Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2020, 07:02 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Both the Egg Crate and Scrambler were clearanced for $20 not that long ago. I should have ordered when I saw them. They were both gone the next time I looked.
Story of my life Lee. I wanted the Egg Crate when Carl had it as a new release during NARAM-55 and I passed on it. After that it was back ordered for a while and I never did remember to try again to get one. After seeing GH and Bill post about it here that renewed my interest in the kit and this afternoon I did find a seller in Canada that had one so I finally bought an Egg Crate today. Looks like GH found one too with Bernard. The other kit that I procrastinated on buying around that same release time was the Centurion-F but Randy really helped me to procure all the parts for that one so I have a parts kit boxed up now for a future build. I am thinking of converting the Centurion-F to a payloader and ordering a SEM-CR-18P to convert it.

Lesson learned if it’s available and I really want it, I’ll buy it soon. Being out of the loop for a few years certainly didn’t help and I always took for granted that these kits would be available later if I wanted them but now I’m scrambling to grab a few kits that I passed on or like the Centurion-F just buying all the required parts & decals needed for a future build.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Apollo Nut

The Centuri Egg Crate, as introduced in their 1971 catalog (my first rocket catalog), intrigued me as an eight year old and I always wanted one. Alas, by the time I was actually able to start buying and flying model rockets five years later, the original Egg Crate was long gone.

But, it was one of the early vintage Centuri kits I was able to get, probably around 2007 or so. And, with the help of another collector around that time, I was able to get all the vintage parts, including the original printed fin sheets, to build a complete Egg Crate.

Later, I did get one of the Semroc ones and have opened it, but have not yet started on it. It is a classic design though, and with the removable motor mounts (like on the original), you can fly it with one, two, or three engine cluster.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-10-2020, 07:38 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Both the Egg Crate and Scrambler were clearanced for $20 not that long ago. I should have ordered when I saw them. They were both gone the next time I looked.

I was so fortunate to get one when It was clearanced, and to get a Semroc Scrambler and an Original Estes Scramber from Sandman.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:44 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I secured one through Bernard.
Thanks to all that replied.

I have a NIB Semroc Scrambler along with two original Astron Scrambler kits, both minty.
The Scrambler is one of my all-time Estes favorites. Once launched one on a 3xB14-5 combination. That's equivalent to a 3/4 D42.
Talk about warp-speed LPR liftoff....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-11-2020, 04:59 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The Centuri Egg Crate, as introduced in their 1971 catalog (my first rocket catalog), intrigued me as an eight year old and I always wanted one. Alas, by the time I was actually able to start buying and flying model rockets five years later, the original Egg Crate was long gone.

But, it was one of the early vintage Centuri kits I was able to get, probably around 2007 or so. And, with the help of another collector around that time, I was able to get all the vintage parts, including the original printed fin sheets, to build a complete Egg Crate.

Later, I did get one of the Semroc ones and have opened it, but have not yet started on it. It is a classic design though, and with the removable motor mounts (like on the original), you can fly it with one, two, or three engine cluster.

Earl
Pretty cool that you were able to get one of the early vintage Centuri kits with the paper transition. Since the KC-11 was available for such a short time I'd say it's a pretty rare acquisition ... you should be stoked to have that in your collection!
I *think* the Semroc kit is either a single 24mm engine or dual 18mm engines.

I looked over the Semroc .pdf the other night and I can see from the exploded view how it works and I should have the parts here to make the extra three engine cluster mount.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 09-11-2020, 06:54 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Pretty cool that you were able to get one of the early vintage Centuri kits with the paper transition. Since the KC-11 was available for such a short time I'd say it's a pretty rare acquisition ... you should be stoked to have that in your collection!
I *think* the Semroc kit is either a single 24mm engine or dual 18mm engines.

I looked over the Semroc .pdf the other night and I can see from the exploded view how it works and I should have the parts here to make the extra three engine cluster mount.

Yeah, that paper transition arrangement for that kit makes for a bit of a complicated section on that payload base. I guess Centuri did not want to develop and produce a balsa reducer for that kit, so they went the paper route. Mine came out ok, but you gotta be careful in gluing it together and how it all aligns with the main body tube or one could have a wonky looking taper. In that regards, the Semroc version with the balsa adapter is a more elegant application, even if it is not totally in keeping with the Centuri original.

The one difference I did make on mine is I cut the payload tube down to four inches instead of the five inch length. The stock length for that tube is five inches, and in fact, that is the tube length included in the original Centuri kit. HOWEVER, compared to the Eggcrate images in the Centuri catalog for the one year it was carried and even the package art, the five inch length just does not look right. The four inch length does look right and looks in keeping especially with the image of the Eggcrate in the grass around Lee on the inside back cover of the 1971 Centuri catalog.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-11-2020, 07:49 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yeah, that paper transition arrangement for that kit makes for a bit of a complicated section on that payload base. I guess Centuri did not want to develop and produce a balsa reducer for that kit, so they went the paper route. Mine came out ok, but you gotta be careful in gluing it together and how it all aligns with the main body tube or one could have a wonky looking taper. In that regards, the Semroc version with the balsa adapter is a more elegant application, even if it is not totally in keeping with the Centuri original.

The one difference I did make on mine is I cut the payload tube down to four inches instead of the five inch length. The stock length for that tube is five inches, and in fact, that is the tube length included in the original Centuri kit. HOWEVER, compared to the Eggcrate images in the Centuri catalog for the one year it was carried and even the package art, the five inch length just does not look right. The four inch length does look right and looks in keeping especially with the image of the Eggcrate in the grass around Lee on the inside back cover of the 1971 Centuri catalog.

Earl
i think I see what you are referring to with the payload tube now. The cropped picture from the back of the catalog is small sorry to say I don’t have an original catalog. I will say I like that easy peezy yellow and black with what looks like Narrow chrome bands on the payload section on that model ... I may consider that for my lazy mans paint job when I get to finish mine
I’ve had about all the 3M masking and painting this month to last me a while ... I tire easily it seems

I have plans to build two complete payload sections for mine. One 4” (thanks to your observation) and one longer to more resemble the EnerJet 1340/20. I can’t claim originality for that because I got the idea from a finished model that I saw the other night on EMRR here:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/semroc-egg20craterkt.html

I will add an EnerJet decal to the longer section on one side and something else really cool to the other side. I can envision it ... I think that would great to have two payload sections & I actually have a sheet of EnerJet decals printed in white from Excelsior from years ago and some extra ST20 here. I just need the extra balsa reducer and cone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  8B16364D-4D3C-427C-8E08-8EB737E858D5.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  69.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  3F571B6C-ED27-4BE9-8473-4FAC264BB19F.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  76.2 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 09-11-2020, 08:53 PM
Apollo Nut

Steve-

I thought there was a similar Eggcrate thread in the past... See the link below, in particular post #49 which shows a finished photo of my Eggcrate. This is from spring of 2014. I was out on temporary disability for what would turn into back surgery at that time.

As you can see, I too went with the black and yellow paint job, with the chrome bands. I went with matte for the black because I always thought in the catalog photo where the hand is holding the nosecone off the payload section that the paint looked flat or matte to me.

Link: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...hlight=Eggcrate

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-12-2020, 01:56 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Story of my life Lee. I wanted the Egg Crate when Carl had it as a new release during NARAM-55 and I passed on it.

Lesson learned if it’s available and I really want it, I’ll buy it soon.

That philosophy is the reason I have over 175 kits and tons of parts!

I suppose its not really an issue, provided I can live into my 90s.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-12-2020, 05:14 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
That philosophy is the reason I have over 175 kits and tons of parts!

I suppose its not really an issue, provided I can live into my 90s.

And still have your eyesight. Not to mention a steady hand.