Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I have seen them. I wonder if these are geared towards someone that purchased his first RTF rocket or a starter set and possibly lost the rocket that came with the set? Instant gratification for the "non-builder" that needs to get back out into the field to launch again. Possibly lacks the time or design skills to build his own. Perhaps this is the market Estes is trying to reach?

I sent my youngest grandson a starter set a few years back and built him a rocket. He was seven at the time, and lives far away. He loved them and has become an avid rocketeer, but has never built one rocket. He is almost ten now and has flown every RTF/ARTF rocket that's out there. My son-in-law and daughter are not into it, but do encourage his love of rockets. He is now interested in other aerospace topics, too, BTW. Anyway, these RTF/ARTF packets are all they buy him. After the launch pad gave way, they simply bought another starter set, the Snapshot. I sent him a basic builder kit, the Quest Big Rage in the second batch of rockets and encouraged them to help him get started with it. It's probably the closest thing to a starting build rocket as any others around. My understanding is that it still sits uncompleted. He really doesn't have any incentive to build one as long as Mom and Dad will buy him the RTF/ARTF rockets. I think they actually discourage any thoughts he might have for building the rockets.
James