Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2020, 02:21 PM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

Default Creality 3D printer questions please :)

Hello fellow rocketeers,
I finally got my first 3D printer Creality CR6 SE and can say that I'm loving it! I started with a 20 x 20mm test cube.

I am printing very nicely with basic settings of .2mm Layer setting; 10% fill; .20 Z Axis setting with Creality PLA filament. Nozzle temp 200 and bed 60C.

This printer has 16 point Auto leveling bed.
================================================== ===

Now for my problems

I brought 3D Solutech PLA Filament and am having all kinds of problems.
It seems to not feed through the Extruder smoothly. I can hear a grinding sound as if the extruder gear is slipping.

How do you adjust the extruder filament tension correctly? With the Creality Filament, I was tighten the tension screw so until I the filament wouldn't slip easy, but this doesn't seem to work with the Solutech PLA?

Also, I believe the temp needs to be higher for proper flow? Just was wondering what temp settings you were using for the nozzle and bed to please?

I removed the Solutech and put the Creality filament back in and all is good, so I know the Solutech doesn't like my settings
=======================

Last edited by Flash : 08-20-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Ciderwright

Which Creality? I have an Ender 5 and a CR10S-S5.

It does sound like the Solutech filament is not flowing properly. If it's a bowden tube type (I can't remember if the newest Creality switched to direct), then you should be able to hold the extruder 'open' and push the filament through by hand (when the nozzle is at temp) pretty easily. Grip the filament a couple inches back, and it shouldn't kink as you push it through. Do it with the Creality filament to get a feel for it, then go to the solutech and try raising the nozzle temp 5C at a time until it flows like the Creality.

Note: that's with the nozzle away from them bed - got to have room for the filament to flow.

Did the same amount of new filament go in as old you pulled out? If you're feeding it in and it only goes a fraction of an inch before hanging, it can catch on an internal surface in the tubing fitting. Wiggle and twist to get it through.

Lastly, a Z offset too low can act like a plugged nozzle - not enough space between the nozzle and bed - but that's not usually filament dependent.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 08-22-2020, 02:55 PM

Default Solutech Red Filament Problem

Ok, I did some checking online and the Red filament from this company was singled out as being a problem for at least two people. Counting me, that makes 3. I Printed Phil the Astronaut with Creality Filament with no problem at all. I decide to try the Solutech Blue roll that I brought. Again, no problem at all, it's feeding through the Extruder just fine and is printing great using the same settings that I used for the Creality. 200C Nozzle temp and 60c bed temp with Z axis setting of .20 above print bed. I'll give the Red Solutech a try at later time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  61974406164__B59D0F33-8B81-4366-B995-7BA0E2CCF107.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  100.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2338.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  101.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2339.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  109.5 KB  
=======================
Old 08-25-2020, 12:03 AM
Craftsman

My favorite solution for filament issues is to use an oiler and try turning the heat up sometimes rolls from the same manufacturer need widely different heat settings to print right. I'm not sure what you mean by getting, but the most common problem with clogs and such issuance causes a rhythmic pooping or clicking sound every two to 5 seconds. That is a definite sign that something is not getting through. Along with piling of you don't want to rush layers not adhering property, try seasoning the hot end.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:42 PM

Hello rocketeers,
I wanted to type a update to this. I went back to the Red Solutech filament and cut about 18" off the start of the roll and refeed it into the printer and had zero problems printing with it at the same settings I've been using for everything. 200C x 60C x .20Z settings. I have also moved to 65C for bed temp, items stick a little better to the bed with no bad side effects.

So I would recommend cutting of 12 to 24" off a new roll before using it. I noticed that the filament can have small kink or two in it when new which can cause feed problems.

Thought I would mention this, since I noticed this on a color change over and it made all the difference for me

Happy printing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_2385.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  90.8 KB  
=======================
Old 09-06-2020, 10:49 PM
Craftsman

You mentioned that you are using PLA and are heating the bed. I have found that with PLA, the first few layers, maybe 1/8" to 1/4" will shrink with a heated bed.

So, I've been coating my bed with the blue removable tape, and not heating the bed. The PLA sticks well enough to the blue tape, and I like that it adds a layer of protection between the extruder and the bed, and between the knife I use to pry off the print and the bed.

With ABS, I heat the bed.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Thank you for your thoughts Dave! Always looking to learn.
=======================
Old 09-10-2020, 07:56 AM

Wanted to give everyone a report on my Creality CR6 se printer printer. I’ve had it for about one month now. The only problem I’ve had at no fault of the printer was the one mentioned above with the Red filament, which was solved by cutting off around 18” of filament from a new roll to get pass any kinks.

The Auto-leveling is awesome! There is no manual bed adjustments on this printer at all. So it’s a true 100% 16 point auto leveling machine.

It heats up the nozzle and bed in about a minute or so, very quiet machine.

I would highly recommend you giving a strong look at this machine if you are in the market of getting one.

I’m a very happy owner

Check out my Jupiter C nose cone
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  178F4CF4-FB3A-465E-950B-E11A62BB1FC2.jpeg
Views: 48
Size:  505.8 KB  
=======================