Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Cosmic American

Default Venus Probe 24mm Mod: Plan / Help Request

We're ready to start working on our Venus Probe but I've been told that I should mod it to 24mm for stable flight. At EMRR I've seen mention that the September/October 1997 issue of Sport Rocketry has the plans for a mod on page 19 if anyone has this issue and wouldn't mind scanning it.

If nobody has that I was hoping you might just happen to know how to go about this off the top of your head... I'll need to know exactly which parts I'll need to, and where to get them online (again, we have no local hobby shops anywhere near, and the closes ones do not have individual parts).

Gracias!
Daniel
Old 02-23-2007, 03:14 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrunyon
We're ready to start working on our Venus Probe but I've been told that I should mod it to 24mm for stable flight. At EMRR I've seen mention that the September/October 1997 issue of Sport Rocketry has the plans for a mod on page 19 if anyone has this issue and wouldn't mind scanning it.

If nobody has that I was hoping you might just happen to know how to go about this off the top of your head... I'll need to know exactly which parts I'll need to, and where to get them online (again, we have no local hobby shops anywhere near, and the closes ones do not have individual parts).

Gracias!
Daniel

Ah! That's the info I was looking for (can't find my Sport Rocketry index...).

I'll scan it tonight and bring it to the launch. If you don't make it to the launch I'll email it to you afterwards, unless you want me to go ahead and email it tonight.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Cosmic American

Awesome Roy!

Once again I wont be able to make the trip so I'll definitely take you up on that email!

I was really wanting to make it this time too because next saturday starts my wedding video bookings for the year!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Launching since 1970.

Replace 4 rings (~20/55) with 4 50/55 rings. Replace thick wall BT-20 with an 18 inch long BT-50. Add a 20/50 ring for a 24mm thrust ring. Use 3/16" diameter launch lugs instead of the 1/8" launch lugs.

And be careful of the dowel retention doohickey location. The original instructions position it incorrectly and it misses the dowel-legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrunyon

Gracias!
Daniel
Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Cosmic American

Much appreciated... I got Roy's scan and the istructions were a little confusing to me, not yet having a grasp on the names and numbers of the different parts, but you're simplified version helped me to see it more clearly... gracias!