Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Craftsman

Default Avery Self-Adhesive Laminating sheets

Hello all:
Anyone try to use these for laminating your fins as opposed to paper? The consistancy is a little thicker than packing tape and seems to bond well with balsawood. My only concern is when creating fillets, white or yellow glues may not adhere well to such a slick surface (before priming). Take care, Jeff
Old 11-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Master Modeler

Have you tried the Avery full page self adhesive label? I use them on tube wraps and the rare occasion that I laminate fins - stick and cut to the edge of the balsa part.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 11-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Have you tried the Avery full page self adhesive label? I use them on tube wraps and the rare occasion that I laminate fins - stick and cut to the edge of the balsa part.

Sure have! I thought they were a little on the thick side and found them to be a little funky when sealing\final sanding before priming. I had the edges shred\shaved off.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspitza
Hello all:
Anyone try to use these for laminating your fins as opposed to paper? The consistancy is a little thicker than packing tape and seems to bond well with balsawood. My only concern is when creating fillets, white or yellow glues may not adhere well to such a slick surface (before priming). Take care, Jeff

I have used the Office Max equivalent full sheet labels on my Quest Full Betty and Custom M320. I made sure that I glued the edges down so that the labels would not pull up. They sure saved a lot of time sealing and sanding the fins and they did not add that much weight.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Craftsman

Thanks Chrism:
I had much better luck using the house brand over Avery as these were thinner and absorbed the glue better. I think I made a big mistake in buying these laminate labels due to poor glue adhesion. I'll see how the fillets turn out.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Craftsman

I remember someone mentioning that using the sheets actually work well. I might try card stock paper...a bit thicker, but definitely will add more strength!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

I've used OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, and 3M full-sheet labels with good results. The paper does need to be sealed around the edges, however. Use thin CA to wick around the non-root edges, inward to about 1/8 or 3/16 inch. Don't get the CA in the root area, as it will fill the grain and not allow the regular glue (white or yellow aliphatic resins) to 'grab hold' properly.

I like to use a stiff "T-bar" aluminum sanding surface to work the edges with after the CA hardens. Just a few swipes is usually enough. 220-grit paper works well for me...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Craftsman

Thanks guys. Yes, I've found that CA was really hard to sand and stopped using it but this was due to using to fine a grit. I'm unhappy to report that my wonderful fin lamination has peeled right off the blasted fin with a coat of primer and a coat of rustolium paint! This is not the stuff to use and I'll go back to Avery and learn the CA sanding method. BTW the titebond molding trim glue peeled right off the surface too. Uhg. Anyone need 48 sheets of laminate paper
Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspitza
Thanks guys. Yes, I've found that CA was really hard to sand and stopped using it but this was due to using to fine a grit. I'm unhappy to report that my wonderful fin lamination has peeled right off the blasted fin with a coat of primer and a coat of rustolium paint! This is not the stuff to use and I'll go back to Avery and learn the CA sanding method. BTW the titebond molding trim glue peeled right off the surface too. Uhg. Anyone need 48 sheets of laminate paper

I had trouble with self stick labels bubbling up after a beautiful finish was exposed to the sun, so I abandoned it. Recently I've used butcher paper and Elmer's, though I'm sure whatever your favorite white or yellow glue will do just fine.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
I remember someone mentioning that using the sheets actually work well. I might try card stock paper...a bit thicker, but definitely will add more strength!

I've thrown test el chepo rockets onto concrete after paper lamination and it did not even phase the fin. This and the elimination of fin prep. filling, sanding ect is why I'm now a paper convert.