Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
A few thoughts:

1. No A10-0T's nor A8-0's (If I had to settle for one or the other, I'd take some A10-0T's.)

2. The flow of the catalog is wavy. It starts out with classics, then launch sets, then RTF birds followed by skill level 1 kits. So far, so good. But then it goes back to more launch sets, then more RTF rockets, then a run of E2X kits, then back to skill level 1. After that, it logically ramps up to skill level 2 and then 3. The meandering in the middle is a little confusing. In my mind, they should have kept things grouped. It's not a huge deal, but that's what struck me while I was perusing it. I thought I had somehow flipped back some pages when I came upon the RTF birds for the second time, and felt a tad confused.

<editorial>3. The seemingly over-abundant supply of E2X kits is a little disconcerting. </editorial>

4. I see the turd Mongoose is back along with its self-destructing, ballistic recovery booster section. I know it uses the E2X plastic fin unit which dictates the fins be placed on the aft end of the booster, but that makes it stable. They need to find another way of doing it so that the fins are farther forward making the booster unstable for tumble recovery. It's not a sin for something bad to come to market, but it's a sin for it to keep coming back with the same old warts.

Doug

Doug

The bottom line is, they are producing a PRINT catalog, the last one was the 2006 issue, that alone should mean something.

Let's see, Hobbico acquired Estes on january 15,2010
So far, in this short period of time the folloiwng has happened.

1. Release on a bunch of new kits (Classics-balsa)
2. Support of NARCON with door prizes and gift certificates
3. Support and attendance at NARAM 52
4 http://www.peakcity.org
5. NARAM 52 Commerative rocket kit (FREE) see details at the above NARAM site
6. PDF catalogs from 2005 to present (www.estesrockets.com)
7. 2010 Print catalog (2006 last printed catalog)
8. New updated web site
9. Online sales, including parts

In my opinion, I think it is a lot of positive actions in a very short period of time......Don't you?

It's a new company, let's give them a chance to turn things around from the past 19 years.

RD
Old 03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Master Modeler

The lower two stages of the Comanche were lost.

Realism in catalog photography.

I can understand the A10-0T not being reintroduced w/o a kit to go along with it.

I still have hope though. Keep writing letters for a re-release of the Midget!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Launching since 1970.

Helicat....

Helicat....

It's not your fault.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I am encouraged by the increase in selection of model rocket kits that will be available this year as opposed to the last few years. Also, nice to see a print catalog again.

Best regards,
Brian
Old 03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The lower two stages of the Comanche were lost.

Realism in catalog photography.
The middle stage is the tough one. The first one comes off at a low enough altitude to be tracked and recovered without great difficulty. But that middle one is way up there when the sustainer lights.

I've only flown my Comanche once on the full D-C-C stack, and the 2nd stage was easily 1/4 mile from the pad.

A crew of 5 isn't too many for this rocket

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I still have hope though. Keep writing letters for a re-release of the Midget!
A man after my own heart

Seriously, even if they wanted to, they couldn't call it Midget, not in this politically correct day and age. Maybe something like the Diminuitive Dude, but not Midget

Doug...suddenly reminded of Reagan's interior secretary, James Watt

YORF member #11
Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Doug

The bottom line is, they are producing a PRINT catalog, the last one was the 2006 issue, that alone should mean something.

Let's see, Hobbico acquired Estes on january 15,2010
So far, in this short period of time the folloiwng has happened.

1. Release on a bunch of new kits (Classics-balsa)

To be fair, these are kits that were developed and started into production before the sale.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:

(snip)
In my opinion, I think it is a lot of positive actions in a very short period of time......Don't you?
RD,

Perhaps I could have been more positive. But let me be clear, I wasn't out to bash Estes - I long ago grew tired of the guys who seemed to just be piling on. I fly lots and lots of Estes motors. Yesterday, I had four flights using a total of 11 Estes motors including the OOP C11-0 and C11-7 (two motors I'd like to see brought back) so you can see I support them where it counts the most.

I'm glad to see most of the new developemnts. OTOH, I also want to see the vaporware - several announced kits and motors have been waylaid in the past two years and that's frustrating. Generally, I don't worry too much about the kits - I scratch build much of my stuff - but it's still a turn-off to never see things after they've been announced.

So, like everyone else, I'll wait to see what the new deal brings, but I'm not ready to hand them awards, at least not yet

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
RD,

Perhaps I could have been more positive. But let me be clear, I wasn't out to bash Estes - I long ago grew tired of the guys who seemed to just be piling on. I fly lots and lots of Estes motors. Yesterday, I had four flights using a total of 11 Estes motors including the OOP C11-0 and C11-7 (two motors I'd like to see brought back) so you can see I support them where it counts the most.

I'm glad to see most of the new developemnts. OTOH, I also want to see the vaporware - several announced kits and motors have been waylaid in the past two years and that's frustrating. Generally, I don't worry too much about the kits - I scratch build much of my stuff - but it's still a turn-off to never see things after they've been announced.

So, like everyone else, I'll wait to see what the new deal brings, but I'm not ready to hand them awards, at least not yet

Doug

Doug

I think one of the problems was being in compliance with the HR4040 (Lead Law), and, hopefully that issue is behind them.

I know the A8-0's and the A10-0T's were suppose to be out long ago, time will tell.

All in all, I see great things coming on the horizon.

RD
Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Doug

It's a new company, let's give them a chance to turn things around from the past 19 years.

RD

To be fair, if they want to do everything we as flyers would love to see it will take some time. While the improvements that have been discussed most likely were put in motion months ago, it's just as likely they had input driving the changes ahead of the take over, more or less, getting a head start.

As a former long term business owner I'd say give them a year and let's see where things go from here. Like I said, we've seen a flicker of light., let them have their own chance to show us where they'll take the company.

Very cautiously optomistic,

Randy
www.vernarockets.com