Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2020, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Some of us sport fliers have to do spot landings for every launch or else we come home empty handed, so I disagree.

What about maximum duration and maximum altitude ? . . . Winners get prizes !

Also, unless you are flying Competition RC gliders or competing in the "Craftsmanship" events ( Scale, PMC, etc. ), Competition is cheaper than Sport Flying . . . WHY ?

( 1 ) Because most Sport Flyers use Kits, which are much more expensive than scratch-built Competition models.

( 2 ) Kits, generally, LOSE against "purpose-built", "bare bones" Competition models, because they tend to be heavier and less aerodynamic .

In the pics below, which one do you think would win in "C Eggloft" ?

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  EGGSPRESS - 2.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  138.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Egg Lofter 34.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  74.3 KB  
Old 10-06-2020, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
I'm working on it. Need to solve an issue with my printer and get back to them. If things go well, I'll start selling 3D printed hook sets. Here's some test prints. The orange hook, for a pod, is made of two 3D printed halves glued together. Not practical enough to print that in one piece. I will probably print all the hooks using orange filament.

George,

When bonding that material to wood or body tubes, how is the adhesion ?

Does Epoxy give better results or CA ?

Dave F.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:17 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
What about maximum duration and maximum altitude ? . . . Winners get prizes !

Also, unless you are flying Competition RC gliders or competing in the "Craftsmanship" events ( Scale, PMC, etc. ), Competition is cheaper than Sport Flying . . . WHY ?

( 1 ) Because most Sport Flyers use Kits, which are much more expensive than scratch-built Competition models.

( 2 ) Kits, generally, LOSE against "purpose-built", "bare bones" Competition models, because they tend to be heavier and less aerodynamic .

In the pics below, which one do you think would win in "C Eggloft" ?

Dave F.

That's not the point, Dave. It was not a post that was meant to be taken seriously. Competitions are usually on good sized fields. Us sport fliers often fly from fields that compare well to postage stamps. We come home empty handed because the model is in a tree, not because there are no prizes.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It was not a post that was meant to be taken seriously.

Mine was . . .

Dave F.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:43 PM
NASA Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
FWIW - I invented the Apogee Universal Pod Hook, around 1993 when Ed LaCroix owned it, for the Maxima Boost Glider kits.

I recalled at NARAM in 1992, when an A Div flier had a Shecter glider kit, using telescoping brass tubing for hooks, which jammed both flights and Red Baroned (pod stayed on). I wanted to come up with some hook design for the Apogee kit that would not need any assembly, that would work consistently. So consistently, that any glider could use any pod.

I originally had a twin hook design that had two totally different hook pairs. One had two hooks sticking out, and one had two slots. It worked, but it occurred to me later to make them universal, just one master part with both a hook and a slot.
And I designed them so it was practical to cast them using RTV molds and fast-curing casting resin.

I flew the telescoping brass tubing hooks for many years, I still have a few, and still fly them once in a while. They are very lightweight. I never had a single Red Baron, never. I have always been amazed that it has worked every time! They look like they should hang up. They are particularly good at holding the pod and glider together on the pad on a windy day.

I am not saying they are better than than other systems, like George's L hooks, just testifying that I've had great "luck" with them.

Don
SAM#513
NAR #11069
Old 10-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Level 5 Certified

The (now discontinued) NCR North Hawk RC BG used a 3D printed pod hook that was an evolution of George's L hook design. Strength was not an issue. I could probably put the hooks up for sale on the NCR website if there is interest.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3590.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  1.50 MB  
Old 10-08-2020, 03:19 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulldec
I flew the telescoping brass tubing hooks for many years, I still have a few, and still fly them once in a while. They are very lightweight. I never had a single Red Baron, never. I have always been amazed that it has worked every time! They look like they should hang up. They are particularly good at holding the pod and glider together on the pad on a windy day.

It's great that it worked for you. The model I saw, the brass tubing ends were raw, with burrs. I do not know if the kit came with the tubing pre-cut already (so they came with burrs), or had longer pieces that required the builder to cut them, creating the burrs.

In any case, as a kit, it required a lot more special and unique work by the builder to get it to work smoothly, than I think a good kit should require. I mean, how many model rocket kits require a small flat file, also skinny enough to be able to de-burr the inside of the small diameter brass tubing? Most would not have needle files like that. As though building a contest-type glider is not enough of a new or special thing to learn to do without also learning metal-working needing special tools.

As Ed LaCroix and I discussed the glider kits I'd be desiging for Apogee (the Maxima gliders), one of the criteria was a very reliable nad consistent method of attaching the pop-pod, that did not require any special or finicky work by the builder. And so the cast universal hooks were created, where the "hardest" parts of the assembly process were orinting them in the correct direction, and gluing them on with thick CA (in other words, really easy, with zero work on the hook/slot interface).

I'm hoping to get my 3D printer working properly in the next week or so. When I get it working, i'm hoping that the 3D version of the "L-Hook" glider hook prototypes can be mass produced well enough, and if so I'll be selling them.

BTW - none of the above is meant to slam the use of square brass tubing for glider hooks. Some people used them for other pods in the 1970's, worked well for some, and not quite so well for a few others. But the builders were mostly experts (building from plans, often with more scratch-building experience than kit-builders).

There are some methods I use in fabricating some parts for myself, that are not suited for a beginner or typical kit builder to get invovled with.

To pose a theoretical example, if I say to do "X", get out your Dremel tool and use a cut-off wheel. Which does no good for those who do not have that tool, as well as risky to suggest to anyone who may never have used a cut-off wheel before, for their first time to be in fabricating "X".
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer

Last edited by georgegassaway : 10-08-2020 at 03:38 PM.