Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhemi1971
With regards to the solar ignitor issue...Wasnt the solar ignitor supposed to be used with 6 volt systems and the other ignitors used with 12 volts like a car battery? That was always what I heard....

The solar could be used with 6V, but also 12V (just like the Estes igniters of today, which are essentially the same thing). Astron required 12V due to the thicker wire.

-Tim
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer
The solar could be used with 6V, but also 12V (just like the Estes igniters of today, which are essentially the same thing). Astron required 12V due to the thicker wire.

-Tim

Astron igniters worked just fine with a GOOD 6 volt battery such as a lantern battery. many launchers were sold that screwed directly onto a screw top lantern battery. Some were 6 volt and some had slotted holes for 6 or 12 volt batteries.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Rocket Junkie

I have a home-brew launch controller. For the longest time, it's power source was a single 7.2V 1500Mah R/C-type battery pack. This setup worked great for 3-motor clusters. It never failed to light all 3 motors in well over 30 launches.

I used it that way for a long time. Then I came across 7.2V batt packs that were on clearance at Wallyworld for 11.00 bucks, AND it included the charger. I could not pass that up, so I upgraded and installed the second 7.2V pack in series with the first.

The single battery setup was fine, but the dual battery setup lights clusters as fast as you can push the button!

Another key to cluster success is to use a clip whip. I think there's a risk in breaking the bridge wire by twisting the ignter leads together - not to mention that twisting leads is a hassle.

Also, install the igniter properly and test continuity of each igniter individually. I cannot stress this enough. My launch controller has continuity check, but it is useless when flying clusters. Only one igniter need to be good to complete the continuity circuit.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Craftsman

Wink 3-engine Clusters

Sounds like u have been down the road. I'll try the clip whip. Thanks, Glenn