Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Master Modeler

Default 20 Years Ago Today

It has been 20 years today that then New Jersey Gov Jim Florio signed into law Senate Bill S-490 eliminating the requirement to purchase a permit to buy model rocket motors.

It basically cost the residents (over 21) to purchase the permit for a fee of $2.00, no test was required.

It cost the State more than the $2.00 to process and mail out the permits.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
It has been 20 years today that then New Jersey Gov Jim Florio signed into law Senate Bill S-490 eliminating the requirement to purchase a permit to buy model rocket motors.

It basically cost the residents (over 21) to purchase the permit for a fee of $2.00, no test was required.

It cost the State more than the $2.00 to process and mail out the permits.

Yeah that's the gubment for you

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 01-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Master Modeler

I remember my cousin, uncle and I driving to Trenton, circa 1971, to pick up the form and booklet for the permit. I was a New Yorker, but my uncle was really stoked on the idea of launching rockets. (This really impressed me; my father wouldn't cross the street to help me with one of my hobbies.)

The permits were issued by the Bureau of Mines, as I recall. Because rockets were explosives and explosives were used in blasting minerals, I guess.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I remember my cousin, uncle and I driving to Trenton, circa 1971, to pick up the form and booklet for the permit. I was a New Yorker, but my uncle was really stoked on the idea of launching rockets. (This really impressed me; my father wouldn't cross the street to help me with one of my hobbies.)

The permits were issued by the Bureau of Mines, as I recall. Because rockets were explosives and explosives were used in blasting minerals, I guess.

You are correct about the Bureau of Mines, but, model rocket were not considered "explosives" otherwise you would have been under the same rules and regulations as dynamite etc.

I guess the State couldn't figure out what classification they would fall under, I guess they could have put them in with the fireworks regulations, but, as we all know, they were classified as "Toy Propellant Devices".

I did meeti with Gov Florio at the time and presented his with a plaque and Patriot missile for his signing the bill.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I guess Florio was good for something!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCurtis
I guess Florio was good for something!

If you are familiar with RT287. At the time (election) Florio had expedited the work 24/7 inorder to complete it quickly. But, unfortunately, he wasn't re-elected.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Master Modeler

I think I still have my "license" in one of my boxes. I remember being astounded when the guy at the hobby shop told me I needed one to buy motors. Took a week or two to get it. I still have some of those motors. Estes "Cobra" the packaging says. Long ago and far away.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
I think I still have my "license" in one of my boxes. I remember being astounded when the guy at the hobby shop told me I needed one to buy motors. Took a week or two to get it. I still have some of those motors. Estes "Cobra" the packaging says. Long ago and far away.

We have COUNTIES bigger than New Jersey in Texas... why not just hop in the car, dart to the closest hobby shop over the border in someplace (slightly) more sane, and buy motors there, and let the gov't pound sand??

There isn't anyplace in Jersey I know of that you can't get out of the state in an hour... LOL

Oh well... OL JR
Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
snip... why not just hop in the car, dart to the closest hobby shop over the border in someplace (slightly) more sane, and buy motors there, and let the gov't pound sand??

Oh well... OL JR

I live on Maryland's Eastern Shore now. Back where I started from. After 25–30 years in Philly and Jersey—I didn't remember how nice it is to live here. "The Land of Pleasant Living." Indeed.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Master Modeler

Permits are gone, back in 1992.

Problem with Jersey is that you are hard pressed to find a launch site. The schools tell you that the firelds are for SPORTS. Everyone pays high taxes and all should benefit.

In my town, the football field looks like the exercise yard to a prison, teen foot chain link fencing all around. I brought that up to the Mayor And Council one time.