is almost a complete copy of the original Centuri 1b. They changed a few little things...they made the tank shroud a bit more robust and the capsule and tower come from the Estes capsule/tower mold versus the Centuri capsule/tower mold. The Centuri tower was a bit better, though the capsules between the two were very similar. Centuri had the metallic foil wrap for the SM details; Estes had you just paint the entire SM silver.

Otherwise, the tubes, wraps, hollow vacuform fins, etc are exactly the same between the two. Yes, the eight two-part fins were ‘fun’!

Earl

And the 24mm mount vs twin 18mm's. I like the cluster better. When I had my first CATO, I rebuilt it with a single 18mm and flew it on C5-3S motors until one of them CATO'd also. I went back to twin 18's when I rebuilt it the 2nd time.

My Centuri capsules are a little thicker, but don't have the raised detail that the Estes boost cover has. The escape motor is a mylar tube like launch lugs with a base and a tiny nose cone. I actually like that better than the solid plastic Estes ones with the oversized detail.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:52 AM
Apollo Nut

Yep, left the cluster part out completely didn't I? I did like the Centuri escape motor better too (mylar tube and nose cone). The Estes capsule did make an attempt to have some surface detail as you mentioned, whereas the Centuri capsule had no surface detail at all. But, that had a downside in the also re-issued Estes 1/100 Little Joe II kit, in that you had to sand all that surface detail off the capsule, per the instructions.

That Estes Little Joe II also had only the paper embossed wrap (as opposed to the chrome embossed wrap of the Centuri 1/100 LJ). But, the Estes 1/100 Little Joe was not a bad kit at all. I still have one that I flew very regularly for many years.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-05-2021, 04:11 PM
CG to close to CP

Quote:
The Estes capsule did make an attempt to have some surface detail as you mentioned, whereas the Centuri capsule had no surface detail at all. But, that had a downside in the also re-issued Estes 1/100 Little Joe II kit, in that you had to sand all that surface detail off the capsule, per the instructions.

Earl

My very first Early 70's Estes k-36 Saturn V, with black/orange checkerboard parachutes, the capsule had no raised detail, but the same plastic escape tower and solid escape motor. I still have that K-36, and capsule, just without the escape tower. Do not know when the switched to the more detailed capsule.