Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2019, 07:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Another reason DDT should have never been banned.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-22-2019, 07:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Another reason DDT should have never been banned.

This was 1966, Granddaddy had a spray can with DDT mix in it. That nest ended up in the poop mix below......
Old 11-22-2019, 10:42 PM

Good deal !
Now that thar's what I like to hear !

To quote an awful movie- "A Good Bug is a DEAD Bug !"

I'm all for pesticide regulation, just as long as it is no stricter than the regulations of 1947.

Old 11-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
What if he was in an outhouse and a yellow jacket happened to land on the toilet paper just as the wiping motion began?

It would have likely been the mother of all butt-hurts ...

Oh ... sounds like a Joe can confirm this!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 11-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Up until I was about 14, my maternal grandfather refused to allow a flush toilet in the his house. He considered them unsanitary, so everyone who was there used the outhouse. When I was 10, I was taking a deuce in it one Sunday and about halfway through the second grunt felt a sharp pain on my left butt cheek. I jumped up to see a yellow jacket fly away. After hurriedly wiping I went and got a flashlight and went back and looked underneath the seat. Sure enough, there was a big nest of the suckers. It had been there all summer, but I was the first one to get nailed......
Venturing further off topic...

I need to ask folks to post their age and how many relatives they have who had functioning outhouses.

Me, 58. 2 relatives I recall who still had privys in the back yard in the 1960s/70s (and no crapper in the house).

Growing up, I can recall lots of relatives born in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. It's probably unfathomable to the younger generation, but for those relatives, an outhouse wasn't such a big deal. The point is that I'm of that generation when they were still around. In fact, I grew up on a dead end street where a small, country home with a garden backed up to the dead end, and had a privy on the corner of the garden. The house had long ago added indoor plumbing, but the privy stood guard at the corner of the garden and was used to house all the gardening tools, serving as a shed of sorts.

All that begets the next related question: Which is more archaic - a privy or a chamber pot?

Doug

YORF member #11

Last edited by Doug Sams : 11-23-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
It would have likely been the mother of all butt-hurts ...

Oh ... sounds like a Joe can confirm this!

YEP!!!!!
Old 11-23-2019, 08:53 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Venturing further off topic...

I need to ask folks to post their age and how many relatives they have who had functioning outhouses.

Me, 58. 2 relatives I recall who still had privys in the back yard in the 1960s/70s (and no crapper in the house).

Growing up, I can recall lots of relatives born in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. It's probably unfathomable to the younger generation, but for those relatives, an outhouse wasn't such a big deal. The point is that I'm of that generation when they were still around. In fact, I grew up on a dead end street where a small, country home with a garden backed up to the dead end, and had a privy on the corner of the garden. The house had long ago added indoor plumbing, but the privy stood guard at the corner of the garden and was used to house all the gardening tools, serving as a shed of sorts.

All that begets the next related question: Which is more archaic - a privy or a chamber pot?

Doug

63, with 2 sets of relatives who had outhouses instead of toilets in the house. The aforementioned grandfather, and his brother. Neither one put a flush toilet in the house until the early 1970's, and both had to due to colon cancer, on was my grandmother, the other Uncle Jimmy. Neither one could make the long walk to the outhouse any more after their surgeries.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:33 PM

I'm 49.
My maternal grandparents farm next door growing up had an outhouse next to the chicken coop, but always had functional toilets in the house since at least the 30's.

My mothers oldest brother had/has a big dairy farm in Cadillac, Mi.
They have always had an outhouse (still do) on the upper 40 acres of the farm that serves as the campground for annual family reunions. The farm STILL has a dump as well as a cattle fecal pond also. That thing STINXXXX.
Lots of good times on the farm despite the reek.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:54 PM
Flying since 1977

Quote:
I'm 49.
My maternal grandparents farm next door growing up had an outhouse next to the chicken coop, but always had functional toilets in the house since at least the 30's.

They have always had an outhouse (still do) on the upper 40 acres of the farm that serves as the campground for annual family reunions. The farm STILL has a dump as well as a cattle fecal pond also. That thing STINXXXX.

The worst man made stink that I have the displeasure of sniffing was the smell around the cattle feed lots along U.S. 50 in Western Kansas back in 1981. You could smell it about 10 miles on either side of the feed lot, and the wind at the time was from the South. The second worst stench that I encountered was from paper mills in Eastern Tennessee and Northwestern Georgia. Those big industrial chicken farms don't smell very good either.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 11-24-2019, 06:53 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I'm 49.

NOTHING reeks like a pig farm. When I was growing up in southern Glasscock County, one of Dad's friends started a pig farm about 5 miles to the NW of our house. When the blue northers blew in, the smell gagged maggots. Pig crap makes cattle and chicken poop smell good by comparison