Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

Default My Clone of the Canaroc Scorpion

I finally finished my clone of the Canaroc Starfleet Scorpion using the parts that my company has produced the Plastic parts for. The panels are hard to clone and need to be pre-formed to the body tubes because once the plastic hardens id can not be wrapped around the body tube. The plans you can print from Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe, and the decals from Tangs Papa Decals, all other parts are estes standard parts and of course I am selling plastic parts. See the parts at http://arley.rocketshoppe.com, page #2.
I will soon be coming out with the Lunar Rocket Display Stands this month, as shown by the picture of the Scorpion. Also thanks to Andy Andres for sending me the Warlock Gun turret plastic part I can now make parts for the Canaroc Warlock. Mr. Andres told me that he paid over $500.00 on ebay for this rear Canaroc kit. If you would be interested in purchasing the plastic parts, that includes 4 panels, 6 gun tubes, and one cockpit nose cone let me know at arleydavis@cox.net.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Canaroc Scorpion Picture.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  46.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Canaroc Warlock Picture.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  28.9 KB  
Old 08-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Arley,

sweet job on the Scorpion. As I detailed in this thread;

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=329

I'm trying to make my Sunward Galactic Wave look as close to the Scorpion as possible. Could you please post some more shots of your kit? Specifically the side and bottom views.

Thanks,
EV
Old 08-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Also,

do you or anyone else have the plans for the Warlock available? I've always wondered how that thing works....

Later,
EV
Old 08-08-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Warloc plans

The plans for the Warlock can be purchased from www.excelsiorrocketry.com, or thats were I purchased them from, with the decals. email them first to make sure thay still are selling the plans. The decals can also be purchased from Tanga Papa and the main booster nose cone was made by Balsa Mach. Works. You will note if you have the pl;ans there are a lot of mistakes in the plans. for example no engine hook is shown.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Starcruiser Warlock BT-60 Nose Cone.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  131.6 KB  
Old 08-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Also,

do you or anyone else have the plans for the Warlock available? I've always wondered how that thing works....

Later,
EV

I've got a set. Want me to e-mail? Not sure if proportions will remain for templates but at least you'll have the plans.

Don
NAR 53455
Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 PM
GET GOONY!!

Hi Guys, I don't sell the plans, but do supply them with the decals. If anyone needs a set of plans and/or patterns for any canaroc kit, please email me. I have most of them.

In regards to the Warlock: The plans do not help me figure out how it works!!

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Old School Rocketeer

I actually have an original 1980 Canaroc catalog. I found it in an old hobby shop in Toronto on a trip in 1986. Ever since then, I've looked at the picture of the Warlock and wondered how it worked.

I originally figured that the ejection charge was ducted through the tubes at the front of the cruiser, or maybe that whole set-up came off with the nose cone. After reading through the instructions carefully, I've figured it out. The engine itself not in the back end of the main cruiser. The engine is placed in the forward mounting tube that carries the glider!

The parachute for the main cruiser is shoved into the back of the glider, and tied to the mounting tube. When the ejection charge goes off, the glider is pushed forward, but the shock cord is still tied to the mount, pulling the main 'chute out of the glider's rear.

It's actually quite an ingenious set-up. I never expected the engine to be located amidships!

Later,
EV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Warlock Engine.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  30.7 KB  
Old 08-09-2005, 12:15 PM

Default The War;ock Engion and plans

I read the instructions real close and it’s true the engine is behind the Strike Vehicle but there’s a problem in this design the BT-100 tube is a BT-20 tube and the motor for the Warlock is a D12-3. It will not work as shown in the plans for the Strike Vehicle and Strike Vehicle Mounting are BT-200 tubes or BT-50 and that’s what you need for the D12-3 Motor. Since I am building my rocket for display only I put the engine block and hook in the back of the Cruiser. As I mentioned earlier the instructions have many mistakes and are not clear.
I also talked to excelsior rocketry and they said it was ok to post the warlock plans on Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe. So as soon as Scott post the 20 or so plans I sent him the last couple of months and my advertisement on my Lunar Rocket Display Stands I will send him a copy of the warlock plans. This way anyone can clone the Canaroc Warlock.
I do need to Know if anyone is interested in the Plastic parts for the Warlock For my Scorpion Plastic Parts are not selling and it’s a waist of time if no one what’s my parts.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Arley,

if you read Step "E" under the "Flying The Starcruiser Warlock" part of the instructions, you'll see that it directs you to wrap tape around the engine for a friction fit. Thus, the motor fits inside the PT-200 (BT-50) tube without an engine hook, and uses the PT-100 (BT-20) as an engine block.

When I get started on mine, I plan to make it as close as I can to the instructions, so I'll give a flight report when the time comes.

As far as the Scorpion parts go, I'm sorry you haven't had much business. I'm getting a sense that there's not a lot of awareness out there about the Canaroc Starfleet kits. Add to that the fact that most can buy an approximation of the Antares and Scorpion (like I did) from Sunward (Gravity Rider and Galactic Wave), and you have a recipie for low demand.

I would populate your site with some nice photos of your Scorpion clone on the lunar display stand. It's very impressive!

Later,
EV
Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Warlock Motor Mount and close up of Scorpion Panels

I have lost to many rockets and I have worked out a better way of building the motor mount. First I will insert a motor block in the back of the Strike Vehicle Mounting and place the Engine hook in the cavity between the two Support Bulkheads and the mounting tube. Next I will cut a coupler for the TB-50 Tube so it rest up next to the Engine block and extends 3” into the Strike Vehicle. After Painting the Cruiser and Strike Vehicle I will glue the coupler in to mounting tube. Next I will attach shock cord to the inside of the coupler like Estes does in their kits. Lastly I will but a BT-50 centering ring with a block into the Strike Vehicle at about 4” up into the rocket so there will be no trouble with the Glider coming off. Know I can place the Parachute into the coupler.
I will have pictures after I finish building the Warlock. Here is a close up of the Scorpion Decals and Panels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Close up of Plastic Panels.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  134.6 KB