Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Nike Vet

OK, here's a sample of the finished fins. I ended up slightly rounding the surfaces, fin center to tapering towards the edges. Can you suggest a good primer and finish paint? Where is a source of gloss OD or OG paint? Where can I get the stuff that gives a flat luster after attaching decals? I checked Wallace*World and cannot find it there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01145.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  132.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01144.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  149.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01143.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  113.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01142.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  106.8 KB  
Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke1312
OK, here's a sample of the finished fins. I ended up slightly rounding the surfaces, fin center to tapering towards the edges. Can you suggest a good primer and finish paint? Where is a source of gloss OD or OG paint? Where can I get the stuff that gives a flat luster after attaching decals? I checked Wallace*World and cannot find it there.

I left my prototype fins unpainted with just the cardstock covering.

Paint the boosters first before you glue on the fins. Carefully scrape the paint off the boosters where the fins attach or leave it unpainted to begin with.

I point out in the instructions to paint the booster tubes olive green "gloss" and the rest of the model (transition on up gloss white. Then after the decals are applied give the entire model a coat of Testors "Dullcote" flat spray.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 06-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Nike Vet

I plan not to paint the fins. I can't find a good olive drab paint for the booster which I'll paint before attaching the fins. I think I''ll use a green paint from W*M but have also considered using black in place of the OD. Oh, on the transition I plan to add a thin film of diluted wood filler, the kind that's easy to sand. Should I cover the whole transition with the filler, then sand?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I plan not to paint the fins. I can't find a good olive drab paint for the booster which I'll paint before attaching the fins. I think I''ll use a green paint from W*M but have also considered using black in place of the OD. Oh, on the transition I plan to add a thin film of diluted wood filler, the kind that's easy to sand. Should I cover the whole transition with the filler, then sand?

Oh, please don't paint the boosters black!

I've never seen that paint scheme in an operational missile.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Mildly Insane

While it isn't OD, WalMart sells a green camo paint that can pass for OD.(its lighter, but at least a flat green) It'd look much better then black I think.

-Aaron
Old 06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Master Modeler

Rustoleum makes an Army Green gloss. Takes a while to dry between coats, but it is gloss, and in the right ballpark as far as color. Krylon Italian Olive comes in a satin finish which will take decals ok.... Never used the green satin, but have used the white satin before, and the decals came out well. Anything but flat, unless you spray with a clear gloss before decaling, then seal with a dullcoat. I'm with sandman, not black.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Mildly Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
Anything but flat, unless you spray with a clear gloss before decaling, then seal with a dullcoat.

Sorry, when I recommended the flat green camo in my post, I forgot to mention that I always put a coat of clear gloss on before I apply decals and so it would require the same.

-Aaron
Old 06-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:

Got mine from hobby lobby at the model section....labeled Model Master FS 34087 Olive Drab. It's only a 3 oz can though.

Last edited by barone : 06-26-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Kit alert!

I found another mistake!!!

Check the length on the sustainer tube. It should be 8.25" long not 8".

Let me know by PM if you need a longer BT-70 body tube and send me your address. I'll ship one right out to you.

I'm really sorry for the inconvienience guys.

BTW the rest of the parts came in so I should be able to start shipping kits next week!

Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Nike Vet

I have the 8.25". Thanks Sandman!