Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Master Modeler

Default Vanel's recent builds

Thought I'd start my own thread, rather than hijacking others - though i realize that that is a norm on this forum

In time for Christmas, an Excelsior Polar-1. As you can see, I have had the decals for some time

In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 12-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Master Modeler

An Estes Meteor. Since I work for NASA as a meteor "expert", I thought it was high time I built this one. Had a bit of trouble with the old decals, even with a couple of coats of decal film. Still, it turned out decent.

In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Thought I'd start my own thread, rather than hijacking others - though i realize that that is a norm on this forum

In time for Christmas, an Excelsior Polar-1. As you can see, I have had the decals for some time

2004! You can tell it's old because the Excelsior logo is New York instead of Michigan.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 12-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Master Modeler

Centuri Long Tom clone - I love the "classic Centuri" lines of this rocket! Parts by Semroc, decals by Excelsior.

In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Nice work. I especially like your Long Tom clone. I happen to be in the middle of my Estes Long Tom "Classic Series" kit build. In fact as I write this, I'm waiting for the glue to dry on the sustainer fin fillets. I'm anticipating a bit of a challenge when it comes to painting it. Like you did, I want to do it up in the factory paint scheme, and it looks like some masking will be involved here, especially on the booster. I don't have much experience masking around fin fillets; any advice on technique? I'm concerned about "bleed through" and I was going to rattle can it.

Douglas
Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugliss
Nice work. I especially like your Long Tom clone. I happen to be in the middle of my Estes Long Tom "Classic Series" kit build. In fact as I write this, I'm waiting for the glue to dry on the sustainer fin fillets. I'm anticipating a bit of a challenge when it comes to painting it. Like you did, I want to do it up in the factory paint scheme, and it looks like some masking will be involved here, especially on the booster. I don't have much experience masking around fin fillets; any advice on technique? I'm concerned about "bleed through" and I was going to rattle can it.

Douglas

Just use the blue 3M masking tape and burnish the edges with a fingernail before you start.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugliss

Douglas

I tried many things over the years for masking - 3M painter's tape, scotch tape, and so forth. Still had lots of bleeds, due to not burnishing down all the edges and my poor eyesight. A few years back I started using the Tamiya masking tape I found at the LHS. It's expensive, but very forgiving - I haven't had a problem since.

The one technique I used before that worked ok was scotch tape followed by a coat of the same color to seal the edges. Then apply the fin color.

Also, remove the mask as soon as the paint has set, else you run the risk of it "chipping".

Good luck with the Long Tom!
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Just use the blue 3M masking tape and burnish the edges with a fingernail before you start.

Thanks, I can go for that.

Douglas

Last edited by dugliss : 12-18-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

[QUOTE=Vanel]

The one technique I used before that worked ok was scotch tape followed by a coat of the same color to seal the edges. Then apply the fin color.

Also, remove the mask as soon as the paint has set, else you run the risk of it "chipping".

Thanks for this tip, Vanel. In the past when I had a rocket with the BT and fins having different colors, I would usually spraypaint the BT and then handpaint the fins, but with a high contrast white and black scheme, masking and spraypaint will have a more uniform look with hopefully straighter edges; plus I want to develop some skill here.

Centuri had some very interesting and innovative designs and also great looking rockets. I have no less than four rockets that are retro repros of centuri rockets.

Douglas
Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Master Modeler

A very nice lot of rockets! I'm particularly partial to the Long Tom clone. One of my favorite models and you did a catalog worthy build. They're pretty darn good flyers as well. I've done the minimum recommended loads and it gets up there pretty good. I'm looking forward to an absolutely still day.