Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 AM
GET GOONY!!

Well, considering the dicounts on motors that are available from Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, and Michael's, motors can be purchsed at just over a dollar per motor. I know that these are the most common motors, but hey, that is dirt cheap.

Ph

GET GOONY!!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Master Modeler

at my local WM, a package of motors cost $4.97 per three, that comes out to $1.67 per motor.

That's great if you can find the motors that you need, in the case of WM, expect to find A10-3T's, maybe, if your lucky, a package of A8-3's, absolutely NO B's, then, all the C's you want.

The price break down in the catalog for these motors are :

A10-3T $7.69 4 per = $1.92 per motor WM $4.97 = $1.24 savings $ .73 per

A8-3 $7.69 3 per = $2.56 per motor WM $4.97 = $1.66 savings $ .90 per

C6-3
C6-5
C6-7 $8.99 3 per = $3.00 per motor WM $4.97 = $1.66 savings$1.34 per motor
Old 11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

At Michael's with the 50% off coupon you can get the Blast off flight pack for $25.00+tax.
That works out to just over $1 per engine...when you throw in the extra igniters and wadding it is actually below $1/engine.
The only problem with the flight pak is that the amount of wadding included is only enough for about 8 flights on a BT55 or BT60 based rocket, which comprises about 75% of my low-power fleet.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Master Modeler

Checked at two of our nearby Wal-Marts and found this: One has equal supply of A8-3's,
C6-3's, and C6-5's on the shelf, and only one Launchable (Gauchito). The other Wal-Mart
has a few A8-3's and C6-3's and two Launchables on the shelf (Star Dart/Sizzler Combo &
the Heatseeker). Both places also had A10-3T's.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:50 PM
GET GOONY!!

My local WMs are still stocking for the holidays. They have C6-5s and 7s. No starter kits, and a mere handfull of Launchables.

My local Michael's stores on the other hand, have a pretty good selection of engines, including BOFPs. TH 40% off coupon comes in handy here: $7.49 - 40% = $4.49. Divided by three this is is $1.50 per motor. Of course, the BOFP is about $1.00 per.

Ph

GET GOONY!!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:20 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I always use the Michael's 50% coupons for BOFPs and whenever they have the 40% coupons I use those for D12-5's, D12-3's, and C11-3's.
The Michael's in my area also accept JoAnn Craft coupons, so I often pick up two BOFPs for $50 total.
I wish they carried D12-0's, D12-7's, E9-anythings, C6-0's, and B6-6's but they don't.
I usually buy my E9's, D12-0's and C6-0s at Hobby Lobby with their 40-50% off coupons.
Unfortunately I end up paying full retail at hobby shops for D12-7's and B6-6's as they are the only place I can find them.
It really ticks me off that I usually end up paying more for B6-6 engines than I do for D12-5's !
Now if someone would start making the B14's and C5's again I would not squawk about $7.50/pak.
I'd really like to see the old Cox 18mm "baby-D" BP D8-0 and D8-3 make a come back.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I always use the Michael's 50% coupons for BOFPs and whenever they have the 40% coupons I use those for D12-5's, D12-3's, and C11-3's.
The Michael's in my area also accept JoAnn Craft coupons, so I often pick up two BOFPs for $50 total.
I wish they carried D12-0's, D12-7's, E9-anythings, C6-0's, and B6-6's but they don't.
I usually buy my E9's, D12-0's and C6-0s at Hobby Lobby with their 40-50% off coupons.
Unfortunately I end up paying full retail at hobby shops for D12-7's and B6-6's as they are the only place I can find them.
It really ticks me off that I usually end up paying more for B6-6 engines than I do for D12-5's !
Now if someone would start making the B14's and C5's again I would not squawk about $7.50/pak.
I'd really like to see the old Cox 18mm "baby-D" BP D8-0 and D8-3 make a come back.

I did talk to the Estes representative at the Maker Faire last month in Austin about the
B14's and C5's. Was given a hint that something was in the works along that line, but I
won't believe it until I see it.....
Old 11-13-2007, 05:00 AM
Master Modeler

Dave

I don't know who was hinting about motors, but, I had brought that subject up many times when the Estes Forum was running, all the requested motors was requested. I was told that "they" were going to bring back certain motors.

I requested that Estes package the B6-0's in three packs, now, they are available in educatoeer packs only.

I asked for the C5-3's to return as well. As far as the B14's go, I was told in an email from Barry that they would not produce the B14's because it required a secondary operation to drill the core into the motor, and, it was a dangerous operation, and that he would'nt subject his employees to a dangerous situation.

I was also suprises when it was noted that prototypes were being shown as well as new products were being discussed.

When I was doing the Forum, I wanted to reveal the new products, especially the Red Max, and was told flat out "NO", I said that it would be in the best interest of the company, but, go shot down.

If Estes has had a change of heart, it might be because they are listening more than six month after the demise of the Estes Forum.

I'm going to contact management at Estes to find out what is going on.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Master Modeler

That's why it's difficult to be specific on a number of these matters; I use to be in restaurant
management (23 years) and had to be the same way when things were "going down" regarding new products, procedures, personnel changes, etc. Heck, I was caught by surprise, too, when we were involved in mergers/downsizings and I got the pink slip when I
least expected it.

I can say that I did see some prototypes of new stuff coming up that I was impressed with.
The rocket designed for night launches looks really cool, and some of the scale/sport scale
models that came up sounds really great. If these were suppose to have a lid on them, why
did they appear at a large function such as the Maker's Faire?!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Master Modeler

Speaking about night flyers, my "Shhooting Star" rocket was supposed to be a day/night flyer, with the led "stars" in the rocket, two, it would give you the effect of "shooting stars" coming down. But, like I mentioned, when the Forum was taken down, so why my four designs.

And, like I mentioned previously, it is highly unusual for Estes to reveal anthing until the very last moment.

In the case of the Red Max, I wanted to reveal it on the Forum, but, was told NO, then, when the catalog came out, there it was with a couple other new kits that were not supposed to be included in the new 2007 catalog, when I brought that up I was told, "thats OK"? I was told NO, and all of a sudden it's OK ????

Was it John Boren from R&D that you spoke to?