Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Default Astron Scout

Well, since Carl mentioned this earlier tonight regarding parts for the Astron Scout:

"We should have all the parts before too much longer. It is a very high priority."

...I figure I'll get in line. Put me on the numbered kit list if you would please, Carl. I can't make it out east to NARAM, but I'd still like a numbered kit for my Semroc collection. Thank you!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Well, since Carl mentioned this earlier tonight regarding parts for the Astron Scout:

"We should have all the parts before too much longer. It is a very high priority."

...I figure I'll get in line. Put me on the numbered kit list if you would please, Carl. I can't make it out east to NARAM, but I'd still like a numbered kit for my Semroc collection. Thank you!

Same here, Carl - put me down for a couple or 3 kits.

Sean
Old 12-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Master Modeler

Me too; to replace my original I lost in January 2004 just as I was getting back into the
hobby (after 22+ years!).

Flown on a C6-7, the model simply disappeared into the sky and was never seen again .
Despite my searching the area in detail, all was in vain....

Pic below from a copy of a slide taken in 1970; you can see my Astron Scout on the second
level (between the Mars Lander & semi-scale Saturn - V. My Astron Scout had black nose
cone & fins and yellow body tube). How many other classics can you see?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  img437.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  58.8 KB  
Old 12-29-2007, 01:01 AM
7/21/61

Dave,

Can you please tell us about the launch pad. It looks similar to the ones shown in the original Handbook of Model Rocketry.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Dave,

Can you please tell us about the launch pad. It looks similar to the ones shown in the original Handbook of Model Rocketry.

Hi Gus!

That launch pad came from my Dad's old wooden sawhorse; he was pretty much into doing
woodwork back in those days and almost always had a sawhorse or two around the garage.
I asked if I could have one to build a multi-pad. Sometimes after this picture was taken, I'd
painted it light grey and applied a large "Estes" logo (had the Estes name in the middle enclosed in a horizontal/oval circle) on the middle of the top support truss. The launch rods
were simply "fixed" in an 1/8" diameter drilled holes; there was no provision for tilting or
aiming.

Below is a picture where you can see a little of what I'm talking about. It's a group of us, a
small club we'd formed in 1971 with some boys I'd corresponded via snail mail in Leesville,
LA (I lived in Natchitoches, LA about 60 miles distance). That's me holding my Estes K-36
Saturn - V I had at the time; you can see the launcher behind the boys kneeling. I'd added
some of the (now) famous Estes stickers to it . The "Estes" logo is barely visible behind
the head of the blond kid in the middle. Wow, those were really fun days to be flying model
rockets!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  img438.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  63.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  img441.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  78.1 KB