Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Saturn 1b nut

Default Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b build thread (Apollo 5)

Hi guys,
I am very new to this Forum....but I wanted to try a build thread for my favorite kit of all time, the Zooch 1b. This particular thread will be for his Apollo 5 variant...if I remember correctly, this was Gus's rocket SA-204. Apollo 5 was the first flight of LM as was shown in the previous thread. I consider myself to be an average builder at best...so I am always open to suggestions! I hope I am able to attach pictures etc...I admit I am not very good with computers! The Zooch kit makes a cool rocket straight out of the bx but along the way I hope to add some extra detail with inexpensive stuff to try to make it more detailed.

here is the Zooch box with his nifty artwork on the top. The completed rocket will fit back into the box when completed so these sturdy boxes make a great way to transport the rocket to the pad! I hope this works......

[IMG]000_1364a.JPG[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  000_1364a.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  128.0 KB  
Old 08-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Saturn 1b nut

OK....lets open the box and see what comes wth the kit.

[IMG]000_1367a.jpg[/IMG]

not too bad. There is a whole lot of fun in this little box for only $25!

If any have not built a Zooch kit, his instruction sheets are a hoot...if you appreciate wise cracks and stuff. I have always found his instructions to be straight forward. These are builders kits....the ones we made when we were younger...nothing laser cut etc. Personally, I enjoy these kinds of kits...it brings back fond memories of building these kits when I was a kid. (I always loved the Estes Mercury Redstone, Goblin and how about the old Estes Nike Ajax....anyone ever build one of those?) Apparently when I was a kid, in the 60's and early 70's...there used to be a Nike Ajax missile battery about 3 miles or so from my house. Protecting one of the local Navy airbases I guess. I grew up in Warminster Pa....and there used to be a small Naval base called the Naval Air Development Center NADC) ..this was where the centrifuge for the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions was located and all of these guys used to fly up and pull the G's on that thing...any ways...sorry for straying off topic...just seeing kits like these brings back lots of memories.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  000_1367a.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  141.8 KB  
Old 08-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

I'll tune into your thread with a lot of interest. I have the Zooch Saturn 1B kit..........but I like the look of yours better, and I hope to be able to modify mine with a homemade paper shroud. At some point I'll ask you to measure the total length from the large shoulder of the tapered portion to the tip of the nose cone.

Joe
Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Saturn 1b nut

not a problem Joe...are you are thinking of doing a way to detail the SLA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I'll tune into your thread with a lot of interest. I have the Zooch Saturn 1B kit..........but I like the look of yours better, and I hope to be able to modify mine with a homemade paper shroud. At some point I'll ask you to measure the total length from the large shoulder of the tapered portion to the tip of the nose cone.

Joe
Old 08-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrick
not a problem Joe...are you are thinking of doing a way to detail the SLA?

Not until I watch you first to see how much work is involved
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Saturn 1b nut

OK...I am going to go out of step here on this build. The key to the Zooch 1b is rolling the LOX and fuel tanks. When I first got back into rocketry, I chose the Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b as my BAR rocket...when it came time to roll these tanks...no matter what I did I could not roll the tank without creasing it. I then came across a blog by Chris Michaelson...aka HCMBanjo who recommended steaming the tanks to loosen up the paper allowing it to roll without creasing. It was as if I had discovered the Rosetta Stone. Every time I do a Zooch 1b build I always say a thanks to Chris. I would have tossed the kit without his blog.

so lets roll some tanks! We will do the hard part first and get it out of the way. The remaining build I think you will find is very straightforward.

the kit provides you with card stock paper that will allow you to make the 8 thanks. I always make extra copies....since we are rolling paper there will always be some that don't roll as well as you want them and will be discarded.

here is a picture of the kit's fuel tanks (you will note they are still holding the roll that they came with from the box and some extra LOX tanks that I printed out.....use 67lb card stock paper
[IMG]000_1369a.jpg[/IMG]

we have to roll the flat paper onto a 3/8" dowel without creasing it. What I do is gently start to curve the paper around a 1/2" dowel to start to get the paper to curl. The kits tank come rolled up snug and they are easier to work with since they are already curled a bit.
[IMG]000_1371a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]000_1372a.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  000_1369a.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  85.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  000_1371a.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  96.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  000_1372a.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  133.5 KB  
Old 08-24-2015, 03:52 PM
Saturn 1b nut

now it is time to break out the trusty Mk 1 tea pot. This tea pot was purchased by yours truly at Bed Bath and Beyond. On my first Zooch 1b I hauled out our old tea pot that hadn't been used in years..only to break the handle on it! Like any husband, I simply put the tea pot back up on the shelf and never said a word about it. My wife (SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED) noticed that thing within days!! How do they always notice this stuff??? Honestly, it hadn't been touched in years. I should have thrown it away and thereby gotten rid of the evidence. So it was off to BB&B for me with my wife. Now, I will go on record as saying I hate that store...there is simply too much estrogen in there and I cannot stay in there..there is nothing in there of interest to me, Not one thing. My wife?? can ship in there for hours. This tea pot was the end result of one of those long shopping trips. I moved in like Seal team 6 and picked this pot within 60 seconds and was ready to exit the premises...my wife?? not so much. After hour of buying god knows what...we finally departed. Now..this pot is mine and if I choose to break it she cannot say anything...although she will try...

here is the Mk1 tea pot ready for action
[IMG]000.1374a.jpg[/IMG]

the trick is to steam the paper and let the steam loosen the grain...you will see the paper start to unwind after a few seconds. Of course, try not to roast your fingers! You do not have to saturate the paper....after 10 -20 seconds of gently rolling and turning the paper to heat it evenly, you will feel it being noticeably looser.

[IMG]000_1375a.jpeg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  000_1374a.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  145.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  000_1375a.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  128.8 KB  
Old 08-24-2015, 03:55 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrick
OK...I am going to go out of step here on this build. The key to the Zooch 1b is rolling the LOX and fuel tanks. When I first got back into rocketry, I chose the Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b as my BAR rocket...when it came time to roll these tanks...no matter what I did I could not roll the tank without creasing it. I then came across a blog by Chris Michaelson...aka HCMBanjo who recommended steaming the tanks to loosen up the paper allowing it to roll without creasing. It was as if I had discovered the Rosetta Stone. Every time I do a Zooch 1b build I always say a thanks to Chris. I would have tossed the kit without his blog.

Wow, Thanks!
Glad to hear the blog helped out.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the build.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Saturn 1b nut

now...you will want to move fairly quickly here as the paper will start to bind back...Dr. Zooch recommends that you roll the tanks on a soft surface...you will see my highly fashionable mats that were purchased at the dollar store!

the trick is to start the roll on a straight edge so that you can roll the tanks evenly across the 3/8" dowel. I had to take pictures here one handed so I apologize...but you will want to splay your fingers across the paper as you roll maintaining a firm pressure so that you do not have the paper unwind....once you reach about 1/2" left to roll, put a film of white glue down. You will not need to put a lot of glue down..a film will hold it. You will want to roll the tank back and forth over the glue joint for a few seconds until it holds.

[IMG]000_1376a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]000_1377a.jpg[/IMG]

in these pictures you can see one of my hands holding the paper firmly....the other was using the camera but you will want to hold it tightly as you roll.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  000_1376a.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  132.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  000_1377a.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  137.3 KB  
Old 08-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Saturn 1b nut

after some practice, you will find that you can spit these tanks out a pretty good clip. Here are some tanks that I rolled today and some that I had as spares from a prior build. The white tanks with lettering are from the Zooch Skylab/ASTP version of the 1b. (the white tank version is my personal favorite!) These did not come with the Apollo 5 kit....SA-204 flew with the black fuel tanks and that is what this kit came with.

[IMG]000_1379a.jpg[/IMG]

When you start to roll the tank across the small dowel, try to make sure that you have it lined up evenly across the dowel...that will allow the tank to have the lettering in a nice vertical line.

[IMG]000_1381a.jpg[/IMG]

this tank looks =good to me and is approved for flight!

when rolling the tanks I always keep two sets of wet towels on hand...one to wipe the glue off the rolling mat and one to wipe my fingers. take care to wipe your hands frequently during this because I have found the black that comes my printer tends to leave a residue on my fingers from handlung and it is easy to smudge your white tanks if you are not careful. A smudged LOX tank would be very bad!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  000_1379a.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  130.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  000_1381a.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  76.5 KB