Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM
TARGET GSTL!

you can try a "splinter" camo patern like i did on my Estes S.W.A.T. I started with the tan base coat and then used masking tape and brushes to add the brown and green.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  S1a.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  60.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  S3a.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  49.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  S2a.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  54.5 KB  
Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Camouflage

Painting CAMOUFLAGE is so easy, its funny. Use freehand-be it airbrush or spraycan. Spray base color, follow by UNMASKED random colors of your choice freely overlapping one another. You can go back over undesireable effects w/o messing up last coat. Any taping,masking or stencils (usually) leave edges-which look un-natural. The idea is to blend in with trees, etc. You dont see edges in trees ! Ive used many coats before getting it right ,and looked like it only had 1 coat. Spray from a distance and you'll get the right effect. Thats the good thing about this method-you can keep going over it until you get it right and never know theres a 'lot' of coats. dannymrmissile.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Painting CAMOUFLAGE is so easy, its funny. Use freehand-be it airbrush or spraycan. Spray base color, follow by UNMASKED random colors of your choice freely overlapping one another. You can go back over undesireable effects w/o messing up last coat. Any taping,masking or stencils (usually) leave edges-which look un-natural. The idea is to blend in with trees, etc. You dont see edges in trees ! Ive used many coats before getting it right ,and looked like it only had 1 coat. Spray from a distance and you'll get the right effect. Thats the good thing about this method-you can keep going over it until you get it right and never know theres a 'lot' of coats. dannymrmissile.
It ends up being too dark, though, unless you are very judicious in applying the "random" colors. Masking helps with that by insuring that the accretion of colors doesn't just end up looking like mud.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
It ends up being too dark, though, unless you are very judicious in applying the "random" colors. Masking helps with that by insuring that the accretion of colors doesn't just end up looking like mud.

Yes, I see your point. We all have our ways, which is good. Unless Ur entering a scale event, etc. mine turn out good enough. Can always tint up w/lighter colors-then go back over. I was just replying to someone who seemed to need a lil help with tha basics. If it gets as thick as "mud" , which it never has w/me, theres always sandpaper. When ya get tha hang of it-ya usually get it right the first time. Im surely not disputing any different ways of doin' it besides mine-on the contrary, others' views are always helpful/welcome ! dannymrmissile.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Forest Sprite

See the photo of my rocket in post #10. It started out being flat khaki all over, before I started adding the other colors. Although I was basically satisfied with the job, it did end up being much darker than I had intended. (I brightened the photo a bit to bring out the colors.) The pattern has leaf outlines, which I wanted, and tape outlines which I didn't want, and the overall effect works except for being on the dark side. The photo attached here was taken on Easter Sunday 2010, with the rockets arranged on the brush pile in my back yard. On the left is my camo FSI Hercules clone, and next to it is my unpainted FSI Hornet clone.

(My mud reference concerned the overall color, not the texture. After being sprayed and re-sprayed with various earth colors, the rocket would eventually take on the appearance of undifferentiated mud, no?)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF1213-2.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  547.8 KB  
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 PM
BAR

Quote:
Any taping,masking or stencils (usually) leave edges-which look un-natural. The idea is to blend in with trees, etc. You dont see edges in trees ! dannymrmissile.

That depends on how much you've had to drink... LOL

OL JR
Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
That depends on how much you've had to drink... LOL

OL JR

He HE He ! dannymrmissile
Old 10-20-2011, 01:11 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
See the photo of my rocket in post #10. It started out being flat khaki all over, before I started adding the other colors. Although I was basically satisfied with the job, it did end up being much darker than I had intended. (I brightened the photo a bit to bring out the colors.) The pattern has leaf outlines, which I wanted, and tape outlines which I didn't want, and the overall effect works except for being on the dark side. The photo attached here was taken on Easter Sunday 2010, with the rockets arranged on the brush pile in my back yard. On the left is my camo FSI Hercules clone, and next to it is my unpainted FSI Hornet clone.

(My mud reference concerned the overall color, not the texture. After being sprayed and re-sprayed with various earth colors, the rocket would eventually take on the appearance of undifferentiated mud, no?)

Looks really good. Ill try to get a photo in of a V-2 I did. Looks much different. Hats off to both (of us).! dannymrmissile.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Looks really good. Ill try to get a photo in of a V-2 I did. Looks much different. Hats off to both (of us).! dannymrmissile.
When I transferred the photos to my computer later that day I had a moment of panic as I scanned the thumbnails: "Hey, where are the shots of the Hercules?" Most of the time when I look at this quite banged-up and not currently flyable rocket, though, I think the scheme is too dark. (Most of the damage is deliberately concealed in the shot.)
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011