Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2015, 10:49 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Very cool indeed, to be a part of that. I'm a few years older than Jerry, so this is a part of the hobby that I completely missed. In the late 60s, cars and girls got 100% of my attention -- and the little cash I could scrape together. I recall seeing FSI F100s in a hobby store in the late 70s and that got me interested again, but I had no idea G motors (or larger) were in development, or existence.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

California was ground zero for aerospace and space, so whenever motors would show up from amateur rocketeers trying to lean into the consumer rocket market, we would lean into reminding them of the motor standards adopted by NAR to allow for a great safety record. Companies that started around there include:

Internal Ballistics
Composite Dynamics #1 (Hoffman)
Composite Dynamics #2 (Davis) *
Aerotech *
U.S. Rockets *
Composite Distribution
Bartlett
MPC *
Cox *
Plasmajet *
Crown (WA) *
Small Sounding Rocket Systems (WA)
ACS-Reaction Labs (KY) *
Ace *
California Model Rockets
Hypertek (Smalley)
Hypertek (Kline) *
Powertech *
Dynamic Propellant Tech
APS
. . .

* Eventually had certified motors.

Of course CA chased them all away too with excessive regulations.

NAR was hostile to larger motors than F until about 1986. TRA while they allowed larger motors around then and a bit later, were hostile to rules, and welcoming all vendors. They tended to try to take over clubs like the BORG and declare "fortunate sons" in particular vendors, and when that flipped it was without notice or cause.

As such at least 6 major motor vendors willing and able (ACS, USR, PT, Vulcan, Plasmajet, DPT, others) were killed from the consumer HPR market. The top-down control metric also reduced HPR participation from 20,000 in 1990 to a low of 1500 around 1998 and now back up to about 5000 in 2015, albeit with an iron fist as to who gets to play. The current system is evil (maliciously drafted) IMHO.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-16-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

DPS? What did it stand for? DPS of the 90's and beyond was Jim Mitchell in my hometown.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ
Default Mike Smalley and David Griffith 2 stage Zn-S!

Mike Smalley and David Griffith 2 stage Zn-S coming soon to this space.

Have to work today. Pause . . .

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-15-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
DPS? What did it stand for? DPS of the 90's and beyond was Jim Mitchell in my hometown.

Wasn't it Dynamic Propulsion Systems? Had their own casings and propellant, IIRC.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Wasn't it Dynamic Propulsion Systems? Had their own casings and propellant, IIRC.

Yes but it was a "He", not a "they". DPS was a solo project for years, but Thompson came into the picture when he started doing propellant classes. Jim got me into EX. We burned a lot of AP together in the field and on the test stand. He taught Terry McCreary how to make propellant. Terry is a Chemistry professor and textbook editor, so he wrote a book about it.

Jerry, I don't see why you won't clarify the DPS versions you are familiar with. I'm the only person here that's intimately familiar with the TN version of DPS and I'm not going to create a bruhaha.

Dunkel had a short lived partnership with Ron Urinsco. That was APS, not DPS. I don't think it ended well, but I don't remember the details.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Now I have a treat for YORF. Actual photos of an Enerjet 2250 in flight with 3 FSI F100-10. Circa 1970.

Historical Jerry

Excellent post Jerry! Great in flight shot too.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
I have a special treat for you guys. CRS (NAR Section #193 Polaris) held a sanctioned NAR Open launch where several notables attended including Gary Rosenfield who submitted this Enerjet 2650 (uprated to two stage) you will recognize from drawings he has sold for decades. He submitted the drawings and the rocket itself as his scale data for his sub-scale model of the same rocket.

Here Vince Palmire displays the historical artifact with a quite serious gaze. The location is Claremont High School adjacent to Cahuilla Park in Claremont. In the background of that photo is a building called Taylor Hall. Circa 1970.

Jerry

Very cool picture. I never did see a picture the rocket itself, only the uprated 2650 drawings. I attempted a shot at building one from the drawings and although I got a good bit of it right, I used a LOC nose cone and that was way off now seeing a picture of the real rocket. Wish now I would have used the 2.7" USR airframe tubing instead of the thin wall LOC stuff as I suffered damage on the first flight and had to rebuild the upper section post flight.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...284&postcount=1

How exciting that you and your friends were able to build and fly these EnerJet sounding rockets and have this experience first hand. That is truly something to be proud of and reflect on.

Thanks for documenting this valuable information. As others have already expressed in this thread, this information that you posted is very much appreciated!

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
California was ground zero for aerospace and space, <snip> Companies that started around there include:

Dynamic Propulsion

Dynamic Propulsion Systems was started in Tennessee about 3 miles from my house, which is no where near California. I was at ground zero for DPS. Jim has never been any farther west than Argonia.

Unless there was a different DPS, which you aren't clarifying, you need to remove DPS from your California list.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

Looks like he's still around...

http://www.manta.com/c/mm4d02s/dyna...pulsion-systems