Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2020, 03:01 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Total Rocket Weight: 3.1 ounce

Just weighed the completed Honest John: Weighs 3.1 ounces.

Will a C-sized engine lift this much weight?

The shorter 30" version will be considerably less.

AS a BAR from the 1960's Estes rocket in the back of Boys Life Magazine, and then again in the 1980's when my kids were growing up, not sure about rocket engine sizes to lift this.

Been doing Stomp Rockets for quite a few years now, this is my first try at powering with the Estes style engines.

Need help making sure that these are designed and matched to the correct size engines...
Old 07-12-2020, 03:04 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
This is my first attempt at converting a stomp rocket to an Estes size C engine.

I've printed one and plan to post photos as I build it.

PDF file attached for the rocket, be sure to print at 100% or full size to get it to fit properly. You can substitute a BT-50 tube for the internal cardstock tube; remember to mark for the former bulkhead locations. Use Index 110 lb [198.9 gsm] cardstock only!

Honest John is painted in 4th of July colors. Didn't think of this until late in the day on the 4th.

Just save the PDF to your computer. Rocket when built will be 30" tall. Will need to use 3/32" basswood for the stabilizer fin pattern provided.

PDF conversion from AutoCAD to PDF changed color of Red And Blue, they should be darker...I'll work on that.

Mike

I always skin my fins. I used a single balsa fin, instead of 3 as per Estes design on BT-60 HJ. Worked and looks great.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:07 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default C Engine

Quote:
Just weighed the completed Honest John: Weighs 3.1 ounces.

Will a C-sized engine lift this much weight?

The shorter 30" version will be considerably less.

AS a BAR from the 1960's Estes rocket in the back of Boys Life Magazine, and then again in the 1980's when my kids were growing up, not sure about rocket engine sizes to lift this.

Been doing Stomp Rockets for quite a few years now, this is my first try at powering with the Estes style engines.

Need help making sure that these are designed and matched to the correct size engines...

Look to the 60s-70 Estes catalog engine chart ( yellow pages) to check engine lift off weight. But yes a 3 second delay will work fine ( C6-3).....
Old 07-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Cutting the Bulkheads

The bulkheads are double laminated. Notice I cut these out as one piece. Down the center is dashed fold line, great chance to use the empressor/embosser/knife back to get an accurate fold.

Once again I used the 3M Super 77 spray glue on the shortest piece and then folded them before cutting them out. Saves time and is more accurate than cutting each bulkhead as a single than trying to match glue them together.

Ok, time to change up a little. Realized I have some drawings that might help better explain how I do things, using techniques that might help others. Going to start using them.

Photos below show using 3M Super 77 to laminate, how to use the mentioned butter knife and other techniques. Last phot will be the bulkheads for this project. Adding a new laminating view for the last photo, technique if using school glue to laminate is all..

I use different cutting tools all the time as follows:
1) Inside circle cuts = hobby knife
2) Outside cuts or Arcs = Scissors
3) Long Straight cuts = Ruler and rotary cutter
4) Any hard to get at cuts = Hobby Knife
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  3M Super 77 Laminate.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  46.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scoring Fold Lines.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  62.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Single Page.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  231.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0818.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  296.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Laminating Freehand Cutting.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  59.9 KB  

Last edited by mbauer : 07-12-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:44 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Look to the 60s-70 Estes catalog engine chart ( yellow pages) to check engine lift off weight. But yes a 3 second delay will work fine ( C6-3).....

Once again Thank You for your Help with my questions.

Awesome!

Mike
Old 07-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Gluing the Tubes

This post is how I glue the Rocket Body shell and inner support tube:

Once again using my Instruction Sheet detail drawing to show my method. By using the double sided tape as rings around the PVC pipe or wood dowel (Square dowel works best because you can draw a center line to line edge of cardstock too, ensuring a straight glue job, not twisted.

The double sided tape rings need to wrap all the way around or you will pull them up when removing the tube after gluing. once I have the initial connection glued, I pop the shell off of the double tape and then immediately use a smooth piece of PVC tubing to finalize the gluing by pressing extremely hard on the glue seam.

Doing it this way allows for easier removal from the tape.

When removing from the tape you will need to roll the cardstock tube back and forth with a lifting action to pop it loose without tearing the cardstock, yes, I 've had them de-laminate if left on the tape for too long...

In the last photo, the shell has been removed from a length of 3/8" square wood dowel with the tape rings. It is now photo'd after applying the extreme pressure to seal the connection. Used a chair arm and my hobby desk. The hobby desk was made for me by my son when he was about 10-years old from a kit. He is 37-now. He stained it and actually put the legs on backwards.

Once he gave it to me, we fixed a couple of things, but what a present! Almost tempte to change the legs back to the original way he made it. A little un-balanced; still works though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0825.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  261.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rolling Gluing Tubes.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  57.2 KB  
Old 07-12-2020, 04:04 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Fins

Quote:
This post is how I glue the Rocket Body shell and inner support tube:

Once again using my Instruction Sheet detail drawing to show my method. By using the double sided tape as rings around the PVC pipe or wood dowel (Square dowel works best because you can draw a center line to line edge of cardstock too, ensuring a straight glue job, not twisted.

The double sided tape rings need to wrap all the way around or you will pull them up when removing the tube after gluing. once I have the initial connection glued, I pop the shell off of the double tape and then immediately use a smooth piece of PVC tubing to finalize the gluing by pressing extremely hard on the glue seam.

Doing it this way allows for easier removal from the tape.

When removing from the tape you will need to roll the cardstock tube back and forth with a lifting action to pop it loose without tearing the cardstock, yes, I 've had them de-laminate if left on the tape for too long...

In the last photo, the shell has been removed from a length of 3/8" square wood dowel with the tape rings. It is now photo'd after applying the extreme pressure to seal the connection. Used a chair arm and my hobby desk. The hobby desk was made for me by my son when he was about 10-years old from a kit. He is 37-now. He stained it and actually put the legs on backwards.

Once he gave it to me, we fixed a couple of things, but what a present! Almost tempte to change the legs back to the original way he made it. A little un-balanced; still works though.

I totally understand your technique here. It’s great. I’m old school. When I’m able, I enjoy sanding. So, I simply cut out skins from old yellow Manila filing paper stock. Then I use carpenter’s wood glue and brush it heavily onto the fins. Add card stock. Done, except sanding the edges round. I don’t do true scale anymore, for health reasons,,, , I mean the accurate air foils. The fins are super strong, too. I have the spray,, I just enjoy my old way....

Last edited by dannymrmissile : 07-12-2020 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-12-2020, 04:07 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Gluing Bulkheads to Inner Support Tube (BT-50)

Here are two photos showing the process of gluing the bulkheads to the inner support tube. You can use the standard size BT-50 tube instead of the cardstock if you prefer.

The bottom bulkheads will help support the stabilizer fins.

Actually made an incredibly strong joint when the fins were glued into place!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0827.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  287.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0828.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  301.7 KB  
Old 07-12-2020, 04:08 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Yup

Quote:
Here are two photos showing the process of gluing the bulkheads to the inner support tube. You can use the standard size BT-50 tube instead of the cardstock if you prefer.

The bottom bulkheads will help support the stabilizer fins.

Actually made an incredibly strong joint when the fins were glued into place!

Yup,,, I do that too....
Old 07-12-2020, 04:17 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Cutting Rocket Body Fin Openings

Just about jumped ahead, by posting the next post.

For this one I cut the openings for the stabilizer fins. Once I cut the length, the next step was to very carefully cut the bulkheads to let the balsa glue tabs on the fins fit inside.

This step is best done with a brand new blade in the knife, or stropping the blade on some leather or 1000 grit sand paper to sharpen.

Note:

All fins and locations have been marked to verify correct placement of fins. Will add these markings to the updated rocket PDF when this is done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT0834.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  279.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT0840.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  264.5 KB