Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2020, 11:05 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Bernard,

Awhile back you mentioned Multi-Task tape. I had never heard of it, and so I ordered a two-pack from Amazon. Great stuff! It reminds me of package sealing tape, but just thinner and narrower.

I like the translucent blue parts on that Ghost Chaser.

Scotch MuliTask Tape is available at your local STAPLES office supply store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Scotch MultiTask Tape.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  82.9 KB  
Old 05-11-2020, 11:24 PM
Master Modeler

Default It flies - nicely

I got out to Sixty Acres today and along with the B6-4 aged motors research project (of which more later, in another thread), I put the Ghost Chaser up for its first three flights. By the time I got to it things were getting little breezy, so I stuck to Bs in it as well.

It carried a FlightSketch Mini in the payload section for flight data.

It flies nicely and goes just a little higher than a Nova Payloader on Bs, so I'd expect something on the order of 800 feet on an Estes C6 rather than the 1100 foot claim on the box. But it MIGHT touch that on a Q-Jet C12-6.

I also learned a couple of things. The first was that that lovely translucent blue fin can isn't so lovely in the area above the motor after the first flight—which I quite expected.

The other was that if one of the ridges on the motor retainer happens to be lined up with the launch lug loops, it won't go on the rod. This is much like the Star Orbiter if one of the ridges of the screw-on motor retainer is in line with the launch lugs....

Three pictures here. The first is a frame capture liftoff shot from the video of the first flight. The second shows the discolored fin can. The third shows what NOT to do with respect to the motor retainer and the launch lugs.

Flight data can be found here:

Flight 1: https://flightsketch.com/flights/885/
Flight 2: https://flightsketch.com/flights/886/
Flight 3: https://flightsketch.com/flights/888/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Moment-20200511143957095_V2F_2020-05-11_14-40-13_167.PNG
Views: 27
Size:  1.20 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2749.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  1.28 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2764.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  1.30 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-16-2020, 01:27 AM
Master Modeler

I got up to Sixty Acres again this afternoon/evening and can now verify that the Ghost Chaser goes to ~800 feet on an Estes C6-5 and to just short of the claimed 1100 feet on a Q-Jet C12-6.

One notable flight this evening was on a C6-5 with a date code of 5 7 71 - so just over 49 years old! It went more than 10% higher than on two recent C6-5s and the flight was just about perfect in every regard. Great fun.

That length of translucent blue above the forward motor bulkhead is now well and truly black with eight flights on the model.

Flight data here:

Flight 4: https://flightsketch.com/flights/897/ (recent Estes C6-5)
Flight 5: https://flightsketch.com/flights/898/ (Q-Jet C12-6)
Flight 6: https://flightsketch.com/flights/899/ (49-year-old Estes C6-5)
Flight 8: https://flightsketch.com/flights/900/ (Q-Jet B4-4)

It looks like while talking with someone at the field I forgot to upload flight 7 to the FlightSketch log...and right now there's no way to do it after the fact. Nothing remarkable in that flight's data, really.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-16-2020, 02:06 PM
Apollo Nut

Bernard-

Thanks for posting your flight data. Interesting data point on the 1971 C engine. Makes one wonder about the older BP.

I've not ever flown altimeters, but I find the specs on that one (I assume you use the mini that's on the web site from which you post your data?) is pretty remarkable. There may be some on the market that are even smaller (seems I remember seeing ads in the NAR mag for some that are really, really small), but this one seems pretty neat. Would like to try one, once I get a decent flying field established here locally, hopefully soon. The price seems reasonable also.

How long you been flying this one?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-16-2020, 03:24 PM
Master Modeler

That 49-year-old C6-5 was a little bit of a surprise. I did a project - 10 flights on the same model on one afternoon - using B6-4s of various vintages. There the results were a little less clear-cut. That discussion is over in the "still no C5-3s" thread and I need to get back over there and summarize what I saw on Monday doing those flights (and the four from yesterday).

Yes, the FlightSketch Mini (one particular unit) provided that Ghost Chaser flight data. I've been flying them since spring of last year (I started with beta test units and I currently have two betas and three production units on hand).

Altimeters are one of the things that grab my attention and so I've acquired quite a collection and done several projects with them. I've also beta tested for Altus Metrum, Estes and Jolly Logic in addition to Flight Sketch, so I think I have a pretty good feel from a user's perspective of these little gadgets.

There are two on the market that are smaller, one of which is a little less expensive (Altus Metrum MicroPeak), but requires a $50 accessory (and some finesse) to get the flight data other than the apogee out and into a computer. There is another one that's much more expensive but very tiny (Adrel ALT-BMP). That one is used in international competition and requires a Windows computer to read.

There is someting to be said for units that talk to your smart phone (FS Mini, Jolly Logic AltimeterThree) that really beats schlepping a computer to the field.

I could go on for quite some time. Go to the members only area on the NAR web site and look at the new version of the Member Handbook. In there is an article I wrote summarizing most of the under-$100 options. https://www.e-digitaleditions.com/i...-guidebook-2020 See pages 36-41. I left out the Adrel since competiton wasn't really the focus of the article (and the Adrel is enough different in several aspects that it made a long article even longer).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-16-2020, 11:04 PM
Apollo Nut

Thanks for the background and doc link! I’ll do some reading.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970