Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2021, 02:38 PM
Model Rocket Fanatic

What a great video! All the complainers should watch it, and then start building.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofireball
What a great video! All the complainers should watch it, and then start building.

I’m taking most of the disgruntled comments with a grain of salt - like my dad says, there’s folks who’d complain if you hung ‘em with a new rope.

The new big Max is probably the way it is due to the reality of bringing the kit to market. If it was a straightforward bring back of the MDRM I doubt Estes could’ve hit the price point they had to in order to actually sell the thing at a profit - especially since there’d be ZERO associated sales of Estes motors to go along with offering a premium model as a loss-leader...not a solid path to maintaining a healthy company.

I’ve said this more than once here, on TRF, FB, etc...there are so many great sources for MPR/HPR kits in the 2-4” range that I don’t get the nostalgia for those mid2010s PSII rockets, especially since you can get a better version of most of them from Tony Vanderbeek at less than (gouging) eBay prices.

No worries though, for some folks the authenticity is worth the cost - if that’s what they want nothing short of it will do.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:43 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
I’m taking most of the disgruntled comments with a grain of salt - like my dad says, there’s folks who’d complain if you hung ‘em with a new rope.

The new big Max is probably the way it is due to the reality of bringing the kit to market. If it was a straightforward bring back of the MDRM I doubt Estes could’ve hit the price point they had to in order to actually sell the thing at a profit - especially since there’d be ZERO associated sales of Estes motors to go along with offering a premium model as a loss-leader...not a solid path to maintaining a healthy company.

I’ve said this more than once here, on TRF, FB, etc...there are so many great sources for MPR/HPR kits in the 2-4” range that I don’t get the nostalgia for those mid2010s PSII rockets, especially since you can get a better version of most of them from Tony Vanderbeek at less than (gouging) eBay prices.

No worries though, for some folks the authenticity is worth the cost - if that’s what they want nothing short of it will do.

Remember, Estes probably sells the kit to hobby distributors for $22-$23 each.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Yes, very nice video! Plus, the explanation about the self stick decals makes sense.

I agree. A friend of mine brought his kit over to my house, and I didn’t notice that the decal outlines are cut. I assumed they were like other peel ‘n’ stick that are one huge sheet and need hand trimming.

I am never too concerned about kit chutes, I hardly ever use them. I did note that the decal would be easy to scan. I may try to do two-color separation in Inkscape, and do a white and a black cut on my Cricut. If that proves too difficult, I may spring for some Stickershock. Mark Hayes’ DRM decals are excellent.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-29-2021, 11:55 AM
The_Ripper

I noticed it was showing in stock at AC Supply last night so I bought two of them!
I thought these were to go to “pre-order” but it showed in stock so I placed the order ... we’ll see. Looking forward to adding this to my collection.

https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo...odel-rocket-kit

Not exactly catching up with Bill E. with my Max collection but I wil have a 5.5” Blue Max (Minnie-Magg), a Vanderburn clone of the 4” diameter OOP Estes kit, and a BT-60 original to build so this 3” diameter will round out my small collection nicely

I haven’t built a Red Max since the 70’s so I’m looking forward to receiving this new release it looks to be an excellent kit. ALL of my kits will be finished with vinyl and I feel that is a welcomed feature for a larger 3” dia. kit like this.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-03-2021, 04:27 PM
Craftsman

A set of twins arrived today from AC Supply!

Placed the order this past Friday, went out Monday, arrived in two days by UPS.

Kind regards,
Jeff
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Dual_Estes_Der_Big_Red_Max_kit_9721_new.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  107.7 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 02-03-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:04 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
A set of twins arrived today from AC Supply!

Placed the order this past Friday, went out Monday, arrived in two days by UPS.

Kind regards,
Jeff
NAR #46879 SR

I'm placing my order on payday. This payday I bought a Semroc Magnum Sprint.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 02-03-2021, 07:48 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
Jeff,

How much was the ups shipping on those?

Dan

Dan,

The UPS shipping was free because my total order was over $100. I also ordered a Saturn V Skylab, in addition to the two Der Big Red Max kits.

AC Supply provides free shipping on any order over $100.

Kind regards,
Jeff
NAR #46879 SR
Old 02-03-2021, 09:48 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I was foolish enough to use USPS free shipping for my last order of motors from AC Supply.
It was about 25 paks of motors. Took over 4 weeks to get to Michigan.
Never again.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-03-2021, 10:07 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
Jeff,

I knew they did the free shipping over $100, but I thought that was for USPS shipping only. I've placed orders with ac supply that were over $100 and they've never shipped it free by any other way than USPS.

Dan

Dan,

Yeah, same here, but this time, they offered 2 day shipping by UPS at no extra charge, so I said, sure! I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't ask why they were using UPS instead of USPS. Perhaps, they offered UPS shipping because maybe they were getting a lot of complaints about delayed shipping times with USPS. All I know is, I'm grateful!

Kind regards,
Jeff
NAR #46879 SR