Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2020, 06:05 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I should have my batch oc those Alvin #24 blades tomorrow.
I'll let you know my opinion once I have them.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 PM

I knew the #99 three-panel set was referred to as the #89. It seems to me the set became the #99 when the Soldering Iron and Battery powered drill were added.
I can't recall what the #89 set was called then but it had considerably less content.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I knew the #99 three-panel set was referred to as the #89. It seems to me the set became the #99 when the Soldering Iron and Battery powered drill were added.
I can't recall what the #89 set was called then but it had considerably less content.

Yeah, as one looks through and compares catalogs, say from those early 50s ones to the 69 catalog, one can see that a given set number (for some of the sets) changed contents a fair amount and even the type of wooden case. But, one would not expect each set to stay the same forever certainly, and that changes, additions, and subtractions would occur over time.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-26-2020, 11:24 PM

I'd like to pick up that Trix #86 set, but honestly I would be only buying it for that unique handle.
The past few months I have been far exceeding my normal hobby budget hoarding Xacto sets and vintage rocket kits. Gotta slow down a bit.
I have been getting some real bargains on vintage kits though.
Very recently I picked up a Space Transporter America for only $75, a 1/100 Little Joe II for a measley $36 (often go for $100), an original Astron Scrambler for $80, and a Nike-Arrow for $15.
I think if I don't slow down a bit, my better half is going to whack me in the head with a boat oar.
She was not too thrilled with the arrival of a second #89 set until I told her what a bargain it was. I now have 11 complete Xacto sets from a lowly #83, a flat-top 84, several #86 sets, one of which is a really old "angle top" set., an 87, a Minaturists set (think it's a #92), and the two #89s.
All are "enhanced" with extra handles and blades. I have enough rocket kits, vintage RC aircraft kits/supplies, vintage Futaba gear, vintage OS and Cox engines (including a prized Conquest . 15), Xacto tools, Vintage fuel, and Vintage Aero Gloss dope to open a circa 1980 hobby SHOP.
All mostly stuff I wanted as a kid but could not afford. My parents did keep me well stocked with hobby supplies though. I had a RC and rocket collection of models and engines that was the envy of all my hobby buddies when I was a kid, but not the "hog wild" amount I have now.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:52 PM

300 Alvin #24 style blades arrived today.
The cutting area and shape angle is exactly the same as an Xacto #24.
Now for the differences: the overall blade non-cutting length is shorter than an Xacto #24 as can be seen in the attached pic.
Also, the metal appears to be the same material but is just slightly thinner in metal gauge.
The blades are slightly less sharp than a new #24 Xacto. 3-4 passes on each side with a hard stone and they are as sharp.
Totally satisfied and will never need another purchase of #24 blades in my lifetime.
Incidentally, I never knew Alvin made blades; knew they made drafting tools and that's it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20201027_144241593.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  1.41 MB  

Old 10-27-2020, 06:54 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
300 Alvin #24 style blades arrived today.
The cutting area and shape angle is exactly the same as an Xacto #24.
Now for the differences: the overall blade non-cutting length is shorter than an Xacto #24 as can be seen in the attached pic.
Also, the metal appears to be the same material but is just slightly thinner in metal gauge.
The blades are slightly less sharp than a new #24 Xacto. 3-4 passes on each side with a hard stone and they are as sharp.
Totally satisfied and will never need another purchase of #24 blades in my lifetime.
Incidentally, I never knew Alvin made blades; knew they made drafting tools and that's it.

Thanks for the feedback on the blades. I went ahead and got the set of three he put up for me. Like you, those should last me a couple lifetimes. I got a bulk pack of Xacto #11 blades a while back, which is probably the blade I use the most. So, I should be good on blades forever.

My primary collection interest in the Xacto line are those carried in the Centuri catalogs, in particular the 1971 catalog. They carried the #82 and the #86 sets and I have gotten two of each of those sets, so I am covered in those now. They also carried the individual 1, 2, and 5 knife handles as well as blades for those and I have gotten standalones of each of those, to match what Centuri carried. Centuri also had that two-knife Grifhold set in a clear plastic case and I *finally* snagged one of those sets here about two months ago, so that one is off the list.

The last Xacto ‘thing’ I am working on is getting the Xacto tools that went into that custom vinyl tool set that Centuri sold from 69 until about 77 or 78. That set held a #1 and #5 knife handles, an Xacto 2” sander, a 3/4” razor saw blade, a pack of #11 blades and a six inch metal Centuri logoed ruler. I have gotten all the Xacto tools to go in that set, but I do not have the Centuri metal ruler nor the Centuri logoed vinyl case to put them in. Never have even seen a photo of that tool set ‘in the wild’ so to speak, but I’m sure Centuri had to have sold a number of them over the years.

So, I am very close to getting the Xacto branded tools I was looking for. One of the more challenging parts has been trying to better date the various vintage Xacto tools out there to see if they match up with the late 60s to early 70s timeframe I am looking for, hence my continual search for the vintage Xacto catalogs. I wish at this point I could find more of them in the early 1970s range.

It has however been fun to learn more of the details about these tools, beyond the just casual knowledge I had in the past.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 10-28-2020, 11:09 AM

You may have a difficult time finding that Centuri Ruler and Centuri Vinyl Pouch unless you go right to the source.
If you want them, I would try to contact Lee Piester directly.
He owns Hobby Bench hobby shops throughout the Phoenix area.
I know he has built/donated rockets recently.
He may be able to point you where to find one of each.

The #24 blade is my Third most commonly used blade, in the #6 Handle.
First is the Xacto #2 Blade in a #6 handle.
Second is the #11 blade in a #1 or #3 handle.
Fourth and very close to third place is the #25 Large shallow curved blade in, needless to say, a #6 Handle.
My #5 Handles are usually stored with a #24 or #19 blade. They are sometimes grabbed to open boxes/packages, but are almost never used for hobby projects unless fitted with a Razor Saw blade. I find the #6 far superior to cutting fins etc compared to the #5.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:07 PM

I added a bunch of goodies to the recent #89 set I got off ebay.
It was missing the #2 handle. I added that, along with a "type 3 big honker" #6 handle, a #9RX handle, a Balsa Stripper, a Spoke Shave, a bulk pak of those #24 Alvin blades, and a magnetic strip to hold several other knife blades.
It has one item the #89 from Sue does not have. An Xacto Mitre Box to use with the razor saws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_20201028_145958305.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  1.92 MB  

Old 10-28-2020, 09:11 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Here is the listing for some third party blades (Alvin) that have a similar overall shape to the Xacto #24 blades, but these may be somewhat smaller. I had the seller add the two photos showing a blade beside a ruler.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2745311355...e&ul_noapp=true

Earl

Well, I was going to post a link to yet another set of three boxes of these blades listed by this same seller, but when I clicked on the listing to copy the link to add to THIS message, the blades had already sold...just moments after the seller had listed them! So, apparently these things are starting to move fast.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 10-28-2020, 10:47 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Well, I was going to post a link to yet another set of three boxes of these blades listed by this same seller, but when I clicked on the listing to copy the link to add to THIS message, the blades had already sold...just moments after the seller had listed them! So, apparently these things are starting to move fast.

Earl
My “Big Honker” #6 made me do it ... Guilty as charged

Sorry I haven’t been around much I have been dodging these nasty things ...
Category 2 Hurricane Zeta was a very near miss thankfully I am in Hammond on the west side of the storm (the good side). For the seventh time this year, New Orleans was in the path of a tropical system.

I’ll try to get on again this weekend after my next surgery Friday morning. Lots of cool new stuff on YORF to explore!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  BFCD87EB-FB70-4BF1-82CF-1CC4D646F594.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  853.0 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates