Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to CQBArms Send a message via MSN to CQBArms Send a message via Yahoo to CQBArms
Default October Sky Kits

I know licensing is expensive and all but I think a cool set of kits would be an October Sky series. Basically scaling them to standard body tubes as well using hobby materials (cardboard tubes, balsa etc) and modern mfg techniques.

Also it would be sort of cool to get a cross promotion on the Astronaut Farmer movie.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:36 PM
The_Ripper

I really liked the model with the aluminum nozzle. I'm not sure if you were involved with the hobby at the time but Ky Michaelson "Rocketman" built the flying rockets that were used in the movie October Sky and has a 4" dia. HPR version of it for sale called "The Rocket Boy".

http://www.the-rocketman.com/store/...it_rockboy.html

His kits use PML parts and his own exclusive parachutes for recovery.

I agree that a smaller scale model rocket version of this would be very cool indeed. I'm partial to the SLS kits so my vote would be large enough to see the details of the model but light enough to fly on smaller motors.

I'm not sure how licensing would apply so please excuse my ignorance but would the motion picture company have the rights to this even if Ky Michaelson designed and built them to use in the movie?

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-14-2007, 09:45 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I really liked the model with the aluminum nozzle. I'm not sure if you were involved with the hobby at the time but Ky Michaelson "Rocketman" built the flying rockets that were used in the movie October Sky and has a 4" dia. HPR version of it for sale called "The Rocket Boy".

I agree that a smaller scale model rocket version of this would be very cool indeed. I'm partial to the SLS kits so my vote would be large enough to see the details of the model but light enough to fly on smaller motors.

I'm not sure how licensing would apply so please excuse my ignorance but would the motion picture company have the rights to this even if Ky Michaelson designed and built them to use in the movie?

It's more in the name of the movie than in the design of the rocket, although I'm sure the studio lawyers would clear their throats loudly in someone's ear if they tried to capitalize even on that without pitching a few pennies their way...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to CQBArms Send a message via MSN to CQBArms Send a message via Yahoo to CQBArms

The movies own the designs in total. When I design a "future weapon" for a movie, it is very specifically spelled out that the actual models, prototypes, designs, molds, plans, images, and spare parts are the property of the movie company (or FX company) exclusively.

Now some stuff I still own as the quote was too high for them so they might just contract designs and "rent" the models..so it depends.

In this case, maybe Ky owns all the models and plans, maybe the movie company does...but to the end of Using October Sky in the selling lit of the rockets, that would be all licensing.

I agree the SLS would be kick butt for this type of model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin