Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Craftsman

Default Estes Citation BOMARC #KC-5

Hi Folks!

I'm cloning the Estes BOMARC "glider/controlled crash" version and wanted to know if the pylons were made from 1/4" balsa like the non-gilder/controlled crash version. I am also assuming the wings, tail (with slight mods) and stabilizer are the same as the non-glider version. Is that correct? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Flying since 1977

I would think so, but the KC-5 plans are here: http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/est0654.htm . Those plans should illustrated the differences between the two kits.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 06-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Master Modeler

Good luck if you make it a glider. Make sure you have plenty of nose weight. This puppy is unstable W/O it.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Colorado Based OTH BAR

Default Cloning the Bomarc -

Some thoughts on cloning this model as I have done this myself with mixed results. It’s a challenge to say the least. In boost phase you have to make sure your CG is right on the money, so getting the CG is paramount. Install the nose weight close to the tip as you can. As this will require you to drill out the nose cone it will be touch and go in the end reduce your over need for weight. It may take a few tries and small repairs with clay epoxy as it did for me when I punched out of the cone. I recommend either some lead ball sinkers or cheap BB’s instead of clay. They are denser and therefore require less mass than clay. Also the clay can slowly dry out over time changing its weight and reducing stability to the rocket as it gets older. That brings in the next challenge. The eject-able pod also requires some weight per the instructions. The pod weight is to help with boost stability and is added prior to the nose weight. I would try and get the lead disks from SEMROC if they still have them or find out how much each lead disk weighed. I think I have some and can weigh them out. That way you have a measured amount to work from. Then adding more weight to the nose as needed during the CG balance test with engine and chute installed. This model is marginally stable as it is and even the parachute version I have is sketchy if you fail to get the nose weight wrong. It’s taken me years to get that one to fly just right. As with any model rocket wind is a factor, but you will need to take in account wind conditions more so with this model. It comes down to know when to fly it. Low wind conditions are best and/or make the model face sideways to the wind direction as it comes off the pad.

Once the pod ejects you do not want a lawn dart, so I recommend many test glides. I found a bit more elevator is a good idea for this model, the trick is make sure the elevator is absolutely flat in boost phase or it will roll over on its back cork screwing through the sky. You can forget anything below a C engine and I do not recommend a delay longer than 3 for two reasons. The C6-5 adds just enough weight in the back to make whatever you add to balance it out in the front too heavy for the motor to lift it off the pad quick enough for aerodynamic stabilized flight. Also the “5” delay is too long and if your flight is unstable this model will most likely end up “flying” more of a horizontal arc than vertical and may very well “land” prior to parachute deployment.
C.R.A.S.H. - NAR Section #482
SAM Member #0153

"I said Lunch, not Launch!"

- Far Out Space Nuts
Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Does anyone know if BMS or others make the engine nacelle cones? Recently picked up one of these kits, only to find the factory put 3 of the small liners that fit into the nacelles, and one nacelle, in the package; instead of two small liners and two nacelles. BMS looks like they have one that fits a BT-5 - not sure if that's it or not...looks it might be for the Mini Brute version of the Bomarc
Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Colorado Based OTH BAR

I bought the engine nacelles from SEMROC. Last I checked they had them

Here is the Bomarc parts list page -

BNC-50BA Nose Cone X 2

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=142
C.R.A.S.H. - NAR Section #482
SAM Member #0153

"I said Lunch, not Launch!"

- Far Out Space Nuts
Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Mini-Brute Bomarc used BT-5 nacelles and I think a BT-20 main body.
The full-size Bomarc (BG and non-BG) versions used BT-50 nacelles.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for the fast reply! Off to Semroc to get the goods..
Old 10-12-2013, 01:15 PM
BAR

FWIW, BMS does make them also, that's what I built my clone with. BNC50BA.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 10-12-2013, 06:00 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtuinila
Hi Folks!

I'm cloning the Estes BOMARC "glider/controlled crash" version and wanted to know if the pylons were made from 1/4" balsa like the non-gilder/controlled crash version. I am also assuming the wings, tail (with slight mods) and stabilizer are the same as the non-glider version. Is that correct? Thanks!

The one I won at NARAM-13 had thick symetrically-airfoiled pylons. I don't remember how thick, but they had to be at least 1/4" at the high point. This was from probably the first production run of the kit, so I don't know what happened with subsequent runs, nor with the later, non-gliding version.

Last edited by Royatl : 10-13-2013 at 12:45 AM.