Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 PM
Craftsman

Default Success with decals!

I finally got some decals sealed that I'm happy with. So I put them on my original Centuri Javelin. The original decals were damaged in a basement flood event some 15 years ago. I did have some paint that lifted when I was masking off the main body tube for the fins. I think it looks pretty good for the first rocket that I've finished in over 15 years..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PXL_20210113_032240561.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  843.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PXL_20210113_021652469.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  1.04 MB  
Old 01-12-2021, 10:28 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuyge
I finally got some decals sealed that I'm happy with. So I put them on my original Centuri Javelin. The original decals were damaged in a basement flood event some 15 years ago. I did have some paint that lifted when I was masking off the main body tube for the fins. I think it looks pretty good for the first rocket that I've finished in over 15 years..

Looks good, Stan!
SAM #0031
Old 01-12-2021, 10:37 PM
Apollo Nut

Stan-

Did you finally wind up going with inkjet printed decals? I seem to recall your last post was heading in that direction.

When you get a chance, post what process you did use, the paper, and your final coating method (I seem to recall a post from you asking about that too).

Looks good!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-12-2021, 11:23 PM
Craftsman

Earl,

I did indeed end up going the inkjet route.

Koala inkjet waterslide decal paper here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Printed on a friend's HP inkjet paper using generic ink refill from Amazon as well.

Two coats of Krylon Crystal Clear for a sealer.

The result when done properly is a nice opaque decal with a glossy finish. If you're a bit heavy handed with the Krylon Crystal Clear, the ink can run a bit when you are sealing the sheet.

I really wanted some Krylon UV resistant clear but was unable to find the gloss version. I accidentally purchased a can of matte. I guess I can use that for a scale model some day.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:46 AM
Senior (Grandpa) Rocketeer

Default Mark II

Is the Mark II in the background up next? Estes or Semroc?
Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I did have some paint that lifted when I was masking off the main body tube for the fins.

Lifting paint is due to poor paint adhesion or too much tape adhesion.
If it's poor paint adhesion, make sure the surface is clean. Oils from your hands and obviously sanding dust can play a part. You can go over it with a scotchbrite pad, wipe it down with alcohol to get the oils off along with the majority of dust, and then take a tack cloth to it before applying your various coats.

If your tape is too sticky, try a different tape. Most of us use 3M or Tamiya. You can also stick the tape down on your palm to pull up some body oil before you put it on the model. That will weaken the adhesion. (Don't do it if you have hairy palms.)

BTW, the decals look good!
Old 01-13-2021, 08:18 AM
rosko_racer

Quote:

That is a great looking Javelin. I am happy for you success in making your own decals. It is a great feeling when your efforts are rewarded in a way yours did. Think of this as a practice round for your next builds. The more you practice the better you get at this. Patience is the key to every step in building and finishing a model. Sometimes if you rush things (too much sanding, too much paint, too much glue) it can be unforgiving and you will end up with a less than optimal looking model. Keep trucking and keep sharing your builds!

V/R,

R_R

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 01-13-2021, 09:42 AM
BP Mafia

Looks great, Stan. I have a Javelin that I'm about to start building in the Jay Goemmer commemorative paint scheme. (Also known as the black nose version. I can't find the picture of young Jay with the rocket.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-13-2021, 10:38 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiBAR
Is the Mark II in the background up next? Estes or Semroc?

The Mark II in the background is next. It's an original Estes kit that got wet and developed some mold. The red streamer stained the body tube and the decals were ruined as well. I treated the nose cone and body tubes with some vinegar and cut some new fins. I wouldn't have bothered with the body tubes, bit I don't have any spare BT-30 around here.

The decals are printed and ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PXL_20210113_163150043.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  770.9 KB  
Old 01-13-2021, 10:46 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Looks great, Stan. I have a Javelin that I'm about to start building in the Jay Goemmer commemorative paint scheme. (Also known as the black nose version. I can't find the picture of young Jay with the rocket.)

Bill,

Are you cloning or building an original? Is this the version that has black for the top portion of the roll pattern as well? I thought I noticed an early version with that paint scheme in one of the early Centuri catalogs.

Stan

Last edited by shuyge : 01-13-2021 at 04:08 PM.