Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Apollo Nut

Got the first order in yesterday. Included a 'Wind Seeker' rubber band powered foam airplane and a 'Tuff Birds' balsa wood airplane, also rubber band powered, along with the Christmas ornament and a catalog.

I'm torn between starting a Nike Apache or the Honest John. As is typical for many of us, I've got 'several' vintage birds in various states of finish that I REALLY need to be working on: a Centuri ALCM Cruise Missile, a Centuri 1/100 Saturn 1b, a Centuri F-104 Starfighter, and an Estes Patriot (red, white, and blue early 70s kit) and an Estes A20 Demon. But it is tempting to break into one of these 'brand new' kits and start cutting and gluing.

The second order is scheduled for delivery today.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I was strangely thrilled by the Christmas ornament they included. I actually hung it on the tree, which gives me one for the year.

If you need another one here ya go

https://www.ebay.com/i/163978552975...0&ul_noapp=true
Old 12-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Wasted away again.......

So, from what I'm reading, I shouldn't be concerned that my small Black Friday order hasn't made it to PA yet?
Old 12-14-2019, 11:54 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
So, from what I'm reading, I shouldn't be concerned that my small Black Friday order hasn't made it to PA yet?

You should have received a confirmation email from Estes, after you placed your order, with a UPS tracking number so you can at least keep tabs on where your shipment is within the UPS system.

If you did not get that, I'd contact Estes Customer Service and see if they can supply some details for you.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 12-15-2019, 11:08 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842

Sucker born every minute, and they all eventually wind up on eBay.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 12-16-2019, 01:29 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Got the first order in yesterday. Included a 'Wind Seeker' rubber band powered foam airplane and a 'Tuff Birds' balsa wood airplane, also rubber band powered, along with the Christmas ornament and a catalog.

I'm torn between starting a Nike Apache or the Honest John. As is typical for many of us, I've got 'several' vintage birds in various states of finish that I REALLY need to be working on: a Centuri ALCM Cruise Missile, a Centuri 1/100 Saturn 1b, a Centuri F-104 Starfighter, and an Estes Patriot (red, white, and blue early 70s kit) and an Estes A20 Demon. But it is tempting to break into one of these 'brand new' kits and start cutting and gluing.

The second order is scheduled for delivery today.

Earl

I love the #7240 Honest John. I built mine when they first came out. The fin beveling is a bit tedious — I spread it out over a couple weeks! I also had bought a set decals from sandman, so mine is done in medium green. It looks a bit glossy in the pictures but I did my typical gloss clear coat over flat paint, added decals, and then used matte clear. It could use a bit more flattening perhaps. I had bought two, and in the recent Estes sale, bought two more, so I have three “extras” now ...

Mini and #7240 Honest Johns. (Mini also has beveled fins. Those were almost impossible to hold onto to sand.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  422F8DE2-E853-4E3C-BC1F-0F621689C38C.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  408.0 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Sucker born every minute, and they all eventually wind up on eBay.

But hey, since it’s a 2016 ornament then it’s OOP—and therefore highly collectible.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 12-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I love the #7240 Honest John. I built mine when they first came out. The fin beveling is a bit tedious — I spread it out over a couple weeks! I also had bought a set decals from sandman, so mine is done in medium green. It looks a bit glossy in the pictures but I did my typical gloss clear coat over flat paint, added decals, and then used matte clear. It could use a bit more flattening perhaps. I had bought two, and in the recent Estes sale, bought two more, so I have three “extras” now ...

Mini and #7240 Honest Johns. (Mini also has beveled fins. Those were almost impossible to hold onto to sand.)

Yeah, the 7240 is a good size to work with and fly. It’s one of those that ‘seems’ bigger (once you see the parts) than what it seems just reading the specs.

Your finish job looks good; I guess that is an ‘operational’ round decor, as compared to the kit face card for this kit, which I assume is maybe a test round decor. Well, I got enough of them to do both liveries, crash both, and build ‘em both again!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 12-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Wasted away again.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
You should have received a confirmation email from Estes, after you placed your order, with a UPS tracking number so you can at least keep tabs on where your shipment is within the UPS system.

If you did not get that, I'd contact Estes Customer Service and see if they can supply some details for you.

Earl

Yes, I did get an order confirmation email on December 4. A couple of days later I went on a "clean out my email blitz" and it must have been among those that were deleted. It's all kind of moot, because I have enough rocket projects to keep me busy until 2054 if I live that long. I contacted Estes Customer Service via Facebook last night and received a reply today. Yup, my order went out to the Denver USPS location on December 4. And sat there. Until today, when there appeared to be some movement. I can't say enough about Estes' Customer Service!!
Old 12-18-2019, 06:52 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
Yup, my order went out to the Denver USPS location on December 4. And sat there. Until today, when there appeared to be some movement. I can't say enough about Estes' Customer Service!!

USPS service has been getting worse every year but it seems like 6 months ago they did something drastic because I have things coming from two states away that takes a week.
Nothing ever gets here on time according to their own tracking estimates.
Looking around online it seems to be a nationwide thing.
One must be patient with vendors because it seems they can do their best and USPS drops the ball on them....