Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2019, 09:24 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Wanted: Centuri Visible Astro and Firebird

Looking for two elusive Centuri kits.

The first is the Visible Astro from the 1971 catalog, its only appearance. Clear body tube, meant primarily for classroom instruction. Non-flying model. Kind of the Centuri equivalent of the Estes Phantom.

Catalog link: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...d/71dcen44.html

Also, the Centuri Firebird, from the final Centuri catalog in 1983. Rather straightforward kit, and one of the very last kits to be introduced under the Centuri label. Made primarily from Estes sized parts by this point in the Centuri time line.

Catalog link: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...i83/83cen4.html

Am open to kits either sealed or open; might even entertain partial kits. PM me for anything you might have on these kits. Would entertain trades too, if there is something you are looking for in particular.

Thanks in advance.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-09-2021, 03:55 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Looking for two elusive Centuri kits.

The first is the Visible Astro from the 1971 catalog, its only appearance. Clear body tube, meant primarily for classroom instruction. Non-flying model. Kind of the Centuri equivalent of the Estes Phantom.

Catalog link: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...d/71dcen44.html

Also, the Centuri Firebird, from the final Centuri catalog in 1983. Rather straightforward kit, and one of the very last kits to be introduced under the Centuri label. Made primarily from Estes sized parts by this point in the Centuri time line.

Catalog link: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...i83/83cen4.html

Am open to kits either sealed or open; might even entertain partial kits. PM me for anything you might have on these kits. Would entertain trades too, if there is something you are looking for in particular.

Thanks in advance.

Earl

Here you go, Earl, on the Centuri Visible Astro: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3341392399...353.m1438.l2649

Hope you are the successful bidder.

This is not my listing, nor do I know the lister.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Old 09-09-2021, 04:28 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Here you go, Earl, on the Centuri Visible Astro: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3341392399...353.m1438.l2649

Hope you are the successful bidder.

This is not my listing, nor do I know the lister.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

Yeah, been keeping an eye on it. Sorry that the fins have already been cut, but all the parts seem to be there. This one does not come around very often at all, so even one like this will be of interest.

The same seller has an original issue Centuri Space Shuttle (early 70s version) with balsa cones before they were replaced with plastic not too long after the kit first came out. Unfortunately, this kit has been opened and started too and one of the balsa cones is missing. I have sealed versions of all varieties of that kit, so it is not of as great an interest.

Oh....and several months ago I was able to get a Firebird from a west coast seller.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-09-2021, 07:57 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Oh....and several months ago I was able to get a Firebird from a west coast seller.

Earl

Open or sealed? Either way, pics?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-09-2021, 08:52 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Open or sealed? Either way, pics?

It was sealed. Only Centuri Firebird kit I have ever seen. VERY hard to find.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Firebird Front_8618.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  1.47 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Firebird Back_8620.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  1.42 MB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-13-2021, 04:36 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Yeah, been keeping an eye on it. Sorry that the fins have already been cut, but all the parts seem to be there. This one does not come around very often at all, so even one like this will be of interest.

The same seller has an original issue Centuri Space Shuttle (early 70s version) with balsa cones before they were replaced with plastic not too long after the kit first came out. Unfortunately, this kit has been opened and started too and one of the balsa cones is missing. I have sealed versions of all varieties of that kit, so it is not of as great an interest.

Earl

Congratulations, Earl, on the Centuri Visible Astro eBay win! It was a pretty big hit to the pocketbook, but, hey, at least you got what you wanted to fill the missing gap in your collection!

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_Visible_Astro.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  166.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_Visible_Astro_parts.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  246.3 KB  
Old 09-13-2021, 04:49 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Congratulations, Earl, on the Centuri Visible Astro eBay win! It was a pretty big hit to the pocketbook, but, hey, at least you got what you wanted to fill the missing gap in your collection!

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

Yeah, that was a monster hit for sure! I kind of flinched to go that high (well, my actual final bid was considerable higher than the final price! ), but after well more than a decade of searching for this kit, I was not going to let this opportunity slip away. I may not live long enough to see another one come up!

I have seen photos of only one other Visible Astro kit, from the collection of another collector. Interesting thing is that, even with as short of production run this kit had (one year), his kit face card is a bit different from this one! So, there are variations, even with this kit!

I suspect this one to be the original face card design, as I can see this one comes with what would have been the early ‘anchor ring’ shock cord attachment method. From the photos of the other collector’s kit, his bag contains the later self-adhesive paper/foil shock cord mount.

Regrettable in this kit that the fins have been cut out, but I have another ‘regular’ Astro 1 kit from this era that contains an uncut fin sheet of this fin style (and yes, the Astro 1 had two slightly different fin platforms over the years).

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-14-2021, 01:18 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

OUCH !
$502.00 for an OPENED kit ?!?!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-14-2021, 06:41 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
OUCH !
$502.00 for an OPENED kit ?!?!

Well, if you read the message just above yours you will see why *I* (not you) would pay that for this Kit. What is that, about half a month’s payment for a new ‘Vette? I wouldn’t buy one of those cars for ANY money, but again that is not my bag.

As mentioned above, this is the first and only time I have been able to even find this kit for sale in ANY condition. Yes, I would have much rather have gotten this in mint, sealed condtion, but one like that, so for, has not presented itself.

And I was only half joking when I said I might not live long enough to even find another for sale somewhere. Best to complete the collection while I can. In the end, my collections will be sold and the funds will go to the church, St Jude’s Children’s Hospital, and the Shriner’s Hospital for Children.

This was the ONLY kit from the 1971 Centuri catalog I did not have. And that includes all the MiniMax kits in that catalog. I have been able to get MULTIPLES of most of the MiniMax kits and that was EASY compared to getting this kit!.

So for me, some of the best rocketry money I have ever spent!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-14-2021, 08:22 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

Impressive. I'd like to see a pic of the whole collection.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper