Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Master Modeler

I actually have a copy of the MIT study that the movie was "based" on. Of course, it is nothing like the movie

The MIT study called for a recon satellite and a series of Saturn V's equipped with 100 megaton warheads (2x the size of the Tsar bombs) to make deep space intercepts that would deflect the asteroid away from Earth. It is an interesting read, especially the issues posed by the slowness of 60's flight computers in determining distance from the asteroid in real time and arming/detonating the warhead at the proper spot. It was the first serious planetary defense scheme.
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 10-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I don't post here often, so I don't know if I've attached it right, but presumably the attachment will show the printed LTV Scout parts that I've done. They are a very faithful reproduction of the original. The ultra dumb thing is, that I've apparently lost the upper plastic parts, and I need them to finish the CAD modeling. So here's the deal. If someone could send me the upper plastic parts (the three pieces above the separation point), I will pay shipping both ways and with the return will include a full set of printed parts (the fins are just as durable as the originals, so I'll include extras). Now, I could work from someone's measurements, and I will if I must but I'd much rather have the parts on-hand. I could even work from an assembled model (though unassembled would be preferred), in any condition. Got a busted up one and want to rebuild it? Here's your chance.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  lower parts2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  108.6 KB  
Old 10-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Final prints will be in white, of course.

Gary
Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcp
I don't post here often, so I don't know if I've attached it right, but presumably the attachment will show the printed LTV Scout parts that I've done. They are a very faithful reproduction of the original. The ultra dumb thing is, that I've apparently lost the upper plastic parts, and I need them to finish the CAD modeling. So here's the deal. If someone could send me the upper plastic parts (the three pieces above the separation point), I will pay shipping both ways and with the return will include a full set of printed parts (the fins are just as durable as the originals, so I'll include extras). Now, I could work from someone's measurements, and I will if I must but I'd much rather have the parts on-hand. I could even work from an assembled model (though unassembled would be preferred), in any condition. Got a busted up one and want to rebuild it? Here's your chance.

Gary

It's amazing what can be done with CAD and a 3D printer, Gary. Hopefully you find someone to step up with the parts. If not, I'll see if I can locate my first LTV Scout kit I bought off of Kurt Schachner. That one is opened.

For those that aren't aware, years ago Gary wrote a program that many rocketeers used (and still use) before we had RockSim and OpenRocket. That program is VCP (Visual Center of Pressure). It's a Windows program that helps design stable rockets showing the Center of Pressure and Center of Gravity.

Here are a couple links where you can get the program:

http://www.nar.org/software.html

http://v-serv.com/vcp/
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Rockets & BP= Happy, Happy, Happy

I'm gonna try and help him out as best I can with the kit I recently purchased off of Ebay. It's a neat looking rocket with some great history behind it. I can't wait to put mine in the air and watch her fly. After I help Gary out, of course. I don't mind a delay in gratification if it helps keep this kit /rocket alive for others to enjoy. Maybe Gary will put all of us one step closer to a new and improved re-release of the LTV Scout.

Just curious. Is it more or less costly to 3D print parts? I'm thinking more costly, and would probably not want to do on a mass produced scale. I'm sure there is wear and tear on the printer too. Those printers are not even a little bit cheap.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks guys,

Re the cost of 3d printing: the plastic is pretty cheap, unless you're doing something really huge. Quite a bit of plastic in the scout, so it might be 2-3 dollars worth, maybe a bit more. But it does take awhile to print. Others have figured the amortized cost of running the printer at $1-$1.50, but I think that's on the high side. But it will probably take 20 hours or more to print a full Scout parts set. The only thing that will make it practical is that I'll gang all the parts together, push the button, and let it go overnight and while I'm at work. My printer is very reliable and I've done 15+ hour prints pretty often.

Gary
Old 10-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

I have LTV Scout parts also, if something happens and astronot can't send them.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

$1-$1.50/hour

But you also need to amortize in the cost of the CAD time, and test printing to tweak things right. So far I've printed everything at least twice, and probably a dozen or more aborted prints.

Gary
Old 10-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Oh God! We watched Meteor so many time on the sub that we could reenact it with sock puppets.
.........and then came the Meteor pinball machine..................................

Sock Puppets? We had betted uses for socks topside.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Sock Puppets? We had betted uses for socks topside.

Mittens?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078