Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2019, 09:57 PM
Craftsman

I ended up also designing a BT-60 to BT-55 boat tail per another's request.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4031312
Old 12-14-2019, 07:24 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
I have a Creality CR-10mini. The plastic was PLA. I have only been printing for about 2 months.
I use Ultimaker Cura to turn STL into a slier code. Thanks again, Jack.
That looks really good - far smoother than some 3D parts I've had to deal with.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 12-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
That looks really good - far smoother than some 3D parts I've had to deal with.

I was really satisfied with the print. I have my printer set on the finest printing setting it has or should I say the finest setting Cura allows me to set my printer at. It takes longer to print things but it's worth it. I still have to sand pieces but not as much.

At the moment I'm working on the X-15 found on Thingiverse resize to a BT-60 size and to fly on a D size engine. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3048552 I may try to do a build thread here when I get everything printed up and the assembly figured out. I find the printer really handy.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
I have a Creality CR-10mini. The plastic was PLA. I have only been printing for about 2 months.
I use Ultimaker Cura to turn STL into a slier code. Thanks again, Jack.

PLA is not the best choice for 3D printed model rocket parts. I have had to reprint almost all of the parts I made from PLA in either ABS or some other higher temperature filament like Nylon or PETG. I have two Creality Ender 2 printers and now an Ender 3. I built enclosures out of Styrofoam for the Ender 2 printers that allow me to print with ABS filament. I also use the CURA slicer software that comes with the Creality printers. I have owned 3D printers for about 2 years and have printed thousands of model rocket parts. After about 3 to 6 months I noticed all of the PLA nosecones I made were very loose fitting, much more so than when they were originally 3D printed. All the tail cones I made and flew in model rockets curled and wrinkled at the bottom where they were either exposed to hot exhaust and/or the motor mount tube. All the fins on the fin cans I 3D printed with PLA warped and looked liked Lasagna noodles! The full rockets I printed in PLA now have a distinct bend in them. There is a good reason Additive Aerospace only uses PET plastic for the parts they sell: https://www.additiveaerospace.com/
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 12-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1
PLA is not the best choice for 3D printed model rocket parts. I have had to reprint almost all of the parts I made from PLA in either ABS or some other higher temperature filament like Nylon or PETG. I have two Creality Ender 2 printers and now an Ender 3. I built enclosures out of Styrofoam for the Ender 2 printers that allow me to print with ABS filament. I also use the CURA slicer software that comes with the Creality printers. I have owned 3D printers for about 2 years and have printed thousands of model rocket parts. After about 3 to 6 months I noticed all of the PLA nosecones I made were very loose fitting, much more so than when they were originally 3D printed. All the tail cones I made and flew in model rockets curled and wrinkled at the bottom where they were either exposed to hot exhaust and/or the motor mount tube. All the fins on the fin cans I 3D printed with PLA warped and looked liked Lasagna noodles! The full rockets I printed in PLA now have a distinct bend in them. There is a good reason Additive Aerospace only uses PET plastic for the parts they sell: https://www.additiveaerospace.com/

Thanks. for the advice.